Mod Feedback ChromatiCraft questions and suggestions

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
For me, they are undestructable unless you are in creative.
Hmm that is weird. We have been temporarily disabling all near pylons with no problems. Just breaking that block and placing it on the ground near the pylon so that we can later restore them.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Is there a way to destroy the pylon block itself?
No.

Hmm that is weird. We have been temporarily disabling all near pylons with no problems. Just breaking that block and placing it on the ground near the pylon so that we can later restore them.
He means the actual TileEntity block.

Also, you are aware that disabling them like that has repercussions, right?

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Aside from the obvious draining of all energy, meaning it will take hours to recharge, it plays hell with the network logic.

Ok, for now this is not really an issue. The pylons we have been breaking are in the overworld and when we start with Chromaticraft we'll probably do it in another dimension anyway.
But thanks for the warning.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Ok, for now this is not really an issue. The pylons we have been breaking are in the overworld and when we start with Chromaticraft we'll probably do it in another dimension anyway.
But thanks for the warning.
As of v3, there will be no other dimension in which to use ChromatiCraft.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
As of v3, there will be no other dimension in which to use ChromatiCraft.

Ah. Well in that case I'll just go very far away :) Anyway I already have a lot of dimensions from mystcraft which are populated with pylons.

CapJackH

Jul 29, 2019
My actual concern is people making pylons more rare - as many have expressed a desire to do - and then complaining later when they now need 50x as many repeaters as before. Pylons may seem overly common, but in actual fact you will usually be finding them inconveniently sparse.
Yes. Sometimes they are inconveniently sparse:p Could we fix this somehow then? If it's a config option, would players really complain that they themselves set the option to have them too infrequent?

I did some looking into ChromC's github repository and found this under /World/PylonGenerator
Code:
    private final int avgDist = 10; //16
    private final int maxDeviation = 4;
    private final Random rand = new Random();
Code:
private void fillArray(World world) {
        int id = world.provider.dimensionId;
        rand.setSeed(world.getSeed() ^ id);
        boolean[][] grid = this.getGrid(id);
        for (int x = maxDeviation; x < GRIDSIZE-maxDeviation; x += avgDist) {
            for (int z = maxDeviation; z < GRIDSIZE-maxDeviation; z += avgDist) {
                int x2 = ReikaRandomHelper.getRandomPlusMinus(x, maxDeviation);
                int z2 = ReikaRandomHelper.getRandomPlusMinus(z, maxDeviation);
                grid[x2][z2] = true;
I'm new to reading java, but it seems that you generate a grid of the pylons at distance 10 from each-other, with some random deviation +/- 4. So changing the 10/4 would change the distance between pylons if I'm not mistaken? What are the units on the avgDist and mavDeviation? Chunks?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Yes. Sometimes they are inconveniently sparse:p Could we fix this somehow then? If it's a config option, would players really complain that they themselves set the option to have them too infrequent?

I did some looking into ChromC's github repository and found this under /World/PylonGenerator
Code:
    private final int avgDist = 10; //16
    private final int maxDeviation = 4;
    private final Random rand = new Random();
Code:
private void fillArray(World world) {
        int id = world.provider.dimensionId;
        rand.setSeed(world.getSeed() ^ id);
        boolean[][] grid = this.getGrid(id);
        for (int x = maxDeviation; x < GRIDSIZE-maxDeviation; x += avgDist) {
            for (int z = maxDeviation; z < GRIDSIZE-maxDeviation; z += avgDist) {
                int x2 = ReikaRandomHelper.getRandomPlusMinus(x, maxDeviation);
                int z2 = ReikaRandomHelper.getRandomPlusMinus(z, maxDeviation);
                grid[x2][z2] = true;
I'm new to reading java, but it seems that you generate a grid of the pylons at distance 10 from each-other, with some random deviation +/- 4. So changing the 10/4 would change the distance between pylons if I'm not mistaken? What are the units on the avgDist and mavDeviation? Chunks?
Yes, chunks, and you are correct about the algorithm.

I fine-tuned it to those numbers after a great deal of testing; less deviation, and it becomes too gridlike; more deviation, and it becomes too random and you get adjacent pylons and giant voids; smaller spacing, and pylons are too common; larger spacing, and you will find yourself traveling 5000 blocks for a given pylon color.

Also keep in mind that less than 20% of pylon spawns succeed.

CapJackH

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, chunks, and you are correct about the algorithm.

I fine-tuned it to those numbers after a great deal of testing; less deviation, and it becomes too gridlike; more deviation, and it becomes too random and you get adjacent pylons and giant voids; smaller spacing, and pylons are too common; larger spacing, and you will find yourself traveling 5000 blocks for a given pylon color.

