BluePower (Being Made By Quetzi and MineMaarten and Others)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Hello,

So I was looking around and decided to see if the new mod in progress BluePower, a remake of Redpower had a github repository and sure enough it did. This thread is dedicated to showing off what I found in there.

Blocks
  1. Alloy Furnace
  2. Block Breaker
  3. Buffer
  4. Basalt
  5. A file containing crops
  6. A file containing flowers
  7. Igniter
  8. Sortron (Bluetricity possibly coming back!)
  9. Some ores (Connected Textures?!?!‽)

Items
  1. An Athame (Like a dagger)
  2. Gems
  3. Gem Tools
  4. Seeds
  5. Indigo Dye (Project Table Maybe?)
  6. Nikolite
  7. Saw
  8. Screwdriver
  9. Sickle
  10. Boules
  11. Wafers
  12. Tin Plates

There is also some more stuff that are not implemented in the code yet but are just textures but I will wait to reveal them.

Teaser
flax_seeds.png
[DOUBLEPOST=1402953016][/DOUBLEPOST]Please Excuse the
[/Spoiler]

I have looked at the text editor and I have no idea where they are coming from!!!

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I have looked at the text editor and I have no idea where they are coming from!!!
It comes from the errant spoiler end tag in the first enumeration:
Code:
    Some ores (Connected Textures?!?!‽)[/Spoiler]

[/Spoiler]

On the mod: Not really getting that impressed. RP2 was great for the time. But looking back it is rather dated. I don't think I would be interested in getting a clone of the old RP2. Would IMO be wiser to spend the time taking the inspiration from the good things and improve them instead like we see in mods like Project Red etc.

Last edited:

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
It comes from the errant spoiler end tag in the first enumeration:
Code:
    Some ores (Connected Textures?!?!‽)[/Spoiler]

[/Spoiler]

On the mod: Not really getting that impressed. RP2 was great for the time. But looking back it is rather dated. I don't think I would be interested in getting a clone of the old RP2. Would IMO be wiser to spend the time taking the inspiration from the good things and improve them instead like we see in mods like Project Red etc.
:p thanks didn't see that. Well that's just me being a derp.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
It is a collaborative effort with contributions coming in from quite a few mod authors. There is a highlight from my stream from a couple of days ago that shows the progress so far: http://www.twitch.tv/quetzi/c/4470233

At this point the project has been a thing for about a month. There is lots to cover but it is being covered quickly.

K-4U

Jul 29, 2019
I love the "And Others" part in your title though. But yes. I like the project and hope we can get a semi-working beta out pretty soon.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
It is a collaborative effort with contributions coming in from quite a few mod authors. There is a highlight from my stream from a couple of days ago that shows the progress so far: http://www.twitch.tv/quetzi/c/4470233

At this point the project has been a thing for about a month. There is lots to cover but it is being covered quickly.
This looks really cool, I can't wait to see how this turns out!

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019

Very nice. Personally I would prefer some kind of cooperation with either immibis or P:R to reduce overlap, but I can see where you're coming from wanting the complete product.
Different question, what GIT client are you using there? (I presume it's git)

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019

How do you guys justify this? We see so much guffaw about mod licensing and copyright, and now it seems that you guys are completely duplicating another dev's mod. We know parts have been copied, and functionality has be re-implemented. But you guys seem to be making a full duplication, even down to nikolite.

It just seems confusing, especially since we just saw much confusion over simple flight mechanics.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
How do you guys justify this? We see so much guffaw about mod licensing and copyright, and now it seems that you guys are completely duplicating another dev's mod. We know parts have been copied, and functionality has be re-implemented. But you guys seem to be making a full duplication, even down to nikolite.

It just seems confusing, especially since we just saw much confusion over simple flight mechanics.

Its justified because Redpower is neither open source or useable on a recent version of Minecraft. Eloraam has copyright (assuming she lives in the US, only country with such a fucked system) on the code and textures, not the idea.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Its justified because Redpower is neither open source or useable on a recent version of Minecraft. Eloraam has copyright (assuming she lives in the US, only country with such a fucked system) on the code and textures, not the idea.
Not arguing that. I mean we see it all the time with mods snatching functions from other mods. It just seem confusing that a group of devs would so completely copy another mod, down to the letter with its unique items, ore, and worldgen. so much that there seems to be no slant or flavor that actually differs from the original mod.

