[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Tell me about it! I'm still going at this with the whole 'no cobblegen' thing. Yeahhhhhhhhhh I have to spend a lot of time lumberjacking. Dust is abundant but there's this whole gravity thing. I'm thinking I might try to tackle one city building for some glass.
Chopping trees is a whole lot less time consuming with a TiCo lumber axe... but that sounds like it might require a city raid for smeltery parts...

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Tell me about it! I'm still going at this with the whole 'no cobblegen' thing. Yeahhhhhhhhhh I have to spend a lot of time lumberjacking. Dust is abundant but there's this whole gravity thing. I'm thinking I might try to tackle one city building for some glass.
*peers at you* Who are you and what did you do to Genshou? No cobblegen? Sacrilege. why, I remember the first argument I had with you about that very same thing... Hmmmmmmmmm :D[DOUBLEPOST=1409296716][/DOUBLEPOST]
Chopping trees is a whole lot less time consuming with a TiCo lumber axe... but that sounds like it might require a city raid for smeltery parts...
you can do it all through the crucible actually. I know, it's crazy, but possible. You have to make your alloys first if you're going that route but it's totally doable.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
you can do it all through the crucible actually. I know, it's crazy, but possible. You have to make your alloys first if you're going that route but it's totally doable.

Wait.. what?

Sifting, crooking and chopping are the three tasks that bore the @#$% out of me and as such, my ability to partake in any scenario challenge depends entirely on my ability to ... dispense with these timesinks.

DragonDai

Jul 29, 2019
If you're using item ducts, setting the stack size down to 16 on the duct pulling the items out of an inventory will help deal with this issue on a small 1x1 chamber. It doesn't completely resolve it, because it's still going to try and push all the items in, it just happens in smaller chunks that the pump can recover pressure for in a reasonable time.

It really doesn't matter what you set the stack size too. If you set the stack size to 16, it costs Yx16 air pressure to move the stack into the machine. If you make the stack size 64, it costs Yx64. The reason it seems to work better is because Yx16 is a much smaller number than Yx64. So it takes less time for the machine to build/replace the lost pressure, like you said. Personally, I just use a hopper and 4 speed upgrades on the Input door. It's very very fast. I can get 5 stacks of 64 items into the machine in about 2 mins or so. Just drop the 5 stacks in, run around getting water or harvesting crops, come back, it's all done.

That is caused by Creeper plant seeds its a weird bug that cant be fixed but you can use SFM to move items and liquid from the grinder and the cables wont be afected by the seeds

This is the most infuriating thing ever. I really hope a solution can be found for this. Since it seems unlikely that a solution will be found, can you use SFM to turn the spawner on/off? That's the biggest issue for me. I have a signal bus set up with a switch that lets me turn the auto-spawner on and off (like Landstyder used, it's awesome), but sometimes the lever connector gets blown off the wall by the creeper seeds (along with some conveyor belts). SOOOOOO frustrating! hehe

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Wait.. what?

Sifting, crooking and chopping are the three tasks that bore the @#$% out of me and as such, my ability to partake in any scenario challenge depends entirely on my ability to ... dispense with these timesinks.
Agreed, me too. but I don't think what I was talking about relieves you from that.

You can put a faucet on a crucible, and melt/pour from it. Make your alloys using dust using AE grindstone, and voila, instant mini smeltery. You can use gold for casts and iirc, you can make the alloy form of aluminum brass via pulverized form.

Keldin42

Jul 29, 2019
Wait.. what?

you can melt the small stones (pebbles?) you get form sifting in the crucible. It takes a metric crap ton of stones but you can pour them into an ingot cast and get seared bricks that way.

The crucible doesn't create alloys but you can make the plain ingots and grind them using a grind stone (AE?) and combine the dusts to make alloy dust.

This is an alternative to raiding cities (but a really time consuming one).

Getting the smelteries from the cities makes the game easier (I think) since it reasonably quick, and you don't need to sacrifice the precious water for clay in the early game.

Skullywag

Jul 29, 2019
I've gone in and just adjusted the cost of a Shell Construction in Sync.cfg to be just a little bit lower. It still doesn't break the mechanic of the game and the requirement to keep the constructor powered. But being able to get one or two more lives out of that first battery can sure ease the learning curve on this pack to a tolerable level.
Oh ive played it on complete hardcore was just adding this as it was annoying me that no one was stating the pack could actually be played in non hardcore. Ive currently been alive so long in my playthrough i live in a giant glass bio dome where the grass/water is now starting to leak into the outside world...need to get pics up soon.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
It really doesn't matter what you set the stack size too. If you set the stack size to 16, it costs Yx16 air pressure to move the stack into the machine. If you make the stack size 64, it costs Yx64. The reason it seems to work better is because Yx16 is a much smaller number than Yx64. So it takes less time for the machine to build/replace the lost pressure, like you said. Personally, I just use a hopper and 4 speed upgrades on the Input door. It's very very fast. I can get 5 stacks of 64 items into the machine in about 2 mins or so. Just drop the 5 stacks in, run around getting water or harvesting crops, come back, it's all done.

