Why are all the servers incredibly annoying with their restrictions?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

null123

Mar 27, 2014
Of course you're over 18 *nudge *nudge ;) ;)
(Its the same way you always read and agree to the T's and C's right?)
Nah, I could never lie like that. A white lie, or an actors lie (to fit the persona of the person you are acting as), maybe. A plain lie, no. I do get the joke though. I actually DO read T & Cs...

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
I agreee with everything that @Siigari said too many servers ban mods rather than players. as it is not guns that kill people but people holding a guns the same with mods it's not mods that cause a lag but people being irresponsible. It is mufh easier to say that from now on this block is banned than just make a hard decision to get rid of few people who spoild the fun. Banning things doesn't sort a problem but only postpone it until players find other ways to lag server. simple chicken farm and dark room can kill server with all the zombies picking up eggs and what then are we going to ban zombies and chickens? Too many owners are obsessed with numbers and don't like banning people. in my opinion I would rather play with 5 good players than 30 crappie one.

Siigari

Aug 27, 2013
Portland, Oregon
I agreee with everything that @Siigari said too many servers ban mods rather than players. as it is not guns that kill people but people holding a guns the same with mods it's not mods that cause a lag but people being irresponsible. It is mufh easier to say that from now on this block is banned than just make a hard decision to get rid of few people who spoild the fun. Banning things doesn't sort a problem but only postpone it until players find other ways to lag server. simple chicken farm and dark room can kill server with all the zombies picking up eggs and what then are we going to ban zombies and chickens? Too many owners are obsessed with numbers and don't like banning people. in my opinion I would rather play with 5 good players than 30 crappie one.
Dude it is 100% true.

So, we had an issue yesterday - and then again today - with a Quarry and Ender Chest bringing the server to a halt. We examined our crash logs and discovered that it wasn't so much the Quarry or the Ender Chest, but the way MCPC+ interacts with chunk loading. One of our admins said "just ban Quarries they're bad anyway" to which I gave a quick retort "dude, we do not ban items. We fix problems."

I have gone through probably half a hundred Server Advertisements, reading them and trying to find out what the draw is to each one. Now, what I'm going to say is a generality so do not let this offend you, but I get a headache from the lack of professionalism, proper spelling and grammar, means to draw out how things are done and lack of actual engagement with the players who are applying. And then on the flip side there's almost always "we're a tight-knit community" and "we work as a team and care about our members!" and then then somehow every server whether it be on CreeperHost or mcservers "No lag, 20 TPS!" -- are all of these servers the same just run by different people?

And that's just it. Minecraft servers are a dime a dozen. It seems like everybody has a server. Whether they're coming from hard-working adults with full-time schedules who just want to do something new, the kid who wants to have his first stab at administrating other people or the die-hard Minecraft lover that just wants to run a server with a group of people one thing is resoundingly clear: everyone wants to have people on their server.

But people can cause problems. We don't live in a utopia, and though I think and put my best foot forward with idealistic views, I realize at the end of the day that people are both the bane and the boon to a healthy server. Knowing when to accept a PERSON rather than another NUMBER on the "Players Online" chart is the difference in my opinion between quality and quantity. Even worse is having to cut members out of your community because of things they say or do. There are reactions to every action and removing people from an established server can be a difficult thing to do. What if they have friends? What if they're a great member that helps with the community but can't abide by rules or listen to the extremely simple rules laid out for everybody? It becomes a balancing act between keeping the server up and healthy and the players engaged and happy.

As I continue on my journey as the go-to admin on what I consider to be a major server (hardware-wise, because we have an entire machine dedicated to one world,) I ponder daily things that will come if I say something to someone, or if I don't say something to someone. Feelings are crazy, especially when you have the feelings, goals and aspirations that many Minecraft players have. Tapping into the community to get a read of them is one of the most enjoyable parts of why I love being an admin. I get to not just interact on a one-to-one level with people but I get to find creative ways to tie everyone together. It's the greatest feeling in the world bringing complete strangers together and seeing them form lasting relationships with each other. I remember back when I played Eve Online I was a corp (guild) leader and we had some great guys in the corp. A guy invited his real life friend into the corp and we quickly became buddies, first in-game, then in real life. He's now one of my best friends and is going to be one of my groomsmen. Those kind of things don't happen often! Real genuine and authentic relationships are so very difficult to establish in an online world where there is zero accountability or responsibility for your actions in any meaningful way. That's why I'm so tough on kids who apply. I had a 20 year-old guy apply to our server and I let him in. I then stumbled across his application to another server saying he was 15. So, we brought him into a meeting with my co-owner and I and asked him his age. He lied to us, again, and we told him that that sort of thing ruins communities, breaks trust but more importantly can destroy friendships. This might be getting back to that utopia concept but I believe that if we can have a group of people who are honest, candid and not afraid to share their life then everyone will be all-the-better and enjoy logging in not to play Minecraft but to see their friends.

