1.7.10 Alpha Packs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dracathio

Jul 29, 2019
alright, so I guess this has already been asked several times, but my attention span sucks so I'll ask this myself. Will the following be added later on or will only a few of them be added on: Ars Magika, Geo Strata, Farlanders, and Microblocks?

I ask mainly about Ars Magika because that is the mod we've been waiting for to be updated into the Mage Quest [aka Magic World 3] pack, because the server I play is waiting for Mage Quest to finish up testing and be in finished state, and a lot of us are hoping it will be added, but if not I would like to know if the pack will be stable enough for Ars Magika 3 to be added in order for the server to have one of it's Favorite mods still in there.

If not I guess the server would have to stick of Magic World 2, unless you plan to later on make updates to MW2 and add the updated versions of the mods.

Either way, hope to get an answer back.

Digger

Jul 29, 2019
So, something seems to be screwing with biome creation in Mage Quest. Every world I create only has a couple of biomes. My main test world only has Savannah, Savannah Plateau, Desert (and lots of it), Ocean, and Plains. Using the exact same seed in the Lite pack, I get all sorts of biomes.

In MageQuest 1.0.2, I am seeing exactly the same biomes and surface generation as I do in Vanilla.

Thaumcraft nodes are also generating in the same locations as they did in 1.7.2, but Magical Forest biomes appear to be much less common.

Enjoy, and
KeepOnDigging!

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Beat the end... came back through the portal and got an error that multipart in some location that I didn't record no longer existed or something. Crashed the game.[DOUBLEPOST=1411736132][/DOUBLEPOST]Reloaded game and everything's good. I think that happened in 1.6 but I never got that message. It would just shut down the server.

Gizmit

Jul 29, 2019
In MageQuest 1.0.2, I am seeing exactly the same biomes and surface generation as I do in Vanilla.

Thaumcraft nodes are also generating in the same locations as they did in 1.7.2, but Magical Forest biomes appear to be much less common.

Enjoy, and
KeepOnDigging!
Yeah, after some pretty extensive testing, I'm going to retract my previous statement.

Thaumcraft causes some minor changes in biome layout between Vanilla, but only around areas where Thaumcraft inserts Magical Forests.

I was just *extremely* unlucky in my initial seeds. Seriously, the first had a thousand chunk wide desert surrounded by Savannas, the second a Mycelium archipelago larger than the entirety of my 1.6.4 world, and the third was a single jungle biome that I stopped pregenning after it was the same 100 chunks in every direction. 1.7 just has the potential for some huge biomes.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Omgerd... lol anyone try a Mfr farm with spruce saps? Starts looking like a mini redwood if you turn it off...

Darva

Jul 29, 2019
Ok looks like the Tubes mod is too heavy for Lite. Figured it was worth testing on more than just my computer.
If you disable displaying the items in the tubes ( I:maxItemRenderDistance=1) the FPS drop disappears, so there's some sort of problem with the way the developer is rendering items.

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
I've played around with additions to Lite 2 for a while. I tried the Tubes mod, and I had the same problems with render lag and routing pipes, so I removed it. My current changes to Lite 2 are:

* Disabled Agriculture and Switches since I never used them.
* Disabled Fancy Fences because they interfered with several other mod items and I never used the walls.
* Added Big Reactors (more power with less lag for laser drill and ender quarry!), Simply Jetpacks (nice to see that made it into the last iteration of Lite 2 and the Alpha of Lite 3), ComputerCraft (extremely useful with MFR rednet, often more than the PRC), Railcraft (because I like better rails, and steam boilers are an incidental Nice Thing for powergen), and Steve's Factory Manager (very lightweight, and INCREDIBLE for small or fiddly automation projects).
* Added Sync, though I'm not sure it's as useful as it seemed. About all I use it for is an armor stand replacement and only sometimes teleportation.

So now I have several ways to automate stuff, and some new options for big power (even if there are only a few things that need it). I really like having a handful of well-chosen options, instead of Only One Way, and now I don't have to spam dynamos if I don't want to.