This is the most infuriating thing ever. I really hope a solution can be found for this. Since it seems unlikely that a solution will be found, can you use SFM to turn the spawner on/off? That's the biggest issue for me. I have a signal bus set up with a switch that lets me turn the auto-spawner on and off (like Landstyder used, it's awesome), but sometimes the lever connector gets blown off the wall by the creeper seeds (along with some conveyor belts). SOOOOOO frustrating! hehe
Yeah, you can make a camoflauged cable that contains multiple cables (late and braindead so names might not be right, look up vswe's awesome videos on youtube for examples. That way, you can make a cable that has a redstone emitter along with regular cable that does fluid/items/etc. I didn't realize you can do power with this as well, so that's a new one on me but from what I read I think shin said he did something along those lines, that would make it on par with enderio in that regard. SFM is awesome.

Edit: and yeah, it's frustrating and no, I don't think a fix will ever come for it. Think of it as a feature. A feature that you have to buy the DLC to remove. :)

Asmadi

Jul 29, 2019
I have been playing this modpack before 1.12 came out, but ever since it did, I have been unable to play. Every time I attempt to launch the modpack, it crashes and the log says "Severe: Unable to Launch" and below that "java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: cpw.mods.fml.common.launcher.FMLTweaker". I have seen this several times before on the forums, but I haven't seen a satisfactory answer. I am running java 1.7.0_67 64 bit with 8gb of RAM, and I receive this message on no other modpacks. If anyone could help, it would be much appreciated as I do not know a lot about java and have no clue how to fix this error.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
I have been playing this modpack before 1.12 came out, but ever since it did, I have been unable to play. Every time I attempt to launch the modpack, it crashes and the log says "Severe: Unable to Launch" and below that "java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: cpw.mods.fml.common.launcher.FMLTweaker". I have seen this several times before on the forums, but I haven't seen a satisfactory answer. I am running java 1.7.0_67 64 bit with 8gb of RAM, and I receive this message on no other modpacks. If anyone could help, it would be much appreciated as I do not know a lot about java and have no clue how to fix this error.
check to see if you have multiple versions of java installed.

Ensure that only the latest java is in the directory that ftb is picking up (look in options/advanced options, check that path up there)

Ensure the java you are using is the 64 bit version as well.

It would be weird that the problem would only show up on this pack. I don't see how that could happen, since in all actuality, this pack has less mods than alot of other packs, thus potentially less conflicting issues.

the classnotfound exception points usually to wrong java version than what is supported by that java you are trying to run. Try to redownload the pack again if problem persists. I've been having weird issues lately with failed downloads. try changing your download location from automatic to curseCDN or another. exit out, then try dling pack.

Asmadi

Jul 29, 2019
Odd, seems like changing the install directory worked. Thats really strange, since deleting and reinstalling the pack didn't.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Odd, seems like changing the install directory worked. Thats really strange, since deleting and reinstalling the pack didn't.
wait, was the install dir your downloads dir? If so, yeah, that's a known nono. nono as in no, you didnt! :) cool. commence dying from creepers exploding.....

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
as far as tico bow goes, yeah, with iguana tweaks, it sucks that you can't add enhancements to your arrows. They become super deadly when you do that. But, I don't know if you can actually do that with tweaks since you'd have to gain experience and I think the bow is what gets experience, not the arrows, unless you walk around stabby stabby with the individual arrows. take that creeper *stab stab* and that *stab stab* and that......

after mdiyo fixed the draw bug on the bow, yeah, it's my usual goto for range. In CL I am lazy and continue to use the needle gun, but yeah, you're right. I should make one.
ME Matter Cannon is where its at. Probably around the same damage with lead nuggets, I can't tell, but the projectiles fly faster (instantly?), and I currently have around 6000 rounds before I have to reload. (Bit of a mislead there, I'll likely have to recharge the thing after just a few thousand rounds)

Edit: I also killed pigman vampire with the thing. It took several hundred rounds, and at one point I was pelting him so fast he was stuck in the air while I fired straight up. But he died.[DOUBLEPOST=1409316862][/DOUBLEPOST]
But, lemme ask everyone. Why does everyone, including DW20/Pahimar, insist on keeping those budweiser frog wannabe zombies near the ship after the first couple of days? I'm out for 3 days from start, each day, widening a perimeter that extends enough that I don't HEAR them anymore after the third.
Pahimar at least (finally) added a tiny extension out front. But yeah, bugs me too that they're happy with their microbase with mobs crawling all over it,.

