[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Just a suggestion, but I think that the thirst rate needs to be reduced, I can see no way at the start of being able to keep on top of your thirst. By the time you've managed to pick up mob left overs and dealt with any straggler mobs, that could be up to half your day gone. Then frantic tree growing/chopping/crooking to get your saplings before night falls. Would be lucky enough to get enough saplings for 1 bottle of water which isn't enough to keep you going.
Somewhere in there you need to get some dust sieving done to try and get your first bits of stone. Just seems at the start there's just too much to do/cope with for a single player.

Yes, I will be man enough to admit I had to cheat in some water bottles, and some replacement stuff after a multiple creeper explosion killed me, my stuff and breeched my first wall defenses. Now I'm playing with no sync backup, and no idea yet how I'm going to get power generation when I can't even keep on top of my water requirements :p

On a technical note, how on earth have you managed to get such insane mob spawning? Working out how to deal with 20 various creepers in my first mob pit proved interesting with some new landscaping features...

Shin Sekai

Jul 29, 2019
Just a suggestion, but I think that the thirst rate needs to be reduced, I can see no way at the start of being able to keep on top of your thirst. By the time you've managed to pick up mob left overs and dealt with any straggler mobs, that could be up to half your day gone. Then frantic tree growing/chopping/crooking to get your saplings before night falls. Would be lucky enough to get enough saplings for 1 bottle of water which isn't enough to keep you going.
Somewhere in there you need to get some dust sieving done to try and get your first bits of stone. Just seems at the start there's just too much to do/cope with for a single player.

Yes, I will be man enough to admit I had to cheat in some water bottles, and some replacement stuff after a multiple creeper explosion killed me, my stuff and breeched my first wall defenses. Now I'm playing with no sync backup, and no idea yet how I'm going to get power generation when I can't even keep on top of my water requirements :p

On a technical note, how on earth have you managed to get such insane mob spawning? Working out how to deal with 20 various creepers in my first mob pit proved interesting with some new landscaping features...
Your style of playing must not be quick enough, cause I can survive the first several days just fine without cheating in water and get to the point where I am producing my own water quicker than using it. Yes it is difficult, but it is possible. I never use the fluid transposer to turn leaves/saplings into water. I just survive on the quest rewards for the first few days and then get a slab furnace and shears and start composting leaves into dirt and make dirty water and smelt that into clean water.

Reactions: pc_assassin

Hamburger76

Jul 29, 2019

The beginning is all about time management and efficiency. Never drink water from a bottle (unless its cold water,) keep water in your camel pack. Play the easy path unless you want to go a really long time before you can get a sync chamber to cheat death.

Reactions: DoomSquirter

Badgerpendous

Jul 29, 2019
I never use the fluid transposer to turn leaves/saplings into water. I just survive on the quest rewards for the first few days and then get a slab furnace and shears and start composting leaves into dirt and make dirty water and smelt that into clean water.

I tend to use the fluid transposer until I run out of battery juice (and once I get a survival generator, I'm back, hooked on transposer juice :) ). That said, dirt is king in the early game. Dirt leads to stone, too, which helps you cruise through a few more quests. So, composting flesh (well, that which you don't need for food)/spare saplings/leaves really opens things up.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Your style of playing must not be quick enough, cause I can survive the first several days just fine without cheating in water and get to the point where I am producing my own water quicker than using it. Yes it is difficult, but it is possible. I never use the fluid transposer to turn leaves/saplings into water. I just survive on the quest rewards for the first few days and then get a slab furnace and shears and start composting leaves into dirt and make dirty water and smelt that into clean water.
I'm on day 3, and haven't got a vanilla furnace yet, just not enough time in the day to do the sieving. I'm constantly moving doing something for my survival, and it doesn't seem to be enough.

Once I've got all the initial quests out the way, I'm outside digging up dust with 3 goals, to get a small walled off area built (big enough for a tree to grow in), dig around the crashed ship so mobs can't climb over it and to block off the pyrithium. Then it's rush indoors, sieve away and gamble going outside if there are not too many spiders to ambush me.
Each morning, nerdpole up to snipe remaining creepers (of which there are usually at least 20), then run around collecting mob drops, wall myself back in my area, plant a sapling, and bonemeal, chop some wood for crooks, and do that until night falls, that's usually 2-4 trees. At night, craft more ammo, sieve more dust if I've managed to get any more. Then once I have enough wood, some barrels for zombie flesh to dirt. While I could make dirty water, I have no way of cooking it unless it will cook in the bone frying pan (haven't tried... oh hell :p)
Just need to try and get a survivalists generator as that'll open up so many more options to improve time management.

