Why are all the servers incredibly annoying with their restrictions?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

TwiiCe

Jul 29, 2019
I've been trying to find a close to "Vanilla" ftb server.
I would prefer everything to be available, and I guess there's servers that have this. They're just hard to find..
I would love to find a server with little to none blocked items.
I would be able to host one myself, had I known more about the mods.
I am fairly new to FTB, and when I watch direwolf on youtube he makes items that are blocked on most servers.
One of them had Tesseracts, drums, pumps and chunkloaders banned..?!
How am I supposed to set up a stable energy system with little to nothing to work with, while bearing in mind that I barely have knowledge of the mods.

Anyhow, enough ranting.. Here's my real question.. I'm looking for a server me and my friend can join (only one friend).
We're mostly building together, I'm the creative builder, he's the technician.
Any recommended servers that have little to none blocked items?

Thanks and sorry for the rant..
-TwiiCe

TheAwesomater

Jul 29, 2019
I would prefer everything to be available, and I guess there's servers that have this. They're just hard to find..
I am fairly new to FTB, and when I watch direwolf on youtube he makes items that are blocked on most servers.
How am I supposed to set up a stable energy system with little to nothing to work with, while bearing in mind that I barely have knowledge of the mods.

Anyhow, enough ranting.. Here's my real question.. I'm looking for a server me and my friend can join (only one friend).

-TwiiCe
Some items can cause dupe bugs (drums), lag (nether pumping with flowing blocks left behind and some are simply impractical on large servers dur to the high number of players (too few tesseract frequencies (I know about private frequencies but some admins are idiots))

Some servers even have the annoyance to make you pay for items! (Eg - quarry)

To get around this, find a small server with a good community or set up your own. Generally the servers that ban items are too big to be properly admined so they just resort to banning items.

Most of the servers in the server promotion section of these forums will not ban items because they know that the non-noob community really does not like it :)

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
Some items are able to bypass plugins, while others can cause lag.

Try looking here for a whitelisted server that meets your requirements. Public servers usually don't have a dedicated community, are prone to grief, and tend to ban a lot of items.

Rage

Jul 29, 2019
Servers hate their lag. Heck, I bet I could make a server ban furnaces if I placed a couple million of them.

I think we all know the frustrations of trying to play on a laggy server.

Sent From My Note 3 Via Tapatalk App

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
Servers hate their lag. Heck, I bet I could make a server ban furnaces if I placed a couple million of them.
Thus is why servers ban some blocks. Cause people actually do stuff like this and cause mass lag. (I assume @DZCreeper is smart enough not to do this on a live server).

Reactions: Siigari

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Thus is why servers ban some blocks. Cause people actually do stuff like this and cause mass lag. (I assume @DZCreeper is smart enough not to do this on a live server).

HAHA, I thought the sarcasm was evident. Who would make a million furnaces instead of TNT cannon's if they wanted to lag a server. I know perfectly well what to do on live servers, I used to run quite a few servers.

Last edited:

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Because some minecraft modders seem to think we're using computercraft for our servers. Performing poorly? Just add more servers, they're just a bit of smooth stone, glass, and redstone. Simply stated, the only modded minecraft server that never gets laggy is the one with 0 players.

I think you're better off joining a gaming community that runs servers for various games. That way everybody on the server already knows each other and with a bit of self-policing/education you can have a server that doesn't lag all day every day.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Because some minecraft modders seem to think we're using computercraft for our servers. Performing poorly? Just add more servers, they're just a bit of smooth stone, glass, and redstone. Simply stated, the only modded minecraft server that never gets laggy is the one with 0 players.

I think you're better off joining a gaming community that runs servers for various games. That way everybody on the server already knows each other and with a bit of self-policing/education you can have a server that doesn't lag all day every day.
In the modders defense, some have no choice. For example, Reika. Rotary craft is performance heavy by nature because of the physics engine. To remove that would be to ruin the mod completely.[DOUBLEPOST=1400205102][/DOUBLEPOST]

-TwiiCe
I highly suggest renting your own server from a host such as Creeperhost or Fragnet. That way YOU are in charge of whats banned. And if it's only the two of you, you don't even need a particularly powerful server.

Siigari

Aug 27, 2013
Portland, Oregon
My server does not restrict or ban anything. And we're extremely active during US timezone hours. :)

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...whitelist-dedicated-lagless-ts3-dynmap.45338/

We have one restriction - Mystcraft is allowed, but you must allow us to pre-generate your world once a week during our weekly downtime to use it. No lag for others while you explore your world.

edit: I want to expand on why we don't ban items.

I am charged with running a community of responsible individuals. Somebody here joked earlier that building a house out of furnaces is a great way to get furnaces banned. To put it simply, if we were ever to find players doing things like that we'd probably have a laugh together then ask them to stop inducing lag on our server.

We run a super-tight ship. We have scheduled downtime every week to render player's ages, and push the world border out a bit further and render that. As the server grows, so does the world.

In the week we've been live we have seen TPS ever drop to 18 once and that was when four people accidently caused a rotary craft loop. We quickly swooped in and found what was going on, helped them find the problem together as a team and then everything was smooth sailing from there.

