Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
I've talked to Emoniph about this, and he said, IIRC, that this was not the plan or goal of the mod, and just about everything should be about as useful in SSP as SMP. I have found this to be true, after experimenting with literally everything in it.
I'm sure that's the case, and don't get me wrong I still like the mod. I have it in my SSP world for the things I do find useful in the mod, plus the fact that some of that stuff is just pretty damn cool (creating a portal to hell and unleashing everything inside? I'M IN!). But half the circle magic, some of the equipment and even many of the potions are very much for SMP use only.
Whoo got the one year anniversary Trophy. LOL
Half the forums lol.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure that's the case, and don't get me wrong I still like the mod. I have it in my SSP world for the things I do find useful in the mod, plus the fact that some of that stuff is just pretty damn cool (creating a portal to hell and unleashing everything inside? I'M IN!). But half the circle magic, some of the equipment and even many of the potions are very much for SMP use only.
I suppose I can't argue with that. Honestly, if I hated the rest of Witchery, I would still install it just for the infusions. Those things are so amazing, especially Otherwhere and Infernal.

And what are you talking about with the portal to hell? o_O

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
'Cause I've released 4 mods, and am working on a stupidly giant tech mod with Strikingwolf :p

Edit: /me realized that you probably thought I meant the global mod one, or something. \o/ nope.avi

Sorry... 5 days with only 6 hours of sleep... I am a bit slow tonight.. but I fixed it.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
As an example FZ and RoC are unique.
EIO , IC2, Mek, are not. There are now tons of "Double ore and process" tech mods. Each with 1 or 2 unique functions/components/processes. They can be boiled down to:

• Machine to double/triple/quadruple ores
  • Energy Transport - cables, conduits, pipes
  • Machine to cook stuff
  • Powerful tools
  • Energy Production to power the machines
  • Some machine or tool that needs the ore boost

And is it wrong to have redundancy? I always though that having more than one power network, more than one tech tree even if it did the same things offered more re-playability and longevity to a pack.

I mean I thought the best pack you had was ultimate and it had the highest number of power networks and redundancies.

I should also mention that EIO wasn't created with those functions in mind. They were added later. It was originally just a way to combine lots of different cables into a small space. The parts you are talking about were only added so that you wouldn't have to have TE if you didn't want.
Those cables and it machines I always considered later game systems. Something you had to work up towards. And shouldn't be compared to TE because of that.

Reactions: RedBoss

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
And is it wrong to have redundancy? I always though that having more than one power network, more than one tech tree even if it did the same things offered more re-playability and longevity to a pack.

I mean I thought the best pack you had was ultimate and it had the highest number of power networks and redundancies.

I should also mention that EIO wasn't created with those functions in mind. They were added later. It was originally just a way to combine lots of different cables into a small space. The parts you are talking about were only added so that you wouldn't have to have TE if you didn't want.
Those cables and it machines I always considered later game systems. Something you had to work up towards. And shouldn't be compared to TE because of that.

The point is that people keep wondering why so many perfectly decent mods never end up in packs. Its simple... I am not adding 7 almost identical mods to the same pack. I only need 1-2 "All the things tech mods" per pack.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
All I've seen is one so far? Is there more?
The point is that people keep wondering why so many perfectly decent mods never end up in packs. Its simple... I am not adding 7 almost identical mods to the same pack. I only need 1-2 "All the things tech mods" per pack.

All I've seen is one so far? Is there more?

If not I definitely recommend EIO. I really like some of the new features.
And those pipes with the high grade sorting systems will definitely be useful.
With what I believe to be the overly complicated channel system of AE some sort of alternative auto crafting and storage system would be invaluable.
The best/most efficient system I have managed to think up would be jerry rigging something by combining EIO and a simple autocrafting mod like Autocrafter2000.
Especially if that dev get's his compresion mod developed. A few *x compressed diamond chests would really help with storage.

https://github.com/CCM-Modding/AutoCrafter2000

Reactions: VapourDrive

Arkandos

Jul 29, 2019
On a completly different note: Is anyone else having massive tickrate lag due to entities on 1.7.10?
Seems to be vanilla mobs causing big amounts of lag.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
On a completly different note: Is anyone else having massive tickrate lag due to entities on 1.7.10?
Seems to be vanilla mobs causing big amounts of lag.
I have seen worldgen do amazing amounts of lag in my dev environment, enough to completely (though temporarily) lock up a computer normally able to get 1500FPS while having 300 Firefox tabs, Eclipse, Paint.NET, and 7 files in Audacity open.

Entities may well do so as well, and I would suspect the AI is to blame. Fortunately, I have heard mentions of 1.8 putting AI on its own thread.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
I have seen worldgen do amazing amounts of lag in my dev environment, enough to completely (though temporarily) lock up a computer normally able to get 1500FPS while having 300 Firefox tabs, Eclipse, Paint.NET, and 7 files in Audacity open.

Entities may well do so as well, and I would suspect the AI is to blame. Fortunately, I have heard mentions of 1.8 putting AI on its own thread.
hey @Gideonseymour , what if we put G-man in a zombie as its AI? (insidejoke)

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.

Its a hell of a lot easier to design with one tech progression/power grid. Adding a second power network/tech tree would probably require at least 4x the work, and invariably end up with one method significantly favoured over another, or 2 networks with no discernible difference which in turn would be a futile exercise.
What would be fairly neat is one network (mod A) providing the base infrastructure for mod B- allowing for a more complex climb.
(but again this requires significantly more work, and re-working 2 mods to become one)

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Its a hell of a lot easier to design with one tech progression/power grid. Adding a second power network/tech tree would probably require at least 4x the work, and invariably end up with one method significantly favoured over another, or 2 networks with no discernible difference which in turn would be a futile exercise.
What would be fairly neat is one network (mod A) providing the base infrastructure for mod B- allowing for a more complex climb.
(but again this requires significantly more work, and re-working 2 mods to become one)
Although PhoenixConfig is doing this. [/shamelesselfplug]

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019

Easier isn't necessarily the most fun. EiO requires more work to develop and more resources. But it is also a faster more efficient system once it's gotten up and running. Serving much the same purpose as IC2 did in the older packs.
So it would be an optional additional step for those who want to create uber power systems.
As opposed to simply plopping down some furnaces and grinders and saying welp I'm done. No reason to play any more. You would be able to go back later once you get laser quarries and big reactors set up and over hall your system to handle the mass of resources you would then be getting. With out taking up a huge mass of space.