Hmm, maybe I need to focus a bit less on the tree, and just go mad collecting dust to get a furnace first. All the zombie flesh will provide dirt enough for dirty water. hmmmmm....

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019
I'm on day 3, and haven't got a vanilla furnace yet, just not enough time in the day to do the sieving. I'm constantly moving doing something for my survival, and it doesn't seem to be enough.

Once I've got all the initial quests out the way, I'm outside digging up dust with 3 goals, to get a small walled off area built (big enough for a tree to grow in), dig around the crashed ship so mobs can't climb over it and to block off the pyrithium. Then it's rush indoors, sieve away and gamble going outside if there are not too many spiders to ambush me.
Each morning, nerdpole up to snipe remaining creepers (of which there are usually at least 20), then run around collecting mob drops, wall myself back in my area, plant a sapling, and bonemeal, chop some wood for crooks, and do that until night falls, that's usually 2-4 trees. At night, craft more ammo, sieve more dust if I've managed to get any more. Then once I have enough wood, some barrels for zombie flesh to dirt. While I could make dirty water, I have no way of cooking it unless it will cook in the bone frying pan (haven't tried... oh hell :p)
Just need to try and get a survivalists generator as that'll open up so many more options to improve time management.

Hmm, maybe I need to focus a bit less on the tree, and just go mad collecting dust to get a furnace first. All the zombie flesh will provide dirt enough for dirty water. hmmmmm....

2-3 stacks of dust will provide you enough stones to make a slab furnace and 2-3 sets of iron shears. Using 2 shears will give you enough leaves to compost into dirt and make dirty water and smelt into clean water for 14-21 minecraft days worth of water if used in the camelpack.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
My arm's healed up enough that I can start recording Minecraft again. Time to get started!

It looks like I'm going to have to create a new world in order to play the map properly. I hope it doesn't take too long to get back to where I was. I was just getting started and finally got to the point where I didn't die in the first couple days, so that's a bonus. Let's see what all has changed...

The skun is 1000% brighter. Bring skuntan oil. There are skunletons, zombieskuns, skuniders, and skunghasts now as well as the much feared skreeper. I am so looking forward to your new vids. :) btw, you should use tinkers construct more often. It's very cool. It allows you to make more sticks or something.

Reactions: cannajan

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Is there any way to cool off machine rooms so we don't start sweating when we're around a lot of machinery? Maybe a fan of some sort? I'm putting most of my machines down in the basement so the ship isn't so bad but going down there for any real amount of time leads to those annoying sweats.

Ideas/thoughts?
The only way I can see of doing it right now is to cheat sort of. In enviromine, you can hit a key combo that allows you to take the block you're looking at and add it to your custom txt file in the enviromine (EM for short since I keep on wanting to type environmine since I worked at an environmental research place for 5 years grrr u skun).

Anyways, after you put that entry in your EM file, you can go in and edit it to your hearts content. It's pretty much what iskandar already did probably with dust, etc. Making some blocks that might offset them. For example, when I first started playing I had alot of issues with heat stroke cause I was very bad at camel packing, and didn't realize it. I went this route because if I put a block of snow down, it didn't do anything, but logically, it should cool you down, right? Getting the #'s right tho. that's the balance part, so I don't bother with it anymore. You can do this to blocks and armor (maybe more).

My opinion tho, is that there should be items that offset these kinds of things already in here and they should be logical. the snow block for example. I haven't looked so I don't know if much has changed since then, but yeah, you can also look through those text files (grep -B 2 -A 2 {} em if ur unix) to find things that cool you down. I did that ALOT when I was playing epiccraft since things weren't obvious and I was going insane too much (yeah, bring on the jokes).

