Tinker's Steelworks for Newbies (A Reference Guide for the Rest Of Us!)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Unless something has changed, if you want Aluminum Ingots, you still have to cast via table, otherwise breaking up the blocks just causes you to get back Raw Aluminum, which is useless for anything except melting into Aluminum Ingots.

Can the High Oven produce the Molten Glass necessary for Clear Glass production?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Unless something has changed, if you want Aluminum Ingots, you still have to cast via table, otherwise breaking up the blocks just causes you to get back Raw Aluminum, which is useless for anything except melting into Aluminum Ingots.
I've never had a problem getting Aluminum Ingots out of Aluminum blocks in AgSkies.

Can the High Oven produce the Molten Glass necessary for Clear Glass production?
Probably, however I don't see much in the way of improvement over the smeltery unless you're just wanting to cast a crapload of them at a time. Dedicate a High Oven to making nothing but glass, then have a dozen basins to process it with

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Something probably changed then. Or it's specific to AgSkies.

I tend not to use Clear glass in small amounts. Though that's as much how I use it as anything. I tend to need stacks of it at a time.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Something probably changed then. Or it's specific to AgSkies.

I tend not to use Clear glass in small amounts. Though that's as much how I use it as anything. I tend to need stacks of it at a time.
The only real advantage a High Oven would have would be the Deep Tank which would be able to have more basins attached to it than a Smeltery would, due to surface area constraints.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Would the oven melt it faster? Because extraction isn't the problem I'm looking to address, but the speed at which the items are melted. 4-6 drains being pulled by Liquiducts empty a Smeltery completely in no time at all. I presume the same would be true for an Oven. However, I want to know if a three thousand degree oven is faster to melt the sand than a Smeltery. The issue is throughput rather than in or out put.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Would the oven melt it faster? Because extraction isn't the problem I'm looking to address, but the speed at which the items are melted. 4-6 drains being pulled by Liquiducts empty a Smeltery completely in no time at all. I presume the same would be true for an Oven. However, I want to know if a three thousand degree oven is faster to melt the sand than a Smeltery. The issue is throughput rather than in or out put.
Well, that would depend on how big a smeltery we are talking about vs how big a High Oven we are talking about.

A High Oven can only process six sand into glass at a time. A Smeltery can process a lot more than that at once. However, it does so faster, so it might well balance out. At least it will be a more consistent flow rather than an overflow every so often. I haven't done any testing on clear glass.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I've setup my high oven on a bit more massive scale. I now have a single output feeding filtered reinforced tanks, which in turn feed a series of casting tables. 40 of them to be exact. Pictures are over on the AgS base thread.

I'm having trouble with making steam. Can someone show me there setup?

I haven't set up a high oven for steam creation yet, but from what I've read on it, you will need to have the steam drain turned backwards in order to pull the steam out. Stand inside the oven and place the drain. The big connection will be on the outside of the oven and the smaller port on the inside. Then you place another drain from outside the oven as normal. Hook up your steam pipe to the backwards one (large connection) and your water pipe to the small drain connection. Then just provide charcoal.

Reactions: awesomecop

awesomecop

Jul 29, 2019
I've setup my high oven on a bit more massive scale. I now have a single output feeding filtered reinforced tanks, which in turn feed a series of casting tables. 40 of them to be exact. Pictures are over on the AgS base thread.

I haven't set up a high oven for steam creation yet, but from what I've read on it, you will need to have the steam drain turned backwards in order to pull the steam out. Stand inside the oven and place the drain. The big connection will be on the outside of the oven and the smaller port on the inside. Then you place another drain from outside the oven as normal. Hook up your steam pipe to the backwards one (large connection) and your water pipe to the small drain connection. Then just provide charcoal.

I have tried a lot but the water is not turning into steam.

2014-06-02_19.13.08.png 2014-06-02_19.20.56.png

Attachments

• 2014-06-02_19.13.25.png
    2014-06-02_19.13.25.png
    194.2 KB · Views: 161

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I have tried a lot but the water is not turning into steam.

View attachment 11408 View attachment 11410

Ok. I did some experimenting. I was wrong on the drains. They are all placed as normal from the outside. (It's is only the deep tank that needs it flipped.)

First of all, the high oven has to reach 2000 degrees first. That means that in the version shipping with 2.1.6 of AgS, the structure needs to be 3x3x4. (In the latest version of steelworks, the 3x3x3 high oven max temp has been raised to 2000.)