Server admins for the most part don't want to be mean, and I have only ever come across a few that genuinely don't seem to give a flying frak about their members. It hurts me to see that sort of thing happen. We've got some guys who are truly injured from past experiences on servers, one guy going as far to say "I don't expect any of this stuff to be true when I log in and I expect to get banned for saying it" but that just goes to show me that these guys are hurt by their past experiences on servers. Maybe they're just surface cuts but I'd imagine with the scope of people who play Minecraft and all come from different walks of life I can imagine there are sensitive people out there who get really deeply hurt by people who take a crap on them. It's unfair and often times the unjust bans come with nasty words from the mouth of somebody who doesn't care about anything but their bottom line. Other guys I've talked to feel like they log in and nobody wants to talk to them or extend the effort to get to know somebody new because they're working on something. While at times I can understand that, I also don't want total hermits occupying space on a server full of people wishing to be in communion with one another. I've done it before and the magic doesn't ever start until I spark up a building friendship with that one dude and then I can't wait to log in to work on to continue working together. If people really want to just have the background noise of a server chat ticking on their screen that's fine, but I'd prefer it be elsewhere where there are like-minded individuals.

Wow, that was a really long post. Some of it might have been cheesy, some of it might have been harsh. Some of it might just have been getting stuff off my chest but I hope there's some insight in there for everyone to take with them.

Last edited:

null123

Mar 27, 2014
Dude it is 100% true.

So, we had an issue yesterday - and then again today - with a Quarry and Ender Chest bringing the server to a halt. We examined our crash logs and discovered that it wasn't so much the Quarry or the Ender Chest, but the way MCPC+ interacts with chunk loading. One of our admins said "just ban Quarries they're bad anyway" to which I gave a quick retort "dude, we do not ban items. We fix problems."

I have gone through probably half a hundred Server Advertisements, reading them and trying to find out what the draw is to each one. Now, what I'm going to say is a generality so do not let this offend you, but after getting a headache from the lack of professionalism, proper spelling and grammar, means to draw out how things are done and lack of actual engagement with the players who are applying. And then on the flip side there's almost always "we're a tight-knit community" and "we work as a team and care about our members!" and then then somehow every server whether it be on CreeperHost or mcservers "No lag, 20 TPS!" -- are all of these servers the same just run by different people?

And that's just it. Minecraft servers are a dime a dozen. It seems like everybody has a server. Whether they're coming from hard-working adults with full-time schedules who just want to do something new, the kid who wants to have his first stab at administering other people or the die-hard Minecraft lover that just wants to run a server with a group of people one thing is resoundingly clear: everyone wants to have people on their server.

But people can cause problems. We don't live in a utopia, and though I think and put my best foot forward with idealistic views, I realize at the end of the day that people are both the bane and the boon to a healthy server. Knowing when to accept a PERSON rather than another NUMBER on the "Players Online" chart is difficult, sometimes. Even worse is having to cut members out of your community because of things they say or do. There are reactions to every action and removing people from an established server can be a difficult thing to do. What if they have friends? What if they're a great member that helps with the community but can't abide by rules or listen to the extremely simple rules laid out for everybody? It becomes a balancing act between keeping the server up and healthy and the players engaged and happy.

