Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
imagine if the only way to find the bosses was dungeons.

I suspect lots of computers would be burned...
So do you want to simply stand there and have things happens with no effort? that sounds boring....

No, but relying on a grindfest to advance is mind numbing. It's worse when that grindfest is attached to RNG.

Nfrance

Jul 29, 2019
If anything AM2 would be better if it were based on knowledge and such you gain from using your magic in a natural feeling way, like how an actual magician would gain more powerful from experience or such. I think the idea behind spamming spells was how a wizard would gain more combat abilities from using their magic in combat to become more adept and better suited for combat magics, but the way it was implemented seems off. I feel if AM2 had a more natural flow to become more powerful and a better magic creation system it would be 10x better, but as of now it's just grindy. And bosses I feel should be major powerhouses, not what they are currently. So either a team of adept mages or a single "archmage" would be needed to kill one.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
If anything AM2 would be better if it were based on knowledge and such you gain from using your magic in a natural feeling way, like how an actual magician would gain more powerful from experience or such. I think the idea behind spamming spells was how a wizard would gain more combat abilities from using their magic in combat to become more adept and better suited for combat magics, but the way it was implemented seems off. I feel if AM2 had a more natural flow to become more powerful and a better magic creation system it would be 10x better, but as of now it's just grindy. And bosses I feel should be major powerhouses, not what they are currently. So either a team of adept mages or a single "archmage" would be needed to kill one.
"actual magician"

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
The issue is that the system is based learning and gaining experience. It use to be that in AM1 this was done via leveling up your normal levels to cash in for magic levels, and you lost half of them when you died, now the more you cast spells, the better you get at spell casting.

Plus, the later bosses are pretty damn tough. Even if you find a way to be immune to fire, beating the fire guardian isn't a walk in the park in AM2.
Think you can take the Fire Guardian with AM2 alone? It's possible. Easier if you are immune to fire, but that's just because his attacks are insanely powerful and ruin armor pretty quickly, and of course do fire damage.
Of course, nothing is stopping me from just using the old, tired "If you can do better, why haven't you?" retort. But that's boring. And I couldn't do better either. And I was a vocal voice in the whole "dying shouldn't strip me of half of my power when that's 50 levels to gain level 50 magic" issue.

Nfrance

Jul 29, 2019
The issue is that the system is based learning and gaining experience. It use to be that in AM1 this was done via leveling up your normal levels to cash in for magic levels, and you lost half of them when you died, now the more you cast spells, the better you get at spell casting.

Plus, the later bosses are pretty damn tough. Even if you find a way to be immune to fire, beating the fire guardian isn't a walk in the park in AM2.
Think you can take the Fire Guardian with AM2 alone? It's possible. Easier if you are immune to fire, but that's just because his attacks are insanely powerful and ruin armor pretty quickly, and of course do fire damage.
Of course, nothing is stopping me from just using the old, tired "If you can do better, why haven't you?" retort. But that's boring. And I couldn't do better either. And I was a vocal voice in the whole "dying shouldn't strip me of half of my power when that's 50 levels to gain level 50 magic" issue.
I understand a lot of this, and I understand the bosses are quite tough for some of them, just the main thing is it at times a little to repetitive, tedious, grindy and almost like an artificial experience instead of a natural progression. But this is just my opinion. I still think it's a great mod, I myself don't use it but that's because It doesn't really fit with the mods I normally use. Also Qaz you get the jist of what I ment -.-

Also to me a real boss fight is something like what Hardcore Ender Expansion does. I feel like a boss shouldn't be some easily summonable entity, like calling a dog. But that's my own opinion, don't put to much weight on what I say. I'm just another minecrafter.

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
I made an AE2 Autocrafting video, not very good quality, but everyone should understand it:
So basically there's no such thing as internal processing anymore, everything is processed externally with interfaces and AE2 adds an automatic crafting table to use with this.

Vazkii

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't really seem all too, fun. Just kinda hitting blocks in the dark, but I doubt this is anything you could solve. The whole Minecraft Combat System needs work.
HEE though, now that's a boss fight.

You aren't left permanently in the dark. The purple beams are landmines of sort. Every few seconds they explode, damaging and giving wither and blindness for a bit to any players inside them. If you're good (aka not me) you can avoid them and not get withered or blinded.

Reactions: GreatOrator

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
You aren't left permanently in the dark. The purple beams are landmines of sort. Every few seconds they explode, damaging and giving wither and blindness for a bit to any players inside them. If you're good (aka not me) you can avoid them and not get withered or blinded.

I realised this, but it still looks like you're just stabbing the boss again and again. Hardly Mr. Freeze, no offence. I still like the rest of the mod.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
So basically there's no such thing as internal processing anymore, everything is processed externally with interfaces and AE2 adds an automatic crafting table to use with this.
Yes. Another change in mechanics that explodes the space requirements. I am so not a happy camper :(

Reactions: Omegatron

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
The biggest complaint against AE1 was the "magic block syndrome". People "hated" that you could store everything and have autocrafting in such a small space. So Algo fixed the complaints there.
I didn't. And most people that are satisfied with the status quo won't comment since there is nothing to complain about.
Now it kinda feels like a copy of LP autocrafting.