Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Then go for a pool over glowstone. Or a pool over glass over lava. The second option has the advantage of looking really really cool.
Or a pool under any kind of roof, except maybe glass. You only need the roof over the outer edge of the pool- water will not freeze if there's no solid blocks horizontally adjacent to it, so if you can keep the edges from freezing, the middle won't freeze, either.

Alternatively, when I last used steam engines, I used a Liquid Transfer Node with some Mining Upgrades on an infinite water source to supply them. Works like a charm!

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
water will not freeze if there's no solid blocks horizontally adjacent to it
This is not true.

EDIT:
Upon looking in the code:
Code:
  /**
    * checks to see if a given block is both water, and cold enough to freeze - if the par4 boolean is set, this will
    * only return true if there is a non-water block immediately adjacent to the specified block
    */
   public boolean canBlockFreeze(int par1, int par2, int par3, boolean par4)
   {
     return provider.canBlockFreeze(par1, par2, par3, par4);
   }
"par4" is set on random tick freezing. So I was technically incorrect.
I have seen water freeze in the middle of lakes, however..

Last edited:

Stronp

Jul 29, 2019
Redstone comparator, vanilla :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! That seems to work. However, I'm not any good with how redstone works so I can't seem to make the thing work. Could someone hook me up here? I want to deactivate a fluiduct when the resonant energy cell is filled at about 75-80% (or, if It's easier, activate the fluiduct when the cell is below 20-25%).

If I'm not extremly incorrect the comparator sends a higher/lower signal depending on the filled %, but idk how to measure the strength tbh. I believe the rednet from MFR can do something like that but...Ive got no idea how >_<

I'm playing agrarian skies, so no enderio, but thanks for the heads up

Xheotris

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks! That seems to work. However, I'm not any good with how redstone works so I can't seem to make the thing work. Could someone hook me up here? I want to deactivate a fluiduct when the resonant energy cell is filled at about 75-80% (or, if It's easier, activate the fluiduct when the cell is below 20-25%).

If I'm not extremly incorrect the comparator sends a higher/lower signal depending on the filled %, but idk how to measure the strength tbh. I believe the rednet from MFR can do something like that but...Ive got no idea how >_<

I'm playing agrarian skies, so no enderio, but thanks for the heads up

Strength = distance in normal redstone from 0 to 15. So convert the percentage to that scale, then place a repeater that far away from the comparator. Proceed as normal from there. This is, of course, the Vanilla way to do things.

Reactions: buggirlexpres

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Or a pool under any kind of roof, except maybe glass
See, that's what I thought, but it didn't seem to be the case. A mod I have installed may be changing how it works, but I CBA to check 38 mods.
Alternatively, when I last used steam engines, I used a Liquid Transfer Node with some Mining Upgrades on an infinite water source to supply them. Works like a charm!
I would use that, but I don't have ExU installed. My only liquid transfer options are BC Pipes, RoC Pipes, and RC Carts.

Reactions: Xheotris

pjfranke

Jul 29, 2019
See, that's what I thought, but it didn't seem to be the case. A mod I have installed may be changing how it works, but I CBA to check 38 mods.

I would use that, but I don't have ExU installed. My only liquid transfer options are BC Pipes, RoC Pipes, and RC Carts.

I didn't remember the name of the angular transducer in my first post, but that is what I was referring to with checking the pipe. Glad you got it sorted.

Do you have engineers toolbox? You could use a modular socket with the appropriate sides, feeding BC pipes to the steam engine. That's how I setup the water source feeding two and a decent sized solar tower. Or a BC pump fueled by a Redstone engine. BC pipes can certainly keep up with steam engines.

pjfranke

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, it's a very minimalistic pack intended to be RoC-based, with a couple other mods thrown in so I can A) have even more fun, and B) skip a lot of mining time by looting chests :p
Custom? Didja mean "RotaryCraft based", or "Reika based"? I've been meaning to toss together a pack with at least RoC, ElectriCraft, GeoStrata, Rainbow Trees, and might as well do his expanded Redstone one too, in addition to the other mods I've grown to know and love from other packs. TechWorld 2 was fun, but didn't get enough love for Reika IMO. At minimum we never saw ElectriCraft added, which would have made power transmission and delivery MUCH easier after the magnetostatic nerfs, let alone how much it lagged on RoC updates.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Custom? Didja mean "RotaryCraft based", or "Reika based"? I've been meaning to toss together a pack with at least RoC, ElectriCraft, GeoStrata, Rainbow Trees, and might as well do his expanded Redstone one too, in addition to the other mods I've grown to know and love from other packs. TechWorld 2 was fun, but didn't get enough love for Reika IMO. At minimum we never saw ElectriCraft added, which would have made power transmission and delivery MUCH easier after the magnetostatic nerfs, let alone how much it lagged on RoC updates.
RotaryCraft, not Reika. I really don't like GeoStrata or Dye Trees. His others I just didn't see much point in having, though if you wanna continue thid convo please do it through PM; we are cluttering this thread ;)

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Trying to automate smeltery using steve's factory manager. I like the way you can specify in conditions and output exactly how many mb of liquid you want to use. Figure I could setup a good system to quickly use alot of casting tables or basins in succession without any being dedicated and run through all the liquid in one go.

My problem seems to be a basic one in that I can't seem to access the liquid inventory in any way of the smeltery itself using SFM. I've tried putting inventory cables near drains and nothing happens and I can't seem to think of any other way to do this. I've tried all sides and the controller is item container only. At this point I think I'll have to empty everything into another set of tanks and do it that way but would be nice to do everything in the smeltery and just click on a liquid and it just goes and makes ingots/blocks.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
How does one automate bees without buildcraft?

Either itemducts to extract/input stuff or an ME network.

Alternatively, Gendustry. Industrial apiaries work with various different types of pipe AND they have an automation upgrade that lets them cycle princess and drone offspring to make a new queen. It's actually very efficient ;)

CptSpike

Jul 29, 2019
Either itemducts to extract/input stuff or an ME network.

Alternatively, Gendustry. Industrial apiaries work with various different types of pipe AND they have an automation upgrade that lets them cycle princess and drone offspring to make a new queen. It's actually very efficient ;)

This. Gendustry is lush if you consider bees a means to an end and not something to waste hours of time on. Like me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
What's up with all these spam threads like "BEST SUPPLEMENT FOR FAT LOSS" or "Best effective weight loss tips" ?