As I continue on my journey as the go-to admin on what I consider to be a major server (hardware-wise, because we have an entire machine dedicated to one world,) I ponder daily things that will come if I say something to someone, or if I don't say something to someone. Feelings are crazy, especially when you have the feelings, goals and aspirations that many Minecraft players have. Tapping into the community to get a read of them is one of the most enjoyable parts of why I love being an admin. I get to not just interact on a one-to-one level with people but I get to find creative ways to tie everyone together. It's the greatest feeling in the world bringing complete strangers together and seeing them form lasting relationships with each other. I remember back when I played Eve Online I was a corp (guild) leader and we had some great guys in the corp. A guy invited his real life friend into the corp and we quickly became buddies, first in-game, then in real life. He's now one of my best friends and is going to be one of my groomsmen. Those kind of things don't happen often! Real genuine and authentic relationships are so very difficult to establish in an online world where there is zero accountability or responsibility for your actions in any meaningful way. That's why I'm so tough on kids who apply. I had a 20 year-old guy apply to our server and I let him in. I then stumbled across his application to another server saying he was 15. So, we brought him into a meeting with my co-owner and I and asked him his age. He lied to us, again, and we told him that that sort of thing ruins communities, breaks trust but more importantly can destroy friendships. This might be getting back to that utopia concept but I believe that if we can have a group of people who are honest, candid and not afraid to share their life then everyone will be all-the-better and enjoy logging in not to play Minecraft but to see their friends.

Server admins for the most part don't want to be mean, and I have only ever come across a few that genuinely don't seem to give a flying frak about their members. It hurts me to see that sort of thing happen. We've got some guys who are truly injured from past experiences on servers, one guy going as far to say "I don't expect any of this stuff to be true when I log in and I expect to get banned for saying it" but that just goes to show me that these guys are hurt by their past experiences on servers. Maybe they're just surface cuts but I'd imagine with the scope of people who play Minecraft and all come from different walks of life I can imagine there are sensitive people out there who get really deeply hurt by people who take a crap on them. It's unfair and often times the unjust bans come with nasty words from the mouth of somebody who doesn't care about anything but their bottom line. Other guys I've talked to feel like they log in and nobody wants to talk to them or extend the effort to get to know somebody new because they're working on something. While at times I can understand that, I also don't want total hermits occupying space on a server full of people wishing to be in communion with one another. I've done it before and the magic doesn't ever start until I spark up a building friendship with that one dude and then I can't wait to log in to work on to continue working together. If people really want to just have the background noise of a server chat ticking on their screen that's fine, but I'd prefer it be elsewhere where there are like-minded individuals.

Wow, that was a really long post. Some of it might have been cheesy, some of it might have been harsh. Some of it might just have been getting stuff off my chest but I hope there's some insight in there for everyone to take with them.
This. Just this. Its beutifal. It actually brought a tear to my eye. (Btw, please excuse my spelling everyone, I have been travelling a lot, so I have had to use my phone for posting. I try to correct any errors, but some slip through the cracks (so to speak)

christhereaper

Jul 29, 2019
Dude it is 100% true.

I have gone through probably half a hundred Server Advertisements, reading them and trying to find out what the draw is to each one. Now, what I'm going to say is a generality so do not let this offend you, but I get a headache from the lack of professionalism, proper spelling and grammar, means to draw out how things are done and lack of actual engagement with the players who are applying. And then on the flip side there's almost always "we're a tight-knit community" and "we work as a team and care about our members!" and then then somehow every server whether it be on CreeperHost or mcservers "No lag, 20 TPS!" -- are all of these servers the same just run by different people?

And that's just it. Minecraft servers are a dime a dozen. It seems like everybody has a server. Whether they're coming from hard-working adults with full-time schedules who just want to do something new, the kid who wants to have his first stab at administrating other people or the die-hard Minecraft lover that just wants to run a server with a group of people one thing is resoundingly clear: everyone wants to have people on their server.

But people can cause problems. We don't live in a utopia, and though I think and put my best foot forward with idealistic views, I realize at the end of the day that people are both the bane and the boon to a healthy server. Knowing when to accept a PERSON rather than another NUMBER on the "Players Online" chart is the difference in my opinion between quality and quantity. Even worse is having to cut members out of your community because of things they say or do. There are reactions to every action and removing people from an established server can be a difficult thing to do. What if they have friends? What if they're a great member that helps with the community but can't abide by rules or listen to the extremely simple rules laid out for everybody? It becomes a balancing act between keeping the server up and healthy and the players engaged and happy.

