The Magmatic Engine

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

dragonmaster0283

Jul 29, 2019
I feel as though it should have a lower power output or a higher consumption rate of lava. But honestly, it's balanced for TE, not other mods. It works well with the intended progression of TE, and that's all that they were going for.

Actually I think it was changed to cost more lava recently. I see that it takes 50mb at a time now instead of 10mb at a time from before. However thats all relative when you have basically infinite lava coming in. But really a lot of power generators can make power automatically easily. Some are more fun then others of course. Really any generator that can use charcoal can easily be a set and forget since a simple tree farm can feed it. Its really up to the player themselves on how much fun they want to make it. If they want to go the boring lava route and pump it and forget it, thats up to them. Charcoal farm to Steam generators, ok fine, its a little more involved and bigger build. Witch farm feeding the new dynamo's or heated redstone generators. Enderman for the ender generators. Even if they want to be "eco-friendly" and use solar's ok fine.

Plus several mods have started to put configs for server owners to nerf/buff things as they see fit. Its really pointness to nerf the magmatic cause then some other form will be the new easy boring way. Its up to the player on how easy/hard they want to make the game to provide the most fun and unique builds.

Last edited:

RandomMoped

Popular Member
Nov 17, 2012
Somewhere on the internet
I used to agree with points like this, but know I think these "X mods are OP" arguments are silly, if you wanna make your power gen the most efficient at the cost of not having as much fun, so be it. I've been playing in a world for a few days know using almost exclusively thaumcraft (and a bit of enderIO for ore processing) and I've been having a blast. Never have I thought, "damn, I'd be doing so much better if I'd been pumping lava out of the nether right now". And if you're in a multiplayer server where this is actually an issue, MineTweaker (installed by default in DW20) can allow you to change any recipe.

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
Actually I think it was changed to cost more lava recently. I see that it takes 50mb at a time now instead of 10mb at a time from before. However thats all relative when you have basically infinite lava coming in. But really a lot of power generators can make power automatically easily. Some are more fun then others of course. Really any generator that can use charcoal can easily be a set and forget since a simple tree farm can feed it. Its really up to the player themselves on how much fun they want to make it. If they want to go the boring lava route and pump it and forget it, thats up to them. Charcoal form to Steam generators, ok fine, its a little more involved and bigger build. Witch farm feeding the new dynamo's or heated redstoen generators. Enderman for the ender generators. Even if they want to be "eco-friendly" and use solar's ok fine.

Plus several mods have started to put configs for server owners to nerf/buff things as they see fit. Its really pointness to nerf the magmatic cause then some other form will be the new easy boring way. Its up to the player on how easy/hard they want to make the game to provide the most fun and unique builds.
I feel like this conversation is becoming the problem that DKS1 and DKS2 is having. DKS1 is harder than DKS2 then other people disagree but when its less DKS1 is harder its more that DKS1 puts you in situations that aren't fair. I like feeling restricted like DKS1 is to DKS2. I don't like having the option to go the easy way.

I used to agree with points like this, but know I think these "X mods are OP" arguments are silly, if you wanna make your power gen the most efficient at the cost of not having as much fun, so be it. I've been playing in a world for a few days know using almost exclusively thaumcraft (and a bit of enderIO for ore processing) and I've been having a blast. Never have I thought, "damn, I'd be doing so much better if I'd been pumping lava out of the nether right now". And if you're in a multiplayer server where this is actually an issue, MineTweaker (installed by default in DW20) can allow you to change any recipe.
I feel the same and I do use Minetweaker and Tabula Rasa to change things around for my personal play; Example being that I have made Oiled versions of all of the Thermal Expansion gears which are required for all TE Engines but everything else that uses Gears from it don't require it meaning the engines require you to find Oil from Buildcraft putting you at near Gasoline Tier before you can use TE Engines. This has been my fix for some of it.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Some people just like to build, but want the survival experience.

Some people are just not that tech-savvy, so this is an easy way for them to get some tech.

Some people just want to see the nether a safer place, so they drain it all of its hazardous red goop.

Me? I prefer feeding culinary generators zombie flesh, going out every night to hunt them.

wolfpax181

Jul 29, 2019
I guess I'll just buckle on this one because after thinking about it its less the Magmatic Engine more the power system it self having no downsides to mass power production, movement and storage. In short the "patch" I will hopefully be making (If I get the permission to) that will not be apart of the base mod obviously will fix this issue. Any objections to this as a note? I feel it's just a nice way to make power production matter more.

I think you're on a better path there than the original dislike of the magmatic dynamo and being interested in changing it. I don't know how you could force people to be more creative without brewing resentment of your mod though. I do agree that lava power is lazy, it's why I'm avoid it. The more I think about it though, I'd be hard pressed to come up with any power generation from any mod that can't be used in a very lazy way. Brute-forcing power isn't an issue that can be overcome in any meaningful way I can think of, at least not in the context of how Minecraft works. I'm looking forward to what you can come up with.

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
Have you tried BC pipes now? They have a low extraction/transfer limit and have loss build in. Extracting and transfering high amounts of power that way is... whats the word, tedious? Without TE that also means no energy storage, might be what you are looking for?
What loss? There is no loss yet, I plan to restore it as an off by default config option. And yes, lossless energy storage is not exactly perfect from BC design's PoV.