I don't ban items that cause dupe issues or items that are "cheaty." We don't run GriefProtection or any plugins as such. The world is ours, truly. We're adults on our server, and I think most of us understand that if we want to really stretch our enjoyment out we won't do things like that. And as an administrator I do not cheat things in. I work hard for what I get. I want to stretch my time, too. I just got a 5x ore processing setup done today and had to throw down a Salination Tower and tesseract in a far away remote location where I could have it stolen at any time. Am I worried about it? Not in the slightest. We screen for quality and we care about things in the following order:

1. Server first. Without the server there'd be no community.
2. Players second. We need to work as a team to keep the players engaged and healthy.
3. Administration is the last piece. Without admins a server wouldn't run. Without mods things could get hairy at times.

We don't monetize blocks. We are planning to open up some donations to become a member of our server and all that will include are "thank you!" amenities such as a few extra sethomes or a guaranteed log-in slot that adds one extra slot to the server in real-time and allows that player to log in. All these donations go towards is the server and the admins for the time spent keeping the community thriving. Running a good Minecraft server is HARD WORK. Running a crappy one is easy -- and the headaches that come along with running a crappy server cause them to crumble quickly.

If you want to cheat and exploit and ruin your game, whatever. I can't tell you no, but please do not attempt to exploit our members. You know? Your game is your game, we just have a community to enjoy it together.

Last edited:

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Lag can be induced by virtually anything if used with malicious intents, or if not used correctly. The house of furnaces or accidental item spillage with buildcraft pipes are examples for that.

Hate the player, not the block. If a player's build casuses serious TPS problems then explain it to them or ban them. Active admins and mods are needed for that and the server must not be too big.

psp

Jul 29, 2019
My server does not restrict or ban anything. And we're extremely active during US timezone hours. :)

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...whitelist-dedicated-lagless-ts3-dynmap.45338/

We have one restriction - Mystcraft is allowed, but you must allow us to pre-generate your world once a week during our weekly downtime to use it. No lag for others while you explore your world.

edit: I want to expand on why we don't ban items.

I am charged with running a community of responsible individuals. Somebody here joked earlier that building a house out of furnaces is a great way to get furnaces banned. To put it simply, if we were ever to find players doing things like that we'd probably have a laugh together then ask them to stop inducing lag on our server.

We run a super-tight ship. We have scheduled downtime every week to render player's ages, and push the world border out a bit further and render that. As the server grows, so does the world.

In the week we've been live we have seen TPS ever drop to 18 once and that was when four people accidently caused a rotary craft loop. We quickly swooped in and found what was going on, helped them find the problem together as a team and then everything was smooth sailing from there.

I don't ban items that cause dupe issues or items that are "cheaty." We don't run GriefProtection or any plugins as such. The world is ours, truly. We're adults on our server, and I think most of us understand that if we want to really stretch our enjoyment out we won't do things like that. And as an administrator I do not cheat things in. I work hard for what I get. I want to stretch my time, too. I just got a 5x ore processing setup done today and had to throw down a Salination Tower and tesseract in a far away remote location where I could have it stolen at any time. Am I worried about it? Not in the slightest. We screen for quality and we care about things in the following order:

1. Server first. Without the server there'd be no community.
2. Players second. We need to work as a team to keep the players engaged and healthy.
3. Administration is the last piece. Without admins a server wouldn't run. Without mods things could get hairy at times.

We don't monetize blocks. We are planning to open up some donations to become a member of our server and all that will include are "thank you!" amenities such as a few extra sethomes or a guaranteed log-in slot that adds one extra slot to the server in real-time and allows that player to log in. All these donations go towards is the server and the admins for the time spent keeping the community thriving. Running a good Minecraft server is HARD WORK. Running a crappy one is easy -- and the headaches that come along with running a crappy server cause them to crumble quickly.

If you want to cheat and exploit and ruin your game, whatever. I can't tell you no, but please do not attempt to exploit our members. You know? Your game is your game, we just have a community to enjoy it together.
I play on a server where Nothing is banned and it is almost completely vanilla besides protection blocks. No donation ranks and it just got reset if anyone wants me to pm them the ip.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
In the modders defense, some have no choice. For example, Reika. Rotary craft is performance heavy by nature because of the physics engine. To remove that would be to ruin the mod completely.

Reika significantly improved the performance of Rotarycraft since its initial inclusion in Horizons without noticeably damaging the physics engine, much less ruining the mod completely. If there is a mod that would be ruined by moving its performance in line with mods of similar scope then that mod quite frankly doesn't belong on a server.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Lag can be induced by virtually anything if used with malicious intents

relevant to my interests...

The house of furnaces or accidental item spillage with buildcraft pipes are examples for that.

Which is why AE should be mandatory. I remember playing on one server where a guy had a bank of cobble generators emptying into chests. He went away for a few days, the chests overflowed and almost killed the server from the amount of entities the pipes spilled onto the floor XD

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019

Huge number of ways to generate power. Getting better knowledge of them helps more than bemoaning a lack of some banned items. Someone is putting out time, effort, and money to run a server. Their playground, their rules. We should all be thankful that so many people put up with us playing on their servers. Finding a small, whitelisted server and applying to play on it will probably get you what you want. Public servers get too many people, many of which could care less about lagging a server, or don't even know they are doing it, to keep every item from all the dozens of mods available to play with.