Looking for a massive light source?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any block or mod that actually makes a functional massive light source without interfering with blocks? is it even possible? I have always had trouble lighting up my areas and I hate to use wrath lamps as they always screw things up for me. I am looking for something that generates an enormous amount of light in a large radius? I love magnum torches but they don't actually light it up all that much, I need things to be bright and night vision potions just make everything look terrible. I am searching for something that does not interfere with other blocks but makes a massive light source in a wide area. Is there anything like this currently? Is it even possible to be made?

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
As far as I know, it's impossible to make due to blocks having a limit of a light level of 16, which wrath lamps and arcane lamps get around by having invisible light sources. But a modder can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: immibis

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Have you tried Modular Powersuits Nightvision?

Are you playing Monster or Direwolf20? Monster has Blood Magic, which gives you the option to make light sources which can be placed up in the air instead of on the ground so as not to interfere with machines. Ars Magicka has the same thing. You'll need to place a block, but they hang around once the block they're placed against is removed.

Another option is microblocks. Cut a glow stone block or Project Red lighting into nooks and place them behind covers. Microblocks don't block light, so the light will shine through. The one annoyance however is that you'll need two thick walls or floors for it to be completely hidden.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Thaumcraft Lamp sounds like it will fit your bill. It spaces 'empty' light source blocks around the area . They don't really impact or have any effect on blocks or items, they just kinda hang there and produce light.

ryter78

Jul 29, 2019
If you have access to Thaumic Tinkerer, and are willing to spend a little while doing the research, I would recommend the Gaseous illuminae to you. It's basically an invisible light source, which you release into the world via a right click. Each one lights up 16 or so blocks, but you can put blocks in the area without risk of the light going away. So yea, you can light up an entire base using a light that acts like it isn't even there! (Well, there are a few particles that come every once in a while, but that's about it.)

Lumaceon

Popular Member
Jul 23, 2014
Not Kansas
Fun methods of lighting you will probably never use:
1. Fluiducts carrying lava back and forth.
2. An arcane bore with an arcane lamp attached, ripping apart your base.
3. If you're running 1.7, a glitch exists (in vanilla) where you can place a tall grass block on top of another, light the top on fire and break the bottom one. The fire stays, with it's lighting intact, but it turns completely invisible. It also may require fire spread set to false, not sure though.
Sure, you might set your hair on fire, but that's the price of science!

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Fun methods of lighting you will probably never use:
1. Fluiducts carrying lava back and forth.
2. An arcane bore with an arcane lamp attached, ripping apart your base.
3. If you're running 1.7, a glitch exists (in vanilla) where you can place a tall grass block on top of another, light the top on fire and break the bottom one. The fire stays, with it's lighting intact, but it turns completely invisible. It also may require fire spread set to false, not sure though.
Sure, you might set your hair on fire, but that's the price of science!
Actually a lot of people put molten glowstone in fluiducts as a lightsource.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
A Fan from Rotarycraft could be used to spread fire around. If you power it directly with a steam engine with burning netherrack under it, it might be able to grab that fire and spread it to normally non-flammable surfaces in front of it. I haven't tested this, so it may or may not keep enough fire spread around to provide a constant light source, and setting things on fire is probably a bad idea no matter how you go about it.

...Yeah, floodlights are probably better all around. Or Arcane Lamps from Thaumcraft, I'm a fan of those. They only place enough floating "Glimmer of Light" blocks to keep everything within their area of effect at light level 8 or above. The result is kind of spotty, but there's not nearly as many blocks as wrath lamps produce, so you're less likely to run into a problem with one.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Torches under microblocks is how I light everything up... That and jack o lantern nooks.
In that case you mind as well use glowstone nooks.
Man, I didn't think microblocks retained the light spawning capabilities. Or perhaps they didn't earlier. Could have sworn I have tested it before.
Would be awesome to have microblock parts of inverted lamps then(Project red, mariculture etc). But guess the redstone signal deal will be screwed up then.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Man, I didn't think microblocks retained the light spawning capabilities. Or perhaps they didn't earlier. Could have sworn I have tested it before.
Would be awesome to have microblock parts of inverted lamps then(Project red, mariculture etc). But guess the redstone signal deal will be screwed up then.

They do. I use them to light the grounds of bloke towers

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
They do. I use them to light the grounds of bloke towers
Would have loved some uniform coloured strips for my monster build for floors or ceilings:
OXgMCEd.png

Glowstone/Jack'O'Lanterns texture really dont fit in :p

Reactions: malicious_bloke