Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone who is more knowledgeable about what this whole "sponge" deal care to provide some insight on what it may mean the for future of modded minecraft?

Basically the bukkit drama bomb exploded (search reddit for details and keep it off these forums) and the community is trying to put the pieces back together into something better for all. As a result a lot of the big names from the many projects effected by this are coming together to make a ultra compatible replacement. Which will link with forage to facilitate greater abilities while also being able to support vanilla clients with out forage.

For more info just read the FAQ on the site Eyamaz linked too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jadedcat

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
Hopefully Microsoft does what Amazon did with Twitch, and leaves them to their business, only coming in as support(Java devs anybody? Minecraft finally coded right.).

Sure, Microsoft is known to fiercely support Java ;) More likely they rewrite it in C#, with the nice side-effect of locking out "strange" operating systems.

Also, don't assume too much about the ability of the average Microsoft programmer.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Ugh. There we go. Now you need RF and FMP to use it. I don't use either of these. This annoys me.
Why wouldn't you use FMP? It can be of use in almost any modpack.

As for why it needs power, well.......frames, especially RP2-style frames, are pretty broken OP for free. Frame mining machines are probably the best type of automated mining there is, period, and having that kind of power for literally no running cost at all is not good. As for why it's RF, what else would realistically work here? EU maybe, but EU is very rarely used outside of a total-conversion environment where this likely wouldn't fit and shaft power also isn't a great idea IMO. Some magic mods can convert to RF via Botania.

And of course we can just ask for configs on power usage.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Why wouldn't you use FMP? It can be of use in almost any modpack.
I rarely use any sort of microblocks, and if I do/can, I use Immibis. The only reason I use FMP is because a million mods require it.
As for why it needs power, well.......frames, especially RP2-style frames, are pretty broken OP for free. Frame mining machines are probably the best type of automated mining there is, period, and having that kind of power for literally no running cost at all is not good. As for why it's RF, what else would realistically work here? EU maybe, but EU is very rarely used outside of a total-conversion environment where this likely wouldn't fit and shaft power also isn't a great idea IMO. Some magic mods can convert to RF via Botania.
I get why he did it, it just annoys me that now if I want to use it, I need to install a mod that can create RF natively. My current modlist consists of magic mods with no RF support, adventure mods, cosmetic mods, and Reika's mods.
And of course we can just ask for configs on power usage.
I suppose so.

Reactions: Padfoote

Arkandos

Jul 29, 2019
I get why he did it, it just annoys me that now if I want to use it, I need to install a mod that can create RF natively. My current modlist consists of magic mods with no RF support, adventure mods, cosmetic mods, and Reika's mods.
Couldn't you just use Reikas mods to convert to RF?
Or does that require a mod actually using the RF api?

Edit: In other news: MagicBees has 1800+ downloads on the newest version \o/