Next, you will pipe in water. The water should instantly turn into steam inside the high oven if it is done correctly.

Next, re-arrange the order of the fluids in the tank so the steam is on the bottom. (similar to how to re-arrange the fluids in a smeltery).

Next use fluiducts to pipe some steam into a tank block of some type. (TE portable tanks work well for this.)

Use a bucket on the tank to get a "Bucket O' Steam".

Now place a servo in the steam connection to the high oven and change it to whitelist mode, and place the bucket of steam in the inventory filter.

Remove the portable tank and connect the fluiducts to steam dynamos. The whitelist will keep steam flowing regardless of the order of fluid in the high oven internal tank. I tried just blacklisting water instead, but it didn't work reliably.

2014-06-02_20.07.29.png

Toops

Jul 29, 2019
-snip- (It's is only the deep tank that needs it flipped.)

First of all, the high oven has to reach 2000 degrees first. -snip-
The what needs flipped in the what? o_o
Also, it's technically 1,300°c (which produces dry steam - ironically, it's a fluid). The rest should work well.

You may also be able to get away with setting it up in such a manner that the rate of water flowing in is a bit slow. On the server I play on, I've got a single aqueous accumulator hooked up to two high ovens, which pump the steam from a fluidduct (with water blacklisted) into a deep tank where it is distributed to steam engines. The idea is that the accumulator is providing water to two things, thus its output is slower than the individual things' outputs. Thus, as soon as water hits the oven, it's turned to steam and drops to the bottom of the tank, where its output fluidduct can catch it before the next trickle of water.

Granted, the output is rate is somewhat low, but it works very reliably. I tossed 4 stacks of charcoal blocks into both ovens a couple days ago and it's still running, powering up several resonate cells.

With all that said, the reason steam production (and cement, and turbines...) is not documented in the in-game manual, is because it's really not exactly ready yet. Though the stream (fluid) works with any compatible device, it's still not as easy as I would like in terms of automation. Also, it's not gaseous enough. So, steam pipes and gasification, ho!

Reactions: jokermatt999

awesomecop

Jul 29, 2019
Ok. I did some experimenting. I was wrong on the drains. They are all placed as normal from the outside. (It's is only the deep tank that needs it flipped.)

First of all, the high oven has to reach 2000 degrees first. That means that in the version shipping with 2.1.6 of AgS, the structure needs to be 3x3x4. (In the latest version of steelworks, the 3x3x3 high oven max temp has been raised to 2000.)

Next, you will pipe in water. The water should instantly turn into steam inside the high oven if it is done correctly.

Next, re-arrange the order of the fluids in the tank so the steam is on the bottom. (similar to how to re-arrange the fluids in a smeltery).

Next use fluiducts to pipe some steam into a tank block of some type. (TE portable tanks work well for this.)

Use a bucket on the tank to get a "Bucket O' Steam".

Now place a servo in the steam connection to the high oven and change it to whitelist mode, and place the bucket of steam in the inventory filter.

Remove the portable tank and connect the fluiducts to steam dynamos. The whitelist will keep steam flowing regardless of the order of fluid in the high oven internal tank. I tried just blacklisting water instead, but it didn't work reliably.

View attachment 11412
Ty it helped me out a lot!

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
The what needs flipped in the what? o_o
Also, it's technically 1,300°c (which produces dry steam - ironically, it's a fluid). The rest should work well.

You may also be able to get away with setting it up in such a manner that the rate of water flowing in is a bit slow. On the server I play on, I've got a single aqueous accumulator hooked up to two high ovens, which pump the steam from a fluidduct (with water blacklisted) into a deep tank where it is distributed to steam engines. The idea is that the accumulator is providing water to two things, thus its output is slower than the individual things' outputs. Thus, as soon as water hits the oven, it's turned to steam and drops to the bottom of the tank, where its output fluidduct can catch it before the next trickle of water.

Granted, the output is rate is somewhat low, but it works very reliably. I tossed 4 stacks of charcoal blocks into both ovens a couple days ago and it's still running, powering up several resonate cells.

With all that said, the reason steam production (and cement, and turbines...) is not documented in the in-game manual, is because it's really not exactly ready yet. Though the stream (fluid) works with any compatible device, it's still not as easy as I would like in terms of automation. Also, it's not gaseous enough. So, steam pipes and gasification, ho!

