Huge problem with taint :( Help?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Gewitterwesen

Jul 29, 2019
Hi there,

first Im a Minecraft newbie, so please sorry in advance if i dont understand something on the first try or do something wrong.

So im playing with the feed the beast launcher and tried the modpack Magic Farm 2 and I love it. I've played vanilla for like a week 24/7 and i really like the farming part and such so I was really existed.
After ca. 20 deaths now, I finally explored the area around my little house a bit more and BAM.. :( 200 meters away is a huuuuuge taint place.
Zwischenablage01.jpg

Of course i started googling and searching what it is and what it does and how to remove it.. so as you can see the area is really huge, the next problem is, it's really close to my house (it is on the map only some meters more in the left upper corner). i found 1 silverwood tree till now, but it didnt got me a sapling and thinking of how much saplings i would need .... jeeeezz.

so long story short.. is there any way to stop it spread? dont tell me to put something around it, as you may or may not vaguely see on the map i already put a 3 block high wood planks wall around it. well it's still on the test.. i had a lake in between and there the taint just spread over the wood planks. i now cleared of all the water, got to the part where the taint isnt yet and put new wood planks. it's not 100% sure but i think it will spread further.
slabs dont work either.........

please help :(

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Just so you know, Magic Farm 2 is designed to be difficult. Other than Blood'n'Bones it's probably the toughest pack in the current generation.

As for taint, it's a thaumcraft thing. To stop it spreading I think you have to get rid of the tainted node (make a thaumometer to be able to see it easily). Later on you can trap the node in a jar, but this takes a lot of vis and a good wand (fair amount of thaumcraft infrastructure, takes a bit of time and resources to set up).

To clear up patches of taint you'll want to plant ethereal blooms. They'll change the biome and make everything pleasant again within their area of effect.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Just so you know, Magic Farm 2 is designed to be difficult. Other than Blood'n'Bones it's probably the toughest pack in the current generation.

As for taint, it's a thaumcraft thing. To stop it spreading I think you have to get rid of the tainted node (make a thaumometer to be able to see it easily). Later on you can trap the node in a jar, but this takes a lot of vis and a good wand (fair amount of thaumcraft infrastructure, takes a bit of time and resources to set up).

To clear up patches of taint you'll want to plant ethereal blooms. They'll change the biome and make everything pleasant again within their area of effect.
Or silverwoods. Silverwoods are easier as they require no infrastructure, but it is a bit of luck to get pure nodes and fairly more expensive due to low sapling droprate

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019

Taint also spreads by itself. It doesn't need a tainted node, but I'm sure they help...
Haven't you had some bad experiences lately with tainted nodes?

Reactions: YX33A

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Taint also spreads by itself. It doesn't need a tainted node, but I'm sure they help...
Haven't you had some bad experiences lately with tainted nodes?
Correct. Taint isn't solely from tainted nodes, but they tend to spawn taint tendrils in the area so if you clean it all up and pack up, come back, and there is taint again, you likely have a tainted node to deal with. And by deal with, I mean give to the kids down the street to play with. They loved that upgraded Hungry Node I bottled. Good thing I bottled it too, it would have consumed the whole universe.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Just because it hasn't been mentioned yet: You can disable taint spread in the Thaumcraft config file.

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
Also just grab shovel and dig out the tainted ground. Taint only spreads like grass on the top layer.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
There are, as I understand it, two aspects to the spread of taint.

fibrous taint spawns on things in tainted biome.
tainted biome "infects" nearby non tainted biome blocks, when there is a lot of fibrous taint.

This means if you can block the spread of fibrous taint, you can block the spread of the tainted biome.

Which means that water barriers *should* work. In fact, flat ground does not provide the "edges" that fiberous taint tends to spawn on, so flattening areas in theory stop the further spread of taint.

Of course, with both flattening, and water barriers, you need to ensure that there are no tunnels underground crossing the barrier, permitting the growth of fibrous taint, and thus the further spread of the biome.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Or, you could nuke the affected chunks at around y=40. That should (mostly) ensure that the taint is gone.
Just because it hasn't been mentioned yet: You can disable taint spread in the Thaumcraft config file.
What, in conjunction with easy mode research? TC is meant for a grueling battle, not a lazy dictatorship![DOUBLEPOST=1402572140][/DOUBLEPOST]
Of course, with both flattening, and water barriers, you need to ensure that there are no tunnels underground crossing the barrier, permitting the growth of fibrous taint, and thus the further spread of the biome.
The BC filler would help with this, in its "horizon" mode (for BC4 at least).

Reactions: GreenZombie

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I like the more exothermic ideas presented here.

Bombard any tainted area until it is a charred dead wasteland.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
RANDOM PRESSURE PLATE
*click*
"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!"
*BOOM*
taint = gone
life = easier
villager population = previous villager population minus one
>_>

I'm aware that there might be those who don't get the joke...

Reactions: dalekslayer96

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Was testing Rogue Like Dungeons last night, hunted around a test world for the overworld tower, finally found one, slap bang in the middle of a tained area. Talk about bad luck...

Zaflis

Jul 29, 2019
Taint will grow down to cave levels too, you will only do a small dent by destroying taint on surface. And that is also why water or even ocean will not stop it.

Unless you get many stacks of ethereal blooms to surround the entire tainted chunks area, there is no way to stop it without changing the config file. The spreading mechanic was just a curious test at best, Thaumcraft mod doesn't have really effective means to combat taint yet. No reason to have the spread enabled in config unless you really like tainted worlds.

Reactions: RedBoss

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
If you want to tackle it one block at a time, I made a video showing how to use the water bucket solution quite some time ago:

It's the tendrils that are key, so you may need to clear off the surface then explore deep to get all the sticky spots.[DOUBLEPOST=1402602163][/DOUBLEPOST]Also prioritize ethereal bloom for your thaumcraft research and you can hold the taint at bay.

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
If you have the Dye Trees mod installed, you can find a rainbow forest where Ethereal Blooms grow naturally. Then it's just a matter of collecting around a stack of them and planting them all over the tainted area. When they clean up their small area, just move them to somewhere else that's still tainted. Rinse and repeat.

Reactions: YX33A

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
If you have the Dye Trees mod installed, you can find a rainbow forest where Ethereal Blooms grow naturally. Then it's just a matter of collecting around a stack of them and planting them all over the tainted area. When they clean up their small area, just move them to somewhere else that's still tainted. Rinse and repeat.
Also the Rainbow Trees themselves are great at fighting Taint. Not the Dye Trees, the Rainbow ones.