Is Rotarycraft stupidly difficult or am I the stupid one?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Good job, engineer. Now run enough grinders at fast enough operation times to even begin to consume all that canola.
I suggest you read my whole post. Three grinders, each powered by a tier 4 magnetostatic at 8 MW and optimal torque. No problem at all, except that you need two connections for each grinder to pump the lubricant out fast enough. Else they'll start to stutter. A single Extra Cells fluid import bus would probably manage it as well, but I don't have a quantum link chamber at this location.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Heat it to at least 900 °C. You have to cut the water supply for that, but it is possible with two cooling fins. Don't do it in the nether :D

Edit: I actually wouldn't use it for that, not only because it doesn't give any bonus.
...It gives you a 100% bonus...

And why can't carrots and potatoes be harvested with fans?
They can.

If I made a public modpack and wanted to include RotaryCraft, I would ask Reika for one thing: the permission to create an alternative, significantly easier recipe for jet fuel (using the same machine, and being less efficient so that there is still motivation to use the complicated one eventually). That wouldn't break the tiering in any way but make it so much less of a hassle that it becomes possible to "just explore" RotaryCraft.
I agree in that it would not be a techtree problem as long as there was a grinder product in it, but the ingredients in jet fuel are not there to make it costly. Each one (roughly) corresponds to a real-life additive to Jet A.

Hmm...I'm no modder and don't know how canola may be different.

@Reika:
Why can't canola be harvested by MFR machines? It would be really nice to have a lag-free canola farm without all those entities flying around you get if you use RoC fans to harvest.

Because skyboy has not chosen to do so.

Nnnnope.

The slots on the fractionator are specific to each item. Precision export buses tend to fill things in the wrong order and on occasion i've found they bug out and refuse to export when I manually sort the order out in the GUI.

I needed a cunning arrangement of LP to manage it, but I finally got it working.

Start empty and let AE fill it up manually. Done. While automation can only put each item in one slot, placing them by hand has no such restriction.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I agree in that it would not be a techtree problem as long as there was a grinder product in it, but the ingredients in jet fuel are not there to make it costly. Each one (roughly) corresponds to a real-life additive to Jet A.
Yeah....but do they need to correspond that way? Also, there's no reason why a raw material can't be substituted with one that's less difficult to reliably get in quantities. Most notably the soul sand and the magma cream.

Because skyboy has not chosen to do so.
Hmm...the response above appears to suggest that most plants are automatically supported if they implement a certain Forge function. Would anything need to be done in addition to that?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Yeah....but do they need to correspond that way? Also, there's no reason why a raw material can't be substituted with one that's less difficult to reliably get in quantities. Most notably the soul sand and the magma cream.
Magma cream (due to its relation to fire resistance) is the analogue to 2,6 ditertiary-butyl-4-methyl-phenol, an anti-autoignition agent to help ensure safety in the event of a spill or crash.
I fail to see how soul sand is in any way difficult.

Hmm...the response above appears to suggest that most plants are automatically supported if they implement a certain Forge function. Would anything need to be done in addition to that?
That would be IPlantable. They already do. From what I know of MFR's internal workings, all compatibility must be custom-coded in by skyboy. He has not had the desire to do so for canola.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Soul sand density is quite low for RoC borer to give it in quantities that allow you to power more than one jet engine. At least in Monster.
I also fail to understand how different fantasy resources represent real life chemicals. Well, I kinda see what you did there with magma cream.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
How do you think I felt when this change came around just as I was about to finish my fusion reactor? My six HP turbines use up four buckets of lubricant....per second!!!

Yea...I've got 12 HP Turbines on my Fusion Reactor...:(

The good news is, it's looking like I might be able to turn the thing back on. The updates, as well as some other tweaks I made seems to have made a significant improvement to my servers performance. Back over 20 tps, and the reactor is pretty much fully rebuilt at this point. /yay.