Ignore the legalese, it bores me. How does this improve or advance anything? Can I start making a Xycraft remake?

Reactions: Bagman817 and rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Not arguing that. I mean we see it all the time with mods snatching functions from other mods. It just seem confusing that a group of devs would so completely copy another mod, down to the letter with its unique items, ore, and worldgen. so much that there seems to be no slant or flavor that actually differs from the original mod.

Ignore the legalese, it bores me. How does this improve or advance anything? Can I start making a Xycraft remake?
Yeah I bloody well hope there is a permission from the original author to do this in place. As you say I could not really care much less for the legal stuff, but it is just not right to just completely and unmodified copy someone else creative work without proper permission.

Its the old issue: Just because there are no laws telling you to act respectful towards other people, it doesn't mean that you shouldn't do so.

Reactions: RedBoss

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
@rhn I get the impression that you haven't really watched the linked highlight. As much as the mod doesn't interest you, most of your points are covered. The intention is not to tread on anyone's toes or be at all disrespectful, merely to bring back something that a lot of people enjoyed from a mod that has long been abandoned by its author.

@belgabor the GIT client I'm using is Sourcetree

@all part of the motivation behind this project is that the alternatives don't really feel cohesive when used together and additionally the balance feels off. For instance red logic gates feel too cheap while project red gates feel too expensive. The frames mod we'll be tightly integrating with has mechanic very similar to RP2 frames and will allow us to use our own recipes and power for instance.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019

Theres so much wrong with this post. It might be legal but it sure isnt right. I have to admit being a bit of an Eloraam fanboy and I dont really like seeing her work so casually ripped off by others as if its ok. Even though compared to mods of today it would seem old fashioned, people are still copying it. And you know why? Its not because of the code or the textures, its "about the art" -which is a direct quote from the dev herself. I saw it plain as day when I started messing about with RP back in the day, Eloraam has legit inspiration behind what she does so nobody's bastardized version will ever be able to copy the essence of what made it good in the first place. Ever.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Theres so much wrong with this post. It might be legal but it sure isnt right. I have to admit being a bit of an Eloraam fanboy and I dont really like seeing her work so casually ripped off by others as if its ok. Even though compared to mods of today it would seem old fashioned, people are still copying it. And you know why? Its not because of the code or the textures, its "about the art" -which is a direct quote from the dev herself. I saw it plain as day when I started messing about with RP back in the day, Eloraam has legit inspiration behind what she does so nobody's bastardized version will ever be able to copy the essence of what made it good in the first place. Ever.

Casually ripping it off? You can't be serious, this is a group of dedicated people effectively creating a mod from scratch just so more people now and in the future can enjoy it. Ripping something off implies they have something to gain from this asides from the thanks for bringing a mod back from the dead. Just because Eloraam tweeted she might update doesn't mean she will ever or soon.

Still copying it? Please share with me how you see this as a bad thing. I think what this damn community needs is a little old fashioned, when modder did as they pleased and the users didn't complain that "mod X does this better so mod Y sucks!". In every instance the quality of new mods inspired by RP2 matches or surpasses that of the original. The only thing missing is a unified art style.

In this case art = textures. She had a damn good idea, but you can't call it art with a straight face and a dictionary. You seem to think just because someone has a brilliant idea that no one could possibly ever replicate that. You couldn't be more wrong, it just takes time for another person who shares that vision to come along. Also, these days making a mod is not some strange mythical beast like it was in the time of 1.1 and 1.2.5, there is actually documentation that stands a chance of still being relevant in 2 versions.

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
I was thinking about making a Xyclone, but I don't really miss all the useless ores and weird looking blocks :p

Anyways, I don't think we need another RP2 clone, most things have been replaced by other mods. And there's supposedly RP3, but who knows if that's going to be around or not.