Automatically removing items from inventoried items?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I have a bit of a conundrum I would like to solve in my play world. I have lots of items that store other items - like force pouches, MystCraft notebooks, Strongboxes, Golden Bags of Holding, and so on - and would like to not get carpal tunnel by shift-clicking all of the contents (some containers are very full) first into my inventory and then into my ME system. Is there a way to automatically extract the contents of items with inventories?

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure about directly, but you can speed it up somewhat by setting up a Random Things Player Interface and sticking some ME Import Busses on it. You only have to shift-click them into your inventory then, and the import busses will take care of the rest. It'll absorb your entire inventory though, not including your armor slots. It has sided access to your inventory, so you may want to check the Random Things wiki before doing that.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Not sure about directly, but you can speed it up somewhat by setting up a Random Things Player Interface and sticking some ME Import Busses on it. You only have to shift-click them into your inventory then, and the import busses will take care of the rest. It'll absorb your entire inventory though, not including your armor slots. It has sided access to your inventory, so you may want to check the Random Things wiki before doing that.
This is not helpful, as I do not want my entire inventory empty, and do not want to have to click several thousand items into my inventory.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I know of no item that empties items with inventories. I *could* spend a while on the MCF and look for one. I would make one myself, but my ignorance of Java knows no bounds.

Last edited:

MajPayne21

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried space + click? It empties your entire inventory (except your hotbar) into a container or vice versa. You can probably empty most containers into your inventory in one click, and when your inventory is full, you can then space click your inventory into a diamond chest connected to a precision import bus.

It's still heavy on the clicking, but it's probably an order of magnitude faster than individually clicking items around.

I usually do operations like these in a batch process where I totally empty my inventory of permanent items and spend 10 minutes using my entire inventory as a cache for moving stuff around.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Have you tried space + click? It empties your entire inventory (except your hotbar) into a container or vice versa. You can probably empty most containers into your inventory in one click, and when your inventory is full, you can then space click your inventory into a diamond chest connected to a precision import bus.

It's still heavy on the clicking, but it's probably an order of magnitude faster than individually clicking items around.

I usually do operations like these in a batch process where I totally empty my inventory of permanent items and spend 10 minutes using my entire inventory as a cache for moving stuff around.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Space-click does nothing.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Some of the FTB mods in Monster provide shift click and control shift click for moving large numbers of items. Otherwise I can't contribute.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Some of the FTB mods in Monster provide shift click and control shift click for moving large numbers of items. Otherwise I can't contribute.

That's InventoryTweaks IIRC. Helpful mod, if a bit annoying at times.

Reactions: 1SDAN

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
That's InventoryTweaks IIRC. Helpful mod, if a bit annoying at times.
I do not use that mod because it likes to rearrange my inventory at random, and its "auto-refill" behavior not only screws up when I want to separate items, it always manages to pick the wrong item. If I have 10 stacks of greatwood planks and one of birch planks, and run out of one stack of greatwood, it always puts the birch/whatever else in the hotbar.

Reactions: 1SDAN and Padfoote

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I do not use that mod because it likes to rearrange my inventory at random, and its "auto-refill" behavior not only screws up when I want to separate items, it always manages to pick the wrong item. If I have 10 stacks of greatwood planks and one of birch planks, and run out of one stack of greatwood, it always puts the birch/whatever else in the hotbar.

Yep, that's the annoying part of it.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
What is irritating is that I have used it in 1.2.5, 1.3.2, 1.5.2, and 1.6.4, and it has not once refilled my hand with the correct item.

The thing that annoys me the most is when I remove a tool, only to have it put it back in place.

Makes me wonder if there's a config option to turn it off though, since that would make it far more useful.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
The thing that annoys me the most is when I remove a tool, only to have it put it back in place.

Makes me wonder if there's a config option to turn it off though, since that would make it far more useful.
I was - agressively - told there was back in 1.5.2, yet searching for it yielded nothing.

Maybe it is there, but is one of those "turn this off if you don't like fun" options with a useless description.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I was - agressively - told there was back in 1.5.2, yet searching for it yielded nothing.

Maybe it is there, but is one of those "turn this off if you don't like fun" options with a useless description.

This discussion had me wondering about the option, so I sat down and did a bit of testing. Turns out there is a config option for it in the InvTweaks.cfg file, specifically the line that says "enableAutoRefill=true". I switched that to false and did a quick test in a creative world, and it appears to have disabled the auto refill.

So while it isn't the initial solution you were looking for, it should at least help speed up the process thanks to the hotkey to move an entire inventory at once.

CapJackH

Jul 29, 2019
This question has kind of sparked my interest and upon a ton of research I couldn't find anything on the subject of a block that can right click an item. EnderIO was my first guess because it can right click things but that doesn't seem to affect items unless they are placed in the world. On this note, although it would not work for the golden bags of holding and mystcraft notebooks, if BetterStorage backpacks were the used method of storage, those should be accessible by EnderIO or similar mods.

If there doesn't seem a real solution and writing a new mod seems to be the only option, then maybe the solution could be a small 1 inventory slot chest (I'm thinking dirt chest from betterstorage) that when you right click on the block it right clicks on the item inside of it. Then some sort of pipe system or remote block interaction(RemoteIO?) could take out the items. Maybe this could be a redstone controlled block added to Expanded Redstone? This definitely would be a block I know I would use all the time in worlds, so I'm anxious to see whatever solution you do find.

Last edited:

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Oh silly Reika, you know better than this.

There's no standard for how Inventory Container Items work. Well, there is, and it's in CoFHLib, but I'm pretty sure CoFH mods are the only ones that use it. That's why our containers don't nest. :)

Seriously though it's something that needs to happen, but there's no simple "one method" that's going to work here - there's a good reason to store inventories as both free-floating NBT (Satchels) and as tag lists (Strongboxes / other Tiles).

I'll look into something for TE's stuff, for what it's worth.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Oh silly Reika, you know better than this.

There's no standard for how Inventory Container Items work. Well, there is, and it's in CoFHLib, but I'm pretty sure CoFH mods are the only ones that use it. That's why our containers don't nest. :)

Seriously though it's something that needs to happen, but there's no simple "one method" that's going to work here - there's a good reason to store inventories as both free-floating NBT (Satchels) and as tag lists (Strongboxes / other Tiles).

I'll look into something for TE's stuff, for what it's worth.
Any hope of getting XComp on board? Of all the nested inventories, his books are easily the worst due to their large capacity, multiscreen view, and the fact that nearly every page is NBT unique and thus not subject to "group move" behavior.

Reactions: 1SDAN and Narc

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I have a bit of a conundrum I would like to solve in my play world. I have lots of items that store other items - like force pouches, MystCraft notebooks, Strongboxes, Golden Bags of Holding, and so on - and would like to not get carpal tunnel by shift-clicking all of the contents (some containers are very full) first into my inventory and then into my ME system. Is there a way to automatically extract the contents of items with inventories?
Some bags, backpacks etc. support shiftclicking with it on the hotbar onto a chest/inventory to empty all its contents out into that inventory. Sadly not all, but for example the Forestry ones work this way. Easy to set up an "offloading" chest which contents are automatically imported into whichever is the relevant storage. I love this feature for mining/building with multiple 45 slot Forestry backpacks. Unloading takes seconds.

Could be cool if more mods would pick up on this feature(where applicable ofc).