Also keep in mind that less than 20% of pylon spawns succeed.
Okay thanks! I trust your fine-tuning then! I may run some tests across multitudes of worlds to see what the experimental placement is with all the jumbled worldgen. I found this new mod that allows a player to pregen chunks so it wouldn't be hard to generate many square kilometers of chunks and then view the pylons with mapwriter. Do you Reika know if there is a way to have the crystal pylon entities (I assume entities?) show as different colors in mapwriter? I know the blocks can, but I am not sure how the crystal pylons would appear to mapwriter. It would be a nice feature to be able to use mapwriter or a similar map in order to find pylons around you.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Do you Reika know if there is a way to have the crystal pylon entities (I assume entities?) show as different colors in mapwriter? I know the blocks can, but I am not sure how the crystal pylons would appear to mapwriter. It would be a nice feature to be able to use mapwriter or a similar map in order to find pylons around you.
That is TileEntity data, and determined programmatically. There is no way for this to be possible.

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
Is there ever going to be a way to construct additional pylons? I require additional pylons for my current setup. Right now my only choice is to spam repeaters in a desert.

I don't mind if it requires insane amounts of Rotary power or RF in order to charge the pylons, just as long as I have a method to construct additional pylons.

It doesn't have to be available in Survival. I only want it for testing purposes and making light shows in Creative.

Last edited:
Reactions: PierceSG

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
Actually i'm having a bit of a difficulty building a ritual table.

I've copied it as closely as I could from the showcase video and filled in the rest with assumptions but it still appears not to function at all. Is the inside hollow or filled, and with what? It's also unclear what the outer material was made from so I assumed it was just regular crystal stone.

Right now the design is as follows:

Bottom layer filled with crystal stone
Next layer filled with crystal stone, edged with embossed and sided with beams
The 3rd layer is similar but is not filled at all as to make room for the internal layer
The top layer has engraved in the 4 corners, resting on a 1 deep of pillar
The internal layer contains a 3x3 of liquid chroma with the table resting overtop with stone boarding the pool

I am supplying it with the following elements, all of which have been confirmed to be connected properly:

Pink (Ruzova)
Magenta (Kurarui)
Purple (Zambarau)
Orange (Portokali)
Yellow (Kitrino)
White (Argai)
Green (Kijani)
Gray (Ykri)
Blue (Nila)

What am I doing wrong?

CapJackH

Jul 29, 2019
Was there any decision/progress on some sort of in-game documentation? I know Reika had said he didn't like the idea of the Thaumcraft style book. Coolsquid321 had suggested some sort of stone tablet. Regardless of what it is, have any thoughts been put towards it? Would it be ready when v3 comes out so in addition to actually being able to craft items, we could know how?:p Thanks

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Is there ever going to be a way to construct additional pylons? I require additional pylons for my current setup. Right now my only choice is to spam repeaters in a desert.

I don't mind if it requires insane amounts of Rotary power or RF in order to charge the pylons, just as long as I have a method to construct additional pylons.

It doesn't have to be available in Survival. I only want it for testing purposes and making light shows in Creative.
No.

Was there any decision/progress on some sort of in-game documentation? I know Reika had said he didn't like the idea of the Thaumcraft style book. Coolsquid321 had suggested some sort of stone tablet. Regardless of what it is, have any thoughts been put towards it? Would it be ready when v3 comes out so in addition to actually being able to craft items, we could know how?:p Thanks
6sVvTt1.png

2cJHIDf.png

H0IbdJO.png

UVHgFRB.png

6iDkivs.png

2CLZkUk.png

l0lHMPa.png

iXnbaWk.png

The GUIs have since changed their style, however:
QMRfzRk.png

Actually i'm having a bit of a difficulty building a ritual table.

I've copied it as closely as I could from the showcase video and filled in the rest with assumptions but it still appears not to function at all. Is the inside hollow or filled, and with what? It's also unclear what the outer material was made from so I assumed it was just regular crystal stone.

Right now the design is as follows:

Bottom layer filled with crystal stone
Next layer filled with crystal stone, edged with embossed and sided with beams
The 3rd layer is similar but is not filled at all as to make room for the internal layer
The top layer has engraved in the 4 corners, resting on a 1 deep of pillar
The internal layer contains a 3x3 of liquid chroma with the table resting overtop with stone boarding the pool

I am supplying it with the following elements, all of which have been confirmed to be connected properly:

Pink (Ruzova)
Magenta (Kurarui)
Purple (Zambarau)
Orange (Portokali)
Yellow (Kitrino)
White (Argai)
Green (Kijani)
Gray (Ykri)
Blue (Nila)

What am I doing wrong?
Hold tab while mousing over it.

CapJackH

Jul 29, 2019
OOOOoooo!!! That looks really good!! Great job. I like that it looks so unique compared to other mods yet still really intuitive! Is there going to be progression where you cannot see the higher tiers, or will you be able to look ahead in the mod?
Also, those models that just have blue/green/red. Are those only temporary textures? Will we see those textures soon?
And the diagram for the casting complex, it would be nice if we could click and drag the model around to see the other sides similar to the GUI on capacitor banks from enderio.