Reactions: DoomSquirter

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Are there any very basic building tips I can be given? I want the challenge of the pack to be real, and I think I have some of the strategy down, but I would like to know what these "trenches" everyone keeps talking about are. XD
Please, don't explain anything else. :p

EDIT: Also, why does everybody keep double posting??? Can't you see the "double post merged" thing? XD Use the edit button! If you can't figure out how to quote someone in an edit, here's how:
So, you've made your post, but you want to edit it with a new quote.
Hit reply on the post you want to quote, and the quote will appear in the previously empty "Write your reply" box. Cut or copy this, then open the edit window on your post. Paste it. WHAM! Quote in an edit! Now preeze stahp BUGGING me with your silly DOUBLEPOSTSXD

DragonDai

Jul 29, 2019
Are there any very basic building tips I can be given? I want the challenge of the pack to be real, and I think I have some of the strategy down, but I would like to know what these "trenches" everyone keeps talking about are. XD

I think what most people are referring to is a 4 high wall around your base with a 2 deep empty moat on the other side of it. This way, monsters can't be thrown over the top/shoot you over the top of your wall, and when they spawn outside of your wall (cause the inside is lit up), they inevitably walk into the trench, which they cannot leave, for easy disposal. If you'd like more detailed/advanced stuff, check the spoiler below.

This can be further augmented with conveyor belts (so the monsters all get funneled to 1 area, perhaps with a MFR grinder), corner pits (the corners of the trench are 4 deep instead of 2, so that monsters get further isolated and are easy to kill via suffocation with dust), or various other methods.

And, of course, you should take steps to spider-proof your compound as well. There are various tactics for accomplishing this, but I prefer to put slabs on top of my wall (to stop spawning on top of the wall) and then put horizontal glass covers (using the saw to make the microblock) jutting out all around the wall, at the top, so as to prevent spiders from entering my abode.

Hope that's what you're looking for. :)

Keldin42

Jul 29, 2019
A trench around your base will 'trap' mobs that move towards your base. They are typically 2 deep so that mobs cannot jump out of them. Simply decide how much of an area you want for trees and such and dig the trench around that.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I think what most people are referring to is a 4 high wall around your base with a 2 deep empty moat on the other side of it. This way, monsters can't be thrown over the top/shoot you over the top of your wall, and when they spawn outside of your wall (cause the inside is lit up), they inevitably walk into the trench, which they cannot leave, for easy disposal.

This can be further augmented with conveyor belts (so the monsters all get funneled to 1 area, perhaps with a MFR grinder), corner pits (the corners of the trench are 4 deep instead of 2, so that monsters get further isolated and are easy to kill via suffocation with dust), or various other methods.

And, of course, you should take steps to spider-proof your compound as well. There are various tactics for accomplishing this, but I prefer to put slabs on top of my wall (to stop spawning on top of the wall) and then put horizontal glass covers (using the saw to make the microblock) jutting out all around the wall, at the top, so as to prevent spiders from entering my abode.

Hope that's what you're looking for. :)
A trench around your base will 'trap' mobs that move towards your base. They are typically 2 deep so that mobs cannot jump out of them. Simply decide how much of an area you want for trees and such and dig the trench around that.
Thanks a ton. That helps a lot. Can't wait to make a TiCo drawbridge... XD
Also, I'm totally gonna make it a water moat. And then post a bazillion screenshots of it just to bug everyone because of how utterly wasteful and stupid I am. :D

Reactions: pc_assassin

Keldin42

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks a ton. That helps a lot. Can't wait to make a TiCo drawbridge... XD
Also, I'm totally gonna make it a water moat. And then post a bazillion screenshots of it just to bug everyone because of how utterly wasteful and stupid I am. :D
Building large and excessive unneeded stuff in minecraft is never stupid and should always be encouraged!

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Building large and excessive unneeded stuff in minecraft is never stupid and should always be encouraged!
Hmm. You mean like the thaumcraft research lab my friend and I built only accessible to someone with a tainted crawler morph that was infuriating to build because even though you're tiny, you still suffocate if there's a solid block where the player's head would be, so we had to find a way to make all the ceilings made of slabs or stairs, and then we wanted a second floor so we could poke out of the wall into the house-we-were-living-in's actual basement and throw stuff in the crucible and that was so stinking hard and we had to get the lawn to be symmetrical and made of stone bricks?
I'll post screenshots of the useless.

EDIT: No screenshots, that would be off topic.

Last edited:

schpeelah

Jul 29, 2019
I found moats to be unproductive. It's hard to hit mobs from the outside, and when I go out to cull creepers in the morning it's better when they are spread out. A bit more walking to collect the bones and rotten flesh perhaps, but that's good enough at the beginning and later on I can just build the trap I talked about a couple of pages ago (short version - arrange to be able to hit them in the legs through a half-block gap).