[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
First day I secure a moderately sized area with a wall fronted by a two deep pit... I need to count, but likely ~30X30. The remainder of the daylight is spent leveling my "area" to gather dust. Bolthole up for the night, sieve all night long. In the AM I walk out of despawn range, return collecting drops.

At that point I should be able to setup a slab furnace, and get iron cooking. While the iron is cooking I crook leaves till I get a worm.

Once I have the worm I make shears and harvest leaves until I run through most of my bonemeal and sometimes some bones. As night falls I grow a tree, infect it, then move the dirt around, and growing three more trees that'll be infected by the first.

This second night is where I setup ticon, composting and such.

Edit: unless I miss count on day one my initial "protected" zone is 33X30

Last edited:

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
tried, the chat is disabled, sad, will keep watching as long as it's broadcasting
I actually downloaded the app, my assumption is that like me you are on a mobile device without flash[DOUBLEPOST=1409009021][/DOUBLEPOST]Lol, well Shane managed to kill my battery I'm going quiet for a bit.....

Reactions: Shane2482

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
hes good though
he may be, but he came awful close to buying the farm awful easy.... lol, but then most of us have done so. My though was that his issue was so predictable.......anyways its easy to be overly critical when you are just watching......

Shane2482

Jul 29, 2019
he may be, but he came awful close to buying the farm awful easy.... lol, but then most of us have done so. My though was that his issue was so predictable.......anyways its easy to be overly critical when you are just watching......
well hes still learning, but i ment that hes a hoos streamer

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
hey everybody theres prety good guy VanceCrafter on twitch playing CL for the first time and i thought it would be nice if some plp would stop by and say hi http://www.twitch.tv/vancecrafter

Isn't the first time, he played it most of last week. Every time I revisit the channel he is back at the start though. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1409010637][/DOUBLEPOST]
ok quick question. Why does every waste time building a wall the first day and doing stuff they could be doing that night instead of setting up and growing trees?

Try building a wall at night and let us know how it goes. I spend the first day securing the ship so that I can do what I want the rest of the time without worrying about getting killed. Sieving dust all the first night is perfect since it gives you stone for a slab furnace and iron for shears/pyrotheum-proof bucket.

Having the wall and trench in place means I get a great supply of rotten flesh and bones for day 2, which means plenty of food, plenty of bone meal, and all the tc tools/weapons I want.

I do build the wall last since it is the least important part of the defense and I do plant the first sapling before that. Whether or not it grows before I close up the front door for the night is up to the RNG. With a wall in place I can even go out and do trees at night if I want, as long as I keep one eye on the minimap for spiders and ghast bombers. With no wall you can't do that because of archers.

That was the long answer. Short answer: Because it works.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shane2482

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
So when you visit cities do you wander through cherry picking? do you destroy the spawners? Or do you meticulously dismantle every building you come to one at a time? essentially raizing the city as you go? Just curious what your thoughts on that was?

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
So when you visit cities do you wander through cherry picking? do you destroy the spawners? Or do you meticulously dismantle every building you come to one at a time? essentially raizing the city as you go? Just curious what your thoughts on that was?
I tend to go to a corner, take out that building's spawners till I can hear too many pigs grunting around, fly off, let despawn, come back, attack another near corner, work my way inwards, rinse repeat.

That was first city and I was seeing what was there, etc. There is the potential for some good loot other than just the PC and tico buildings. At first, pick everything in a building to see where not only spawners are, but where they thought they were sneaky and hidden chests, etc... I know the receptionists were just hoarders *hint*.

Once you've had enough, just go around to the buildings you want, but if you take your time and go at all the surrounding buildings before you hit the ones you do want, you'll find it alot easier to handle. I also wall off one of those corner buildings and make it base #2. I setup elevators and raise the building to Y level 100-110 or so with elevators. I get up there in that building at the top and if I need to go home, jump from highest point with glider and most likely make it all the way home (especially with first city). oooorrrrrrr miss wall by about 100 feet and land right in middle of couple dozen angry youtubers, err mobs. and then have to make an entrance to your base post haste. :)

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Isn't the first time, he played it most of last week. Every time I revisit the channel he is back at the start though. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1409010637][/DOUBLEPOST]

Try building a wall at night and let us know how it goes. I spend the first day securing the ship so that I can do what I want the rest of the time without worrying about getting killed. Sieving dust all the first night is perfect since it gives you stone for a slab furnace and iron for shears/pyrotheum-proof bucket.

Having the wall and trench in place means I get a great supply of rotten flesh and bones for day 2, which means plenty of food, plenty of bone meal, and all the tc tools/weapons I want.

I do build the wall last since it is the least important part of the defense and I do plant the first sapling before that. Whether or not it grows before I close up the front door for the night is up to the RNG. With a wall in place I can even go out and do trees at night if I want, as long as I keep one eye on the minimap for spiders and ghast bombers. With no wall you can't do that because of archers.

That was the long answer. Short answer: Because it works.
you can get those anyway they all come to you and i never said do it at night or not to build a wall. i said why do it the first night. a pit trap will give you the same ammount of "supplies" and with less time spent the first day.