FYI: Steam Lines BAD. Individually they aren't too bad, but when you have 600 of them it becomes a problem. So, I streamlined a lot and got it down to 384, and this had a significant improvement to things. ( I'm still at nearly 2ms from the lines alone though. )

We'll see how it compares to my creative RF battery though. The creative energy cells are a bit hard on things, but there's only 297 of those. The tesseracts are what I have a lot of ( 756 ), but they are incredibly efficient. It's kind of hard to tell though: The Fusion Reactor has dozens of different items to try to add up compared to simply looking at the usage for the creative cells. Still wish there was a single, or just a couple blocks, that could do this:(

dalekslayer96

Jul 29, 2019
How do you think I felt when this change came around just as I was about to finish my fusion reactor? My six HP turbines use up four buckets of lubricant....per second!!!
Woah woah what? I haven't been fooling around with Reactorcraft for a while. WHY DID YOU DO THIS REIKA???!!! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Magma cream (due to its relation to fire resistance) is the analogue to 2,6 ditertiary-butyl-4-methyl-phenol, an anti-autoignition agent to help ensure safety in the event of a spill or crash.
And that is relevant exactly how? Except in an aesthetic sense? In the end, these are fantasy ingredients whose connection to real-world chemical compounds is nonexistent except in a thematic sense. As I see it, there is no reason to disallow tweaking it as long as the grinder is still needed. Also, you were ready to compromise in-world consistency to keep people from skipping tech tiers, why not forego the luxury - or rather, allow others to tweak things in order to forego it - of this element of cross-world consistency to make it a little easier to explore RotaryCraft? For, say, people like me who aren't afraid of complexity but are put off by certain kinds of resource-gathering, more so if it's in the Nether? Being somewhat realistic is all good, but I think it is not unreasonable to permit tweaking a recipe if it takes more time to set up the logistics for a mid-tier production facility for one fuel type than it takes to explore the rest of the tech tree.

Edit:
Here's what you need for a reliable supply of jet fuel ingredients if you want to stay with RoC as much as possible: a blaze spawner, a slime spawner, a boring machine in the nether, a boring machine in the overworld, the ability to fly (for the ghast tear), an ethanol production facility and repeated expeditions into the Nether to gather soul sand manually. Basically, I'd say without either Forestry and Gendustry or Magical Crops it's not worth the effort and if you're put off RotaryCraft completely by it that's perfectly understandable. You do want people who take an interest in RotaryCraft and are willing to learn the basics to continue to explore it, right?

I fail to see how soul sand is in any way difficult.
Getting any medium amount one time is easy. A continuous supply, however, is rather hard to achieve without Magical Crops. Soul sand patches are big but comparably rare, which means the chances are high your boring machines will never run into one.[DOUBLEPOST=1409298109][/DOUBLEPOST]
And Reika says people would go ballistic in the next post. Well, I'm not quite there, and I can live with the fact that the turbines need lubricant now even though I continue to resent the same change to the magnetostatic engines. The amount, however, is insane. I think there's something of a design flaw if the supply needed is virtually impossible to achieve within RotaryCraft/ReactorCraft alone.
BTW, @Pyure, I will not forget that you voted yes on this.:p

Last edited:

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
What are options for transporting items (extracting, inserting, transporting) in Rotarycraft? There are item pumps, but they are expensive as hell.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
That's kinda its weakness. You're better off using itemducts or other pipes.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
@PonyKuu:
We may agree in a few things, but being rude is counterproductive.

@Tylor:
I have yet to use any RotaryCraft transport items except for steam lines and magnetic containment pipes. The reasons are both aesthetic and functional. RotaryCraft pipes have one or two advantages but are outclassed, almost naturally, by other mods' systems which have transport itmes as a major feature. As a rule, I try to minimize the number of transport systems I use, and usually end up with an EnderIO network (which integrates an ME network) because it's the most versatile, with local spatterings of Logistics Pipes here and there.

Reactions: Pyure and Padfoote

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I would be making more use of lubricant hoses and fuel lines if they connected to tesseracts.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Getting any medium amount one time is easy. A continuous supply, however, is rather hard to achieve without Magical Crops. Soul sand patches are big but comparably rare, which means the chances are high your boring machines will never run into one.[DOUBLEPOST=1409298109][/DOUBLEPOST]
And Reika says people would go ballistic in the next post. Well, I'm not quite there, and I can live with the fact that the turbines need lubricant now even though I continue to resent the same change to the magnetostatic engines. The amount, however, is insane. I think there's something of a design flaw if the supply needed is virtually impossible to achieve within RotaryCraft/ReactorCraft alone.
BTW, @Pyure, I will not forget that you voted yes on this.:p
I was hoping that was forgotten...

Look I didn't specify or recommend a particular amount :p

Edit: Reika usually does the exact opposite of anything I recommend. Maybe I was trying to help :)