Rotary Extractor going to slow for you?

whd23

Jul 29, 2019
this week I saw the twitch streamer ZeekDaGeek build a very awesome extractor setup from Rotarycraft.
the setup was so insanely fast, he was swimming in resources in a matter of minutes.

after rewatching the stream I was able to rebuild this setup in my own creative world, and I'm now sharing the setup for the ones interested. Zeek was using a computer in his setup to provide a redstone signal timer, but since I can't code at all I instead am using the timer/toggle switch from ProjectRed

the setup looks like this...
xKdZww5.png

for this setup I'm using the following items...

• 4 Gas Turbines
  • 3 Shaft Junctions
  • 2 Bevel Gears
  • 1 Extractor
  • 1 CVT Unit with 31 Belts set at 8x Speed with Redstone Signal on, and 32x Speed with Redstone Signal off

you'll also need

• 1 Timer
  • 1 Toggle Switch
  • an infinite water supply
  • Jet fuel
the gas turbines output go into the 3 shaft junctions and 1 bevel gear. you'll need to rotate the input/ouput of the shaft junctions correctly with the screwdriver. green is input, red is output. you set the input/output of the bevel gear through an interface, right click the bevel gear with a screwdriver to see which colors you'll need. you may need to place the bevel gears in a certain direction to get the colors working correctly. for some odd reason I couldn't get the bevel gears to save the color configurations, but when I placed it in a different direction it did work...

as seen the bevel gears goes first, leading into 3 shaft junctions, which then lead into a CVT unit. you'll need to fill the CVT unit with 31 belts and set it to redstone control, with 8x Speed with Redstone Signal on and 32x Speed with Redstone Signal off. don't forget the CVT unit needs 1 bucket of lubricant to work, but it doesn't need more then that 1 bucket.

the CVT unit leads into another bevel gear as the extractor needs to be powered from the bottom. again you can configure the input/ouput through the inface. place the extractor on top and make sure the extractor has water as some steps require water. in the picture you can see I'm using a creative tank from Thermal Expansion, but you could also for example use an aqueous accumulator from Thermal Expansion

you can also choose to have an automatic input/output for the extractor, and as you can see, I'm using the itemducts from Thermal Expansion for this.

don't forget to place down the toggle switch and timer at the CVT unit, as this is the whole reason why this setup is so insanely fast. the extractor goes through several stages to refine the ore, but each stage needs a different speed and torque. by constantly switching the redstone signal on/off the CVT unit will keep switching the speed and tourge. place the toggle switch's output towards the CVT unit, and place the timer at the input from the toggle switch. put the timer to tick at 1 second everytime. ofcourse don't forget to put a switch at the timer otherwise the timer will constantly keep ticking.

the last thing you'll need is jet fuel for the gas turbines. jet fuel isn't the easiest to get, but if you've done the build so far some jet fuel shouldn't be a problem. I'm using another creative tank from Thermal Expansion to feed the jet fuel into them through liquiducts.

now you're pretty much done. fuel the turbines with the jet fuel, and the whole thing starts working. now it does needs a few seconds for the extractor to start going, but soon as you've it running, you better have a large chest ready for the resources

it's best to first collect a large amount of resources, and then mass process them in the shortest amount of time to save on jet fuel. all creds ofcourse go to ZeekDaGeek

Seems to me that you're using too much input power.

According to the equations on this page* (http://rotarycraft.wikia.com/wiki/Extractor) I believe that the maximum speed for each stage is achieved at 32k r/s, 1M r/s, 1M r/s, and 64 32k r/s respectively. Using more torque than required for a particular action in RotaryCraft will not speed up the action. Using those speeds and the minimum torque requirements shows that stage 1 is the most power-hungry at 16MW. One gas turbine produces 64MW, I can't imagine you need four of them.

I shared information about my extractor setup here: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/against-the-ropes-rr-vs-monster.44300/page-2#post-611693

*If the information on the wiki that I linked to is incorrect I apologize. I see that @Reika has some posts on that wiki but I don't know if that means that the wiki information is correct or not.

Last edited:

Dezz

Jul 13, 2013
Seems to me that you're using too much input power.

According to the equations on this page* (http://rotarycraft.wikia.com/wiki/Extractor) I believe that the maximum speed for each stage is achieved at 32k r/s, 1M r/s, 1M r/s, and 64 32k r/s respectively. Using more torque than required for a particular action in RotaryCraft will not speed up the action. Using those speeds and the minimum torque requirements shows that stage 1 is the most power-hungry at 16MW. One gas turbine produces 64MW, I can't imagine you need four of them.

I shared information about my extractor setup here: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/against-the-ropes-rr-vs-monster.44300/page-2#post-611693

*If the information on the wiki that I linked to is incorrect I apologize. I see that @Reika has some posts on that wiki but I don't know if that means that the wiki information is correct or not.
@Reika So, is this guy right?

Dezz

Jul 13, 2013
By the way OP, the fact that you don't have any protection around your turbines bothers me.

I can't even tell you how many times I have lost my power armor suit and all my TiC tools to those damn engines.

The sound they make... When you get caught in it... Just... *shivers*

Least to say, I have learned to take off any armor and leave any valuables behind when I screw with these machines.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
By the way OP, the fact that you don't have any protection around your turbines bothers me.

I can't even tell you how many times I have lost my power armor suit and all my TiC tools to those damn engines.

The sound they make... When you get caught in it... Just... *shivers*

Least to say, I have learned to take off any armor and leave any valuables behind when I screw with these machines.

you should look very closely to the screenshot
you'll notice it's a completely flat world made out of a plains biome... good bet that I did the setup in a test world ;)

Dezz

Jul 13, 2013
you should look very closely to the screenshot
you'll notice it's a completely flat world made out of a plains biome... good bet that I did the setup in a test world ;)
I know, but still, it makes me cringe none the less. Haha

Caotical

Jul 29, 2019
Am I the only one that noticed that there is a massive amount of energy that is lost by chaining up engines in this fasion? Thing is that when you put energy into a shaft junction you keep the same speed and add the torque. With that basic principal in mind wouldn't you be able to gain far more out of a gas turbine, which for example has a large portion of its power output in speed, by putting a CVT or 2 in front of the shaft junction with the setting to torque. Granted this will mean that you will have to put more CVT's in front of the extractor, but this could reduce the number of turbines you need to get the same results.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Am I the only one that noticed that there is a massive amount of energy that is lost by chaining up engines in this fasion? Thing is that when you put energy into a shaft junction you keep the same speed and add the torque. With that basic principal in mind wouldn't you be able to gain far more out of a gas turbine, which for example has a large portion of its power output in speed, by putting a CVT or 2 in front of the shaft junction with the setting to torque. Granted this will mean that you will have to put more CVT's in front of the extractor, but this could reduce the number of turbines you need to get the same results.
The whole idea is not to brute-force all stages, but to power 1/4 and 2/3 alternately.

Caotical

Jul 29, 2019
No i understand that reika (love your work btw) my point is that the same results should be obtainable with less turbines and therefore requiring less fuel. I'll have to do some testing.