Thoughts about open source Minecraft alternatives?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
With this whole Microsoft/Mojang debacle, I was considering moving to Minetest. But it only has 8-10 mods. Compared to Minecraft, it's modding community is tiny. Thoughts about the Minecraft alternatives:

Last edited:

KnightOwl

Jul 29, 2019
It's not a debacle until Microsoft actually does something wrong with Minecraft. Personally I've been impressed enough with the changes the development arm of Microsoft has made (ASP.Net vNext team working to ensure Mono is going to work out of the box, KnockoutJs becoming a big part of ASP.Net MVC without them taking it over are two examples) that I'm willing to sit and see what happens.

And if Microsoft does mess things up I'd be a lot more interested in the modder driven project that was hinted at in the other discussion.

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Microsoft issue is not the only one. Using open source product as a base will give a lot more freedom and less fool's work with catching up to every update.

As for Minetest, I think Terasology is more interesting, because Terasology is written in Java, and this makes modding easier and safer than C++ and performance will be better than Lua (Minetest's script language).

Maybe change title to "Thouths about open source Minecraft alternatives"?

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Microsoft issue is not the only one. Using open source product as a base will give a lot more freedom and less fool's work with catching up to every update.

As for Minetest, I think Terasology is more interesting, because Terasology is written in Java, and this makes modding easier and safer than C++ and performance will be better than Lua (Minetest's script language).

Maybe change title to "Thouths about open source Minecraft alternatives"?
Done.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
The main issue is it is written in two languages; C++ and Lua, which mod developers may not know/want to learn just to use Minetest. Java being the language MC is written in plays a big part in the amount of mods there are.

Also, I've heard games written in C++ are a PITA to mod.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
The only "debacle" here is that people are throwing tantrums about nothing... 100% of the damage that has come out of this rumored deal so far has been caused by the community, to the community. I just can't stop shaking my head.

As for Minetest, I don't know enough about it to form an opinion. But from the screenshots alone, it looks like a direct clone of Minecraft from 3-4 years ago. In which case it won't be a viable alternative for me personally.

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
I think that if the **** hits the fan with MS I will go to this or the game "idea" that @King Lemming was telling us about.

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Golrith

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Some time ago I actually started (more as an experiment) my own Minecraft lookalike. It is written in C++ (and uses my own Open Source Crystal Space engine) and also python for game logic/modding purposes. Due to lack of time the project was stopped but it would be possible to revive it (or an alternative).

Also Terasology is looking promising. Another option and it is java which we all know well.

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
The only "debacle" here is that people are throwing tantrums about nothing... 100% of the damage that has come out of this rumored deal so far has been caused by the community, to the community. I just can't stop shaking my head.

Of course none of the damage so far is from Microsoft take-over of mojang- they haven't done that yet.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Which person who played around with 3D and game programming didn't try to make a Minecraft clone yet? :D

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I'd love to look at Terasology. But, it would seem connecting to their forums is impossible...

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Terasology looks interesting due to the higher stock graphical fidelity (while still preserving the blocky charme). Thing is, this game is something like 2.5 years old, and after a (very small) number of previews in 2012, I have heard absolutely nothing of it. I know that there's such a thing as flying under the radar in Minecraft's shadow, but well... you'd think that any game eager to carve a niche out for itself would at least try to attract some attention now and then. So I'm wary.

Of course, I can't get to their forums either :p

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Their servers might be overloaded with people panicking over THE END OF MINECRAFT, THE UNIVERSE AND EVERYTHING, because, you know, it's more important than anything else in life.
From what I hear, they've been like this the past couple days. Also, slightly worried about there not being a commit to their github for almost a month...

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Wouldn't it be out of this world if everything actually ended up alright from this entire affair: either Microsoft doesn't buy MC and modders continue, or Microsoft buys MC and actually doesn't "deign" to frown upon mod/ders?
Of course, given my luck... NAH.
If MC goes downhill, I'll just stick to the versions that have these awesome mods! And then all the modders and their fans and the players of said mods can go hide in an obscure IRC channel until things settle down again.