I think I was just remembering the instructions on the deep tank setup to make sure the drain is facing the right direction.

I initially had my fluiduct with the water blacklisted as I've seen recommended in various places, except that when the water was in the bottom of the high oven gui, the fluiduct would refuse to pull out the steam. If I swapped the position by clicking the steam (and sending it to the bottom), the steam would again flow. If I instead white listed the steam, it would flow out no matter which place it was in the stack of fluid in the tank. Water in the tank made no difference.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Update on Steam power

I've done some more testing in AgS 2.1.8 (Mod version 0.0.4.2fix2)

Steam is really unreliable at any sort of decent flow rate. Water will only convert to steam if it is in the bottom of the high oven tank instead of anywhere in the tank. There doesn't seem to be any way to get the steam to pull out consistently with water in the tank. I tried black listing water, and white listing steam. If fluids are added to the high oven, they always appear on the bottom of the tank. This means that if you have water appear while you are removing steam, it will stop the tank from outputting steam. Clicking on the steam will place it on the bottom of the tank and cause it to output properly. Also, if there are more than 100 buckets of water in the tank, it will not convert to steam (This was in a 7 high oven--not sure if height comes into play or not). So make sure it stays below that.

If fresh water stops being added to the tank, the entirety of the water will convert to steam and can then be pumped out of the high oven.

So, I figured out how to rig a timer to the water supply to regularly cycle it. This will let the water in the high oven internal tank sit without any additional water being added and allow all the water to convert to steam and be pumped out. The problem I ran into with this and fluiducts is that the water is still clearing from the pipe and entering the high oven while the steam output is supposed to be going on. A solution to this is to connect two input ducts. It allows the water to flow into the high oven faster and clear the pipe. With no new water being added to the system, it will all convert to steam and export to your steam consumer. (This lets you use a simple 2 state clock with even cycle periods.)

2014-06-09_20.58.16.png

this was my testing setup so it was rather messy. You need a water tank of some sort. Connect fluiducts feeding two inputs to the high oven. Keep the fluiduct between the tank and the high oven as short as possible. You do not want a lot of water in this duct as it all has to clear before steam can be pulled out. (ignore the top connection. It was there for testing.)

I set my timer to 60 ticks. During that 60 ticks, water is being pumped into the fluiduct. While off for 60 ticks, water clears the pipe and is converted to steam, then pulled out of the high oven.

If you configure 2 high ovens this way with an inverter on the output, the ovens will cycle between themselves thereby evening out the steam output. Because you want to make sure *all* the steam leaves the high oven, you will want to over build your steam consumer, so you will never reach full capacity as you do not want steam to backup in the high oven. A backup in the system will cause it to stop functioning.

If you have multiple power systems, you will want this one to be the primary source of power, and enable additional engines and power plants as necessary.

If you have water in your AE system and can provide the water directly, this works even better!

2014-06-09_23.32.41.png

A single connection using the 250mb/tick setting pumps 15 buckets of water in the high oven in the cycle time. It all converts to steam and will over supply a single steam turbine from MFR. If using the MFR turbine, you will need 2 of them when using AE to supply the water. Do not use the 1000mb/tick setting. It will completely fill the high oven with water, and you will have to break the high oven controller to reset the system. (and go through the reheat process again.)

By the looks of the steam production rates, you will produce just shy of enough steam to supply 3 MFR turbines completely. This should be a perfect design option. As long as the power has a place to flow, you should never backlog the system.

After I move this from my testing area to my production location I will create some better instructions and pictures, but this should be enough to get things moving.

(As a side note, the height of the oven doesn't seem to impact the steam creation although you will want to make sure it reaches the 1300 degrees required before adding your water.)

Last edited:
Reactions: jokermatt999

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Um..maybe this is obvious and that's why it isn't stated [either in this guide or in the in-game book]. Do you just add fuel [and nothing else] to the High Oven to get it melting ores? I'll prob find out before this gets answered but it'd be nice for the next person who looks at the guide.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Um..maybe this is obvious and that's why it isn't stated [either in this guide or in the in-game book]. Do you just add fuel [and nothing else] to the High Oven to get it melting ores? I'll prob find out before this gets answered but it'd be nice for the next person who looks at the guide.

That is correct. Only charcoal in the high oven is needed. A charcoal block is by far the best fuel, but you can also use regular charcoal, and I believe alumentum.

Reactions: SmokeLuvr1971