Wow, just wow.
I really think i am going to apply for a spot on your server now.

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019

So much of this applies to moderating these forums as well. At least once a day I find myself facepalming and saying to myself "Really, [community member]? Really?" for those very reasons. I totally relate to your point about how much work it takes--I love this job, but the balancing act is definitely still a struggle, even after nearly nine months of working at it.

I'd totally server with you too, but my laptop cant really run TPPI that well.
(even with the JVM stuff its only just playable. Once machines happen it cant cope).
{I'll earmark your server for when I upgrade}​

Ditto. :/ :)

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
IMO, Whitelist servers are the answer to this. Server admins check who applies and let them in. Honestly, I wouldn't ban items, but rather let people in so that if they make something that I deem maliciously causing lag, they're out. But if they make no lag-causing mistakes for a few weeks, they're in, with more tolerance.
I think that this is the answer, not 18+ servers. Adults can cause lag just as much as kids. Sometimes even more so, considering they may have more experience and know how.
EDIT: Did this trigger a facepalm, Flipz?

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
This is something funny that sometimes happens with players like OP.

They bemoan the random arbitrary banning of items to a level of utter frustration that leads them to set up their own server.
After a couple of weeks they get a lot of players on and they are pleased. A week after that some of the players nuke stuff, either to grief or just becasue. Then players start leaving, the griefed and the griefers (who have no uptight targets to grief so they get bored). The admin in their wisdom realizes that "hmm yeah, it's probably smart to ban nukes".
A week later they get some more new players who are safe from nukes but people are getting robbbed of their items and machines. They start complaining then the budding admin is like OK I will use a protection plugin, this works to an extent, but the thieves get clever and start exploiting loopholes in the plugin with items from mods. Then the admin goes, OK the plugins can't do anything about that item, but I can totally remove them/ blacklist them.
Then a month passes and the admin through their luck has maintained a number of players in the 40's but lo and behold it starts to lag apparently one of the machines has a bug that makes it eat up tic rate when used with a hopper, in their wisdom they ban hoppers (I know right) and the lag subsides.
Now the admin realizes that they are losing players but peoples places are safe and the lag is barely noticeable. They found many fully build high level bases abandoned for weeks and they find new players are getting on, completing their base in a couple days and getting bored by exploiting a glitch. They remove those items and they find players are staying a bit longer.

Then some new player joins, they say their hellos and Hi's and proceed to read your rule sign or ignore it completely only to be surprised when they cant craft a banned item. They then say "WTF? you ban X machine? lame! every server bans it WTF this server sucks. too many items banned! I need to find a server that has no banned items, one that's more vanilla FTB". The admin will then proceed to defend the policies they put in place never having the realization that they where in the same boat as that player that is now annoying them.

Essentially all server ban items becasue it's usually necessary, then again you get those cases of seemingly arbitrary bans that have no real or obvious reason.
Those servers are odd.

Reactions: christhereaper

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
This is something funny that sometimes happens with players like OP.

They bemoan the random arbitrary banning of items to a level of utter frustration that leads them to set up their own server.
After a couple of weeks they get a lot of players on and they are pleased. A week after that some of the players nuke stuff, either to grief or just becasue. Then players start leaving, the griefed and the griefers (who have no uptight targets to grief so they get bored). The admin in their wisdom realizes that "hmm yeah, it's probably smart to ban nukes".
A week later they get some more new players who are safe from nukes but people are getting robbbed of their items and machines. They start complaining then the budding admin is like OK I will use a protection plugin, this works to an extent, but the thieves get clever and start exploiting loopholes in the plugin with items from mods. Then the admin goes, OK the plugins can't do anything about that item, but I can totally remove them/ blacklist them.
Then a month passes and the admin through their luck has maintained a number of players in the 40's but lo and behold it starts to lag apparently one of the machines has a bug that makes it eat up tic rate when used with a hopper, in their wisdom they ban hoppers (I know right) and the lag subsides.
Now the admin realizes that they are losing players but peoples places are safe and the lag is barely noticeable. They found many fully build high level bases abandoned for weeks and they find new players are getting on, completing their base in a couple days and getting bored by exploiting a glitch. They remove those items and they find players are staying a bit longer.