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
The slab furnace is fairly common in many packs, not sure exavtly what adds it, but you mentioned a vanilla furnace. The slab is considerably cheaper.
I personally don't like the slab furnace. If you can stack them into a double furnace, that would be cool, but it's just so odd looking. It's a very good starter furnace IMHO, but as soon as I have alot of cobble, it gets stored away.

On that same note, the slab versions of the TICO benches. I didn't like those either till I watched some people using them not on the floor which was sorta cool, but limited potential wise. Then, I accidentally placed one on top of a chest and I was quite bemused to find that it actually saw the double chest underneath. Now? That's my normal config. I place double chests 1 apart from each other with a tico crafting station on top of one side. nice space constraint helper. I can't stand it when I don't have my tico station and limited to just vanilla, tho in that you can use the up arrow to move items into grid (tico not so much).[DOUBLEPOST=1408662707][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've possibly narrowed down zombie spawns next to me in my base to the zombie reinforcement mechanic. I am always finding XP orbs inside my mob grinder after it happens. I'm not sure which mod is bugging and causing the game to think drowning is a player-caused death. They're also not supposed to spawn in lit areas, nor within the spawn-safe radius around the player.

And for some reason, it seems to spawn more baby zombies than regular ones.
I don't know what you mean by zombie reinforcement mechanic. but you do make a good point. Although, in my current 1.1.2 I don't think I've setup mob spawn area yet and I still got incursions. saw 2-3 skels and some zombies. watched them POOF into existence right where there was a ton of light. In my test, making all the ground TE metal blocks (ferrous in my case), they couldn't spawn.

Chrono

Jul 29, 2019
I am having trouble getting necrotic bones from auto-spawned whiter skeletons, I was told it is a conflict between special mobs and thinkers construct, can anyone check out on that?

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Just a suggestion, but I think that the thirst rate needs to be reduced,<snip>
This issue has been around since day 1. Heed the other's advice. There are plenty of options based on your playstyle/comfort level. The first week of play dictates how you are doing. Once you understand the processes better, the next playthrough / creeper explosion will play out with you having more of a guideline in your head on what you need to do. Trying to force your first playthrough to be the only playthrough will be your downfall. I've restarted at least 50 times since the beginning. You'll get the hang of it. My first 10-20 days are usually a constant rush to get to water production and to beat the SOL kicking in and get a farm up. Read the forums after a bitter death to get ideas. ignore errr those that say anything about big boy pants, etc... :) Hide. Hide, sneak, snipe, run away, do that all at once. Swallow your dignity. scream OMG OMG OMG as you run from the mobs to get to your hideyhole. Then realize that 4 hours have passed and you should have been asleep 2 hours ago. :)

Shane2482

Jul 29, 2019
OK everybody i need some help badly for 113 the guy that was going to do the teriforming for me cant do it. Now i need someone to go in and do some quick down and dirty teraforming for me so i can get this implemented in 113. Tnks in advance for any help i can get

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Have finally reached the point I was at when my last game was brutally ended via ghast. Day 47 smeltery has been crafted via stones again, and now have soybeans plentiful enough to start planning regular meals around ... Guess who's having cheeseburgers tonight!

After preparing a few meals I'll build my auto smeltery fuel system...terrain smasher to crucible to smeltery and overflow to open block storage.

My current favorite and most valuable (to me) arrangement is my water supply station. Transposer powered by energy cell charged by 2 survival gens. Input bottom and side, output top and opposite side. Left side chest to hopper feed in enpty bottles, leaves and saplings , water out top to the top of open block tank 3 high. Out right side to chest for saps, sticks, and filled water bottles. Bottom input water from the bottom of the open block tank. Just a push of a button to fill water bottles after filling camel packs and walk away, cut trees, drop leaves make sure it's set to drain, walk away. Open block tanks are great for keeping an eye on reserves from a distance. :)
Sent from my obsolete Nokia via Tapatalk
If you switch you build up and use a drum with the trans auto fill into as it melts leaves it is faster to fill the bottles by left click and you'll use less energy

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014

i notice in your time line you are not using crook before chopping. you should be growing trees>crooking the leave down for saplings/worms>chopping tree. You should never chop the tree down before crook cause the leaves will go away and you will get less saplings. also after night 2 of sieveing all night you should haveenought stone to make cobble stone slab furnace. That will give you 2 iron from the dust you sieved and you can use leaves in the trans instead of saplings.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Here's what works.

