What would a "modern day" Minecraft be like?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
It all depends on how the mods are supposed to communicate with the base game. In that regard there is no difference between C++, Java, C#, Pascal or any other language you can think of.
Besides, If it weren't for Forge, mods would be a lot harder, even in java
actually without MCP mods would be a LOT harder,

remember that MCP is what decompiles and deobfuscates the java code, and decompiling java is much easier than decompiling C++

Reactions: immibis

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
A "modern day" minecraft would not have a "chunk loading limit", where only a small portion of the world is active and the rest of it is "frozen in time".

A "modern day" minecraft wouldn't make it so difficult to get a multiplayer session going (it would all be built right in to the game).

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
A "modern day" minecraft would not have a "chunk loading limit", where only a small portion of the world is active and the rest of it is "frozen in time".

A "modern day" minecraft wouldn't make it so difficult to get a multiplayer session going (it would all be built right in to the game).
a world is immense (several times the size of the earth) there is no way your comp will be able to even run a single tick for all of it before the next year

also "open to lan"

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Oh? And how would a modern day Minecraft cope with memory usage then?

How does any modern-day MMO cope with memory usage? I dunno. I play other games that have huge seamless worlds and I long for the day when Minecraft is similar.

Look, I'm not a programmer, I'm a dreamer. Humor me. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1400684054][/DOUBLEPOST]
a world is immense (several times the size of the earth) there is no way your comp will be able to even run a single tick for all of it before the next year

also "open to lan"

omg, ratchet freak!! Thank you, bud - not for this thread, but for this one... http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...energistics-system-keep-stopping.22807/page-2

your post at the top of page two saved my Monster world today!! Thank you so much!! (I know, you don't even know what you did LOL). I wrote about it here - http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...you-discovered-today.44874/page-9#post-647051

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019
How does any modern-day MMO cope with memory usage? I dunno. I play other games that have huge seamless worlds and I long for the day when Minecraft is similar.

Look, I'm not a programmer, I'm a dreamer. Humor me. :)

The systems required to run a modern-day MMO.. i think it would deplete your savings account. several times over. :)

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

glepet1962

Nov 15, 2012
Landmark is somewhat close. It's in beta right now. It's mmorpg based so you have to play on a server. Some nice things about it but I don't like the fact that you have to keep your claim maintained or lose it. They have big plans for it though, so could be good.

There is Build a World. www.buildaworld.net. It is also in developement and looks promising.
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/build-a-world-mc-2-0-with-included-mods.36740/

They seem to me to be the most "minecraft like" games out there.

Jadon_Guy

Jul 29, 2019
It would look good, but it would take a lot of time I would think. Just think instead of using java they would prob use a game engine for example "The Creation Engine" (What Skyrim runs on) completely off topic, but that would make the game price go up by a bit. I think it would be cool if you were digging, and you didn't put anything up to support the dirt/stone it would collapse on you and you would have to dig your way out, but have a time limit to get out unless you have a air tank, etc. Just my idea, and even if someone would make a game like this they would prob have to make a physics engine for it too. About the only games I know of that are decent graphics are Starforge, and Space Engineers that allow you to dig, but they don't look as good as you were explaining. XD

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Landmark is somewhat close. It's in beta right now. It's mmorpg based so you have to play on a server. Some nice things about it but I don't like the fact that you have to keep your claim maintained or lose it. They have big plans for it though, so could be good.
You forgot the best part about landmark.

If you build something amazing it could end up in the final version of EQNext :)

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
If Minecraft was programmed in lets say C++, making mods would be more difficult.
Correct me if im wrong.

Actually, I'd love to see a minecraft-like game written using UE4 (the new Unreal Engine 4)... Same blocky mechanic for the environment but all living entities using more realistic models. And ragdoll mechanics :D.

When I can get back to work after my surgery I may pay the $20/mo. to subscribe to UE4 and get the full devtool kit and source code and help on the new Unreal Tournament they announced on 5/8 as a community/Epic project to learn the package. Then we'll see what can happen.

I've seen demos of simple games written entirely in UE4 using no code such as C++...

BTW, UE4 already supports Windows, Mac and Linux. There my even be an Android port later, but that's just a handicapped Linux implementation anyway.

Last edited:

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
i think it would look like this

That's pretty much what I was getting at with my comment... however, I didn't want to name another game and get into some kind of war, and also, I've never even seen Landmark, I've only read about it... but yeah. That's what I was getting at. Something like that. An open world game that doesn't have doors (cut scenes with load times for "zones") and doesn't have "chunk load" issues where not only will a tree not make any noise if nobody is around to hear it... but it won't even fall in the first place.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I'd love to see a minecraft-like game written using UE4 (the new Unreal Engine 4)... Same blocky mechanic for the environment but all living entities using more realistic models. And ragdoll mechanics :D.

When I can get back to work after my surgery I may pay the $20/mo. to subscribe to UE4 and get the full devtool kit and source code and help on the new Unreal Tournament they announced on 5/8 as a community/Epic project to learn the package. Then we'll see what can happen.

I've seen demos of simple games written entirely in UE4 using no code such as C++...

BTW, UE4 already supports Windows, Mac and Linux. There my even be an Android port later, but that's just a handicapped Linux implementation anyway.
RAGDOLLS?!
*throws 1000000000000$ USD at screen*

immibis

Jul 29, 2019

Most of the world isn't doing anything and doesn't need to be loaded into memory (or it could be ignored for processing, but still loaded into memory to save time re-loading it). Oh wait... that's what Minecraft does...

Also they split the workload between tens or hundreds of servers. Talk about making it difficult to get a multiplayer session going?

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Most of the world isn't doing anything and doesn't need to be loaded into memory (or it could be ignored for processing, but still loaded into memory to save time re-loading it). Oh wait... that's what Minecraft does...

Also they split the workload between tens or hundreds of servers. Talk about making it difficult to get a multiplayer session going?

That and most MMO's aren't trying to do what Minecraft is is doing. Most MMO's out there save maybe EQLandmark (but even then I do not know the extent it will be interactive) have worlds that are not very interactive.
MMO's run smoother becasue they are doing way less then Minecraft, plain and simple. When it comes to performance burden "modern" games are big hollow paper mache boulders Minecraft is a lump of un-refined lead.