Then some new player joins, they say their hellos and Hi's and proceed to read your rule sign or ignore it completely only to be surprised when they cant craft a banned item. They then say "WTF? you ban X machine? lame! every server bans it WTF this server sucks. too many items banned! I need to find a server that has no banned items, one that's more vanilla FTB". The admin will then proceed to defend the policies they put in place never having the realization that they where in the same boat as that player that is now annoying them.

Essentially all server ban items becasue it's usually necessary, then again you get those cases of seemingly arbitrary bans that have no real or obvious reason.
Those servers are odd.
To restate my previous post, whitelist servers with a tentative beginning for the players solve this. Grief or maliciously cause lag and you're out.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
To restate my previous post, whitelist servers with a tentative beginning for the players solve this. Grief or maliciously cause lag and you're out.

That also applies to public servers, I haven't been on a public server that doesn't ban griefers outside of an anarchy setting (but technically that's not grief that just BAU).
Whitelists only mitigate the frequency of grief. So grief or lag anywhere "and you're out".

The phenomenon I described mainly applied to people who want truly public servers.

Plus whitelists don't prevent grief entirely, they actually attract the worst kind of griefer, the dedicated kind that gain trust and do more damage. Even so most whitelisted servers still have protection plugins and banned items due to this contingency.
I mean the last one I was on banned hoppers, temp banned the equal trade focus and used Grief protection... Apparently hoppers cause an abnormal amount of world check spam. The server in question apparently had a problem with a team of griefers using the equal trade focus to turn all the leaves of a forest in to cobble and generally made a mess.

So while whitelists help it doesn't "solve" the problem so you still end up with the banns and plugins changing things.

But one thing whitelists solve that was relevant to my post was people whining about banned items as most whitelist servers will state it on the signup info page/forum post in a way that's hard to miss (some people still miss it thought).

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Dude it is 100% true.

Tl;dr: Some servers are bad, some are good, some are in the middle. Things need,to be in a balance, we are not in a utopia, some people have different reasons, and some lie. About right?
But seriously, that is one if the best posts I have ever read. Not in a funny way, but in a true way that i %100 agree with.
Added to siggy

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
We need to have restrictions to create a server where people are not constantly complaining to put it simply

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
We need to have restrictions to create a server where people are not constantly complaining to put it simply
Correction; You make restrictions that provide an acceptable complainer/ non-complainer ratio.
The old addage "You can't please them all, but please most of them" comes to mind.

---

To the people talking about "Ban the person doing damage, not the mod/ item" on a popular server white listed or not is just not feasible. Clearly people saying that have not been an admin of a server with a greater then a 10 player capacity before (that or they are godmins who are being paid or have supernatural admin abilities or way too much free time).
If an item exploits/ buggs out and is clearly broken you can't realistically watch every player like a hawk ready to intercept them when they use a bugged out item to exploit/ lag the server, this is especially true of crash bugs. It's much more practical to ban the item, sometimes the mod if banning the item ruins the mod.

There was a time where I was playing on a tekkit server back in minecraft beta days or whenever one of the early iterations of buildcraft that had that wooden pipe chunk corruption bug was live.
The crash was caused when an item tried to travel through a wooden pipe back in to a chest, it was impossible to use buildcraft's pipes without chunk corrupting crashes, so the mod was removed and for that server it never returned as RedPower tubes where a better option (but also had a similar bug lol).
Now they could have constantly repaired the map and ban the players misusing the pipes which would require too much effort to be expected of hobbists who as far as I knew had lives. Also most of the time people tripping up and crashing the server did not do so deliberately and it happened often, if you where fair server staff you gave them a warning but this lead to those warned people sometimes disregarding the warnings.
Also IIRC on the same server we had the same problem with a different mod but with the reverse solution put forth. Back in the day of the dreadded cable loop packet spam exploit in IC. Whenever the server looked like it was struggling the only 2 admins had to search everyone's base for people both accidentally and purposefully cable looping. Unfortunately at that time though banning IC2 from tekkit meant you had half a modpack.

Managing people is not an easy task, anyone who thinks it is is either very talented or delusional. Being a server admin isn't all fun and games either, there are a lot of BS things that lead you to become jaded and burnt out with people Minecraft modded or otherwise.