I hope this is useful info for adjustments to Lite 3. :)

Reactions: pc_assassin

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I've played around with additions to Lite 2 for a while. I tried the Tubes mod, and I had the same problems with render lag and routing pipes, so I removed it. My current changes to Lite 2 are:

* Disabled Agriculture and Switches since I never used them.
* Disabled Fancy Fences because they interfered with several other mod items and I never used the walls.
* Added Big Reactors (more power with less lag for laser drill and ender quarry!), Simply Jetpacks (nice to see that made it into the last iteration of Lite 2 and the Alpha of Lite 3), ComputerCraft (extremely useful with MFR rednet, often more than the PRC), Railcraft (because I like better rails, and steam boilers are an incidental Nice Thing for powergen), and Steve's Factory Manager (very lightweight, and INCREDIBLE for small or fiddly automation projects).
* Added Sync, though I'm not sure it's as useful as it seemed. About all I use it for is an armor stand replacement and only sometimes teleportation.

So now I have several ways to automate stuff, and some new options for big power (even if there are only a few things that need it). I really like having a handful of well-chosen options, instead of Only One Way, and now I don't have to spam dynamos if I don't want to.

I hope this is useful info for adjustments to Lite 3. :)

LITE 2???

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
LITE 2???
...is that a problem? Honestly, I would love to add Hydraulicraft to Lite 3 for private use (in fact I probably will), but the Lite series isn't really a full-on tech pack, and TE plus MFR already cover ore processing and crop farming.

As it stands, to Lite 3 I'd add CraftHeraldry (last chance to use, and it increases server playability) and SFM. CC is an option, not necessarily required.

EDIT: ...oh yes, and I think I'll also give Botania a private look-see with Lite 3. One solid, straight-up magic mod in a collection of tech-primary stuff really switches things up.

Last edited:

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
...is that a problem? Honestly, I would love to add Hydraulicraft to Lite 3 for private use (in fact I probably will), but the Lite series isn't really a full-on tech pack, and TE plus MFR already cover ore processing and crop farming.

As it stands, to Lite 3 I'd add CraftHeraldry (last chance to use, and it increases server playability) and SFM. CC is an option, not necessarily required.

EDIT: ...oh yes, and I think I'll also give Botania a private look-see with Lite 3. One solid, straight-up magic mod in a collection of tech-primary stuff really switches things up.

Yeah Lite is really about being as small as possible while still covering the basic tech. Kind of "Enhanced Vanilla". Leaves room for customizing, and still works on most toaster/potatos

bbiiggffoott

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry if this has already been answered, but when might an update for magequest come out? I remember Gustoniaeagle saying one would be released in a couple days on the 22, but I don't believe one was released.

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah Lite is really about being as small as possible while still covering the basic tech. Kind of "Enhanced Vanilla". Leaves room for customizing, and still works on most toaster/potatos
I'd love to debate this, as I have been running Lite 2 quite well with those additions on my old baked potato of a laptop (with the helpful inclusion of Optifine, without which even base Lite 2 is too much). I think one or two reasonably compact, well-designed magic mods would round out Lite quite well, without making it bloated. Adding SFM should really be a fait accompli, especially if CC is not being considered; rednet is well and good, but I find it hard to work with for complex systems control.

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
I'd love to debate this, as I have been running Lite 2 quite well with those additions on my old baked potato of a laptop (with the helpful inclusion of Optifine, without which even base Lite 2 is too much). I think one or two reasonably compact, well-designed magic mods would round out Lite quite well, without making it bloated. Adding SFM should really be a fait accompli, especially if CC is not being considered; rednet is well and good, but I find it hard to work with for complex systems control.
Don't debate the modpack makers about the purpose of their own modpacks. Keep in mind that the maker of optifine doesn't let modpacks use his mod so they can't even say that their users should go and use it.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
The only non-performance-killing magic mod I can think of is Witchery, tbh. Botania, Thaumcraft, Ars Magica, Minegicka, and all those other ones I can't think of right now have such fancy graphics and stuff.

And yeah I as well couldn't run base Lite 2 (not that I really wanted to, I was bored of tech at that time anyway). I could run Magic World 2 like a champ though.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
The only non-performance-killing magic mod I can think of is Witchery, tbh. Botania, Thaumcraft, Ars Magica, Minegicka, and all those other ones I can't think of right now have such fancy graphics and stuff.

And yeah I as well couldn't run base Lite 2 (not that I really wanted to, I was bored of tech at that time anyway). I could run Magic World 2 like a champ though.
Blood Magic.

Reactions: SatanicSanta
Status
Not open for further replies.