Day 1: Starter quests to get camel pack, water, sapling. Block off pyrotheum flow. Go around the ship removing any access points to the top of the ship by either digging out 1-block spots or adding a block to make them 2 high. Dig trench, build dust wall inside trench. Dig some 4 deep 1x1 holes at the ends/corners of the trench to trap/collect mobs. Plant sapling. Enough room inside the wall for 2 trees is plenty to start with. Reduce doorway to 1-wide, then outside that put a 2x2 wall on either side so you can stand outside and then look up and attack normal/large spiders that can't get to you. Go inside and block the door with dust.

Night 1: Sift dust all night long. You want to sift dust until you have at least 24 stones. Use stones to make cobble to make slab furnace. Save ~16 dust for the morning.

Day 2: Kill any spiders with the needlegun. Go to your trench and drop 3 dust down each hole, pushing the drops from the burned mobs to the top and suffocating any still in the holes. If your tree didn't grow yet, bonemeal it till it does. Knock off 2-3 wood. Make a crook. Crook the leaves for extra saplings. Make tinker benches with the wood. Make a bone weapon---I like the frying pan early on. Do some more trees, use some of the planks to smelt some iron for shears. Shear some leaves. Make some nihilo wood barrels. Compost leaves for dirt. Use some dirt for another tree, maybe a garden by the leaking water outside.

So there you have the ability to make dirt by day 2 which can be combined with empty bottles to make dirty water which you can cook in your furnace for water bottles. Dying of thirst shouldn't be a problem.

The first 2 days are about time management. If you waste your time on non-essentials you're going to die.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Here's what works.

Day 1: Starter quests to get camel pack, water, sapling. Block off pyrotheum flow. Go around the ship removing any access points to the top of the ship by either digging out 1-block spots or adding a block to make them 2 high. Dig trench, build dust wall inside trench. Dig some 4 deep 1x1 holes at the ends/corners of the trench to trap/collect mobs. Plant sapling. Enough room inside the wall for 2 trees is plenty to start with. Reduce doorway to 1-wide, then outside that put a 2x2 wall on either side so you can stand outside and then look up and attack normal/large spiders that can't get to you. Go inside and block the door with dust.

Night 1: Sift dust all night long. You want to sift dust until you have at least 24 stones. Use stones to make cobble to make slab furnace. Save ~16 dust for the morning.

Day 2: Kill any spiders with the needlegun. Go to your trench and drop 3 dust down each hole, pushing the drops from the burned mobs to the top and suffocating any still in the holes. If your tree didn't grow yet, bonemeal it till it does. Knock off 2-3 wood. Make a crook. Crook the leaves for extra saplings. Make tinker benches with the wood. Make a bone weapon---I like the frying pan early on. Do some more trees, use some of the planks to smelt some iron for shears. Shear some leaves. Make some nihilo wood barrels. Compost leaves for dirt. Use some dirt for another tree, maybe a garden by the leaking water outside.

So there you have the ability to make dirt by day 2 which can be combined with empty bottles to make dirty water which you can cook in your furnace for water bottles. Dying of thirst shouldn't be a problem.
perfect. I would also add one more thing tho. Especially for beginners since Iskandar will be setting it for 113. Set mobgriefing to false. I think that alone is causing alot of frustration since while you suffocate, boom. big hole. cleanup, waste 1 hr mc time, etc... Case Sensitive:
/gamerule mobGriefing false

Reactions: BMB78

3xraze

Jul 29, 2019
hey guys sorry if this has been said already but im on version 1.1.2 in a 1.1.2 world but i cant seem to make a grinder i have the recipe right checked various times on NEI and i made sure the ivar sword isnt dmg'd but its not workin anyone can help me out?

EDITED- ok so it appears that i cant use books i get from bookshelfs from citys because their item ids are 340:7 but when i crafted a normal book item id 340 flat it worked so just a heads up on that dunno if its a bug or if its normal

also incase alot of people didnt know it is possible to make a cobblestone gen in the 1st 5 mins of your gameplay so you might wanna focus on getting a pickaxe and wood asap

Last edited: