What would a "modern day" Minecraft be like?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Iluvalar

Jul 29, 2019
I imagine a minecraft with blocks of 1 cm instead of 1 meter. Better physic model that make dirt slide, trees fall and rocks crumble if unsupported. I see a realistic water flowing system and a map generator that is able to render a map, trees and other features with that 1cm precision.

Is see even further, a map generator that pump his data from wikipedia and is able to generate every single tree, plant, flowers, animal and birds in existence. And mythical monsters. Oh ! and weapon and armor and buildings and biomes and ALL !!! :D

I see all that, but with the same gameplay. The same punching tree, the same crafting mechanic we love.

It will be fantastic.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I imagine a minecraft with blocks of 1 cm instead of 1 meter. Better physic model that make dirt slide, trees fall and rocks crumble if unsupported. I see a realistic water flowing system and a map generator that is able to render a map, trees and other features with that 1cm precision.

Is see even further, a map generator that pump his data from wikipedia and is able to generate every single tree, plant, flowers, animal and birds in existence. And mythical monsters. Oh ! and weapon and armor and buildings and biomes and ALL !!! :D

I see all that, but with the same gameplay. The same punching tree, the same crafting mechanic we love.

It will be fantastic.

Maybe our grand children's children can enjoy that on their mid range quantum computer with their Occulus rift 3...

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019
Most of the world isn't doing anything and doesn't need to be loaded into memory (or it could be ignored for processing, but still loaded into memory to save time re-loading it). Oh wait... that's what Minecraft does...

Also they split the workload between tens or hundreds of servers. Talk about making it difficult to get a multiplayer session going?
The exception being Eve. They have 1 (well technically 2, since China got its own) server, but i believe that's a real beasty

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
Have any of you lot heard of TUG?

It's a game that was on kickstarter and the promise was pretty much minecraft with a better engine. I think it even got support from FTB owners and other minecraft modders. sounds exactly like what OP wanted.

chronos_qc

Jul 29, 2019
You guys might be interested in this game, Blockscape. Imo it looks very promising.

Last edited:

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
They could update the game for 90s graphics and tweak the combat engine a bit and then you have morrowind XD
Correction: Morrowind with mods that lets you mine, cook food, build houses, and a basic needs mod. That said, doesn't morrowind already have all of the above as mods?