LostBMe

Jul 29, 2019
I always thought you're suppose to make the wall so the mobs that can throw mobs at you won't see you over the wall:confused:

But then again I'm mostly a peaceful player that likes the idea of a barrier to protect me from the things that like to kill me. However flimsy it might be.:p

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
I always thought you're suppose to make the wall so the mobs that can throw mobs at you won't see you over the wall:confused:

But then again I'm mostly a peaceful player that likes the idea of a barrier to protect me from the things that like to kill me. However flimsy it might be.:p
the pit is to stop them mostly, the walls are to allow you to use the area inside at night, mostly, the fence/slab combo on top is to keep the spiders out, mostly, and well, the rest (flying, etc) are mostly going to still kill you. Then they cheat and spawn in odd places that you'd not think of.

It's the 80/20 rule essentially. Do 80% of the work that you can do instead of trying to do 100% of it. Everything you do increases your odds of survival, but anyone that leans on it and depends on it, well, they probably will get too comfortable and die a horrible tragic death amidst scores of expletives. mostly.

Reactions: LostBMe

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
hmmm, do I have the patience to modify refugee to regent into a CL challenge and play my way through it???

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
you can get those anyway they all come to you and i never said do it at night or not to build a wall. i said why do it the first night. a pit trap will give you the same ammount of "supplies" and with less time spent the first day.
But with a pit trap if there is an "accidental" detonation they do considerable damage to the ship which can't be repaired real early game...... oh wait..... I'm one of the few nuts still playing with collateral on.....

Yoshi667

Jul 29, 2019
I have been playing this modpack for about a month now and I am absolutely loving it. It actually got me back into Minecraft after have a year or so away from it. I've had to watch many tutorials and spotlights to catch back up on all the new mods in the pack but I'm getting there, slow and steady. I even have the engine put back on the ship and the pyrotheum safely stored.

I have a couple of issues with it though. How am I supposed to get Nether Quartz? I am trying to make a sync shell before I head into the city and I have the other required materials for it but no Nether Quartz.
I have been checking the thread daily and catching up on all the new posts but haven't seen anything about it. I know the Nether is a void so I cannot get it there so I'm just wondering how I go about it?

Another thing I am having trouble with is creatures clipping through walls. It's not so bad now that I have cleared out the area but before my pits were so full (I was too scared to clear them, lost a few worlds that way) they were pushing each other through walls and hitting me.

The major problem I am having is that it appears Zombies can spawn INSIDE my ship. It's not a light issue as it's lit up like a Christmas tree. Now I read a couple of pages back that there was a change to Zombies, they can now call for reinforcements. The problem is, I think the damage from the sun is causing this to trigger. I have lost a few characters because I was chilling in my base at night with something heavy on my RMB sieving while I went to make a coffee.
I'd come back and I was dead and there were 3 Zombies chilling around my corpse. The last time it happened I was actually playing, I was looking outside the ship and got hit from behind. I turned around yelling "What the f**k" and saw two more Zombies pop into existence with one being a damn Brutish, thankfully I had just made invar!.

Finally, since upgrading to 1.1.2 I seem to have lost the quest to get the rocket launcher. I have killed the required mobs including the Endermen for the first part of the quest but it did not unlock the next part.

If anyone could give me some pointers or an explanation on any of this stuff I'd much appreciate it. In the meantime I am going back to bonemealing grass in the hopes of getting a wheat seed. It seems I have every other seed in the game except that one.

Last edited:

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, so this is something new to me, ive never had a memory issue since the botched v7 of the FTB Mindcrack pack.
While i dont have any screenshots right now, because i closed the program to prevent it crashing my system, it appears this pack (or is it the game/java itself?) suffers from a horrendous memory leak. (the reason i suggest pack, is because i run Serendipity Unlimited on the Technic Launcher which has no qualm with running on 4gb memory, having more than 2x the mods of this pack, i do not get memory issues there and i also use a 128x128 texturepack that has textures for roughly 75% of the mods.)
My FTB Jre setting is and always has had 4GB (1/2) of my system memory reserved for it, though ive noticed after a few hours of play that the java application in the Windows Task Manager is reading well over 5.4GB in memory consumption, pushing my system over 95% ram usage (at idle, its barely 7-15% while a freshly loaded instance pushes this to approx 40%)
At this point, if i continue to play the game begins to stutter horribly - so i have no choice but to restart a fresh instance of minecraft.

How am I supposed to get Nether Quartz?
If you have an MFR Tree farm, then an MFR Sludge boiler is your best friend, you are guaranteed at least 1 piece of nether quartz per soul sand and the sludge boiler can turn sludge into soul sand, failing that you can make witchwater with mycelium (spores from sand sifting, use them on dirt and fill nhilo barrels with water), put sand in the barrel, voila, soulsand.

I'd come back and I was dead and there were 3 Zombies chilling around my corpse. The last time it happened I was actually playing, I was looking outside the ship and got hit from behind. I turned around yelling "What the f**k" and saw two more Zombies pop into existence with one being a damn Brutish, thankfully I had just made invar!.

Press F7 ingame, the red areas will show you places you will have mobs spawning in low light/at night, yellow shows areas at risk at nightfall - you likely had a ninja spawn during the night.

On a more positive note.
ive also found that Extra Utilities drums are a godsend, especially where the fluid transposer is concerned, i can fill it up with saplings and sheared leaves and forget about it, the same with automating a crucible - forget the TE tanks, i sit them ontop of my harvester and sludge boiler too, can forget about them for about an hour.
Also the E/U Trashcan solves the "my wood storage is full" problem.

Last edited: