Update on the Future of FTB Modpacks in 1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Do any mods other than Buildcraft and Resonant Induction have any pumps that work on fluids other than lava?[DOUBLEPOST=1398622533][/DOUBLEPOST]

Does that work on fluids other than lava?
Mekanism's Electric Pump works on lava and water. Have not tested on any other fluids in the world yet but I assume it should work.
SHOULD™.

PurpleMentat

Jul 29, 2019
If it were my call I would bring power output in line with the "pain in the ass" factor of the power solution in question, instead of banishing the tougher mods. It's not my call though, and these are only my opinions.

tldr; biscuits.

edit: and I apologize if this post sounds almost fearful. we'll see how it turns out, but I don't see any pack I'd be interested in playing being very popular after this, and as such good luck finding a populated server :p
So, my biggest issue is you keep talking about 'banishing' the tougher mods. They aren't banishing anything. They are building entire packs balanced around them! They have said they are planning 10 packs for 1.7. They have implied that only 2 of them will be tech packs that exclude IC2, and one of them will be an IC2 focused pack. There is no banishment or Siberia or anything of that nature. They are trying to build the sorts of packs that the community has been telling them it wants for the past two versions of Minecraft.

Increasing the output of the 'tough' mods would have the result I was talking about earlier. People who are fans of that balance point, the ones who want to use those mods in the first place, would throw a fit about FTB "forcing" their idea of mod balance on the community. Increasing, for example, Nuclear power output to be "worth the effort" from your point of view would just have a different group of people screaming at them.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
GIVE ME ALL THE PACKS.

But I do wonder how the forgecraft servers will work after this.....

people seem to forget that Forgecraft isn't a FTB server hosted by FTB
it's a few servers that are hosted by Pahimar (or by now probably someone else) where mod developers, let's players, modpack creators and anyone important to the modded community can play on a few different servers to try out the mods, play modded minecraft with eachother and have fun, it's not an official FTB server that's used for FTB

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Mekanism's Electric Pump works on lava and water. Have not tested on any other fluids in the world yet but I assume it should work.
SHOULD™.
If it works the same way that it did a few moons ago when I played with it and Mystcraft, then I know it supports fuel, as well. Theoretically, it should support anything in the Forge fluid library.

Farinhir

Jul 29, 2019
There is only one real problem with RC's power system.

https://www.examtime.com/p/772405-RotaryCraft-Knowledge-Test-quizzes

You have to get a passing grade over there :).

(Seriously, try it -- and then realize that people complain in Reika's thread that can't handle that.)

So I finished this with a 93%. I missed one of the select multiple questions because I misread one and did not select it. Go figure.

And on a side note, I feel that RotaryCraft does have sufficient RF support to be included, and does bring enough to the table (some which other mods do not do) and therefore hope it is in the main pack.

SHOULD™.

RotaryCraft also has a pump that should work on other fluids.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Focused, cohesive...but all I see it doing is forcing people down a particular path in a modpack. I don't mind doing such things within mods themselves, like GT, but for the whole pack not so much. I guess it's a good thing I've stopped playing with modpacks.

I'm off work so I can reply with what I wanted to initially.

They don't, though. You hit the nail right on the head in this next quote.

People gravitate to the lowest common denominator. Whichever power solution is going to be the least hassle for the most power is obviously going to be more popular.

Reika's mods aside, the other two power solutions you brought up are exactly what I'm talking about. A boiler has a very different cost:benefit ratio than an IC2 nuke. Think about it; who in their right mind would build a nuke when they can have a 32hp boiler fully automagically automated, producing ridiculous power with relative safety? Boiler doesn't cost copper/lapis/etc every cycle at that kind of output either. Nukes really aren't worth it; but should it be that way? What I'm saying is instead of throwing the baby out with the bathwater, why aren't things being tweaked to be more attractive for use?

Reika's mods are a prime example of what I mean. Yes, it is a huge pain to make, transfer, and use the power from one of his fusion reactors, let alone the cost (both in time and resources) of building the thing...But god damn is it worth it. Unfortunately not all mods are balanced the way Reika's are. Atomic science had configs to tweak power output last I checked, you would think other mods do as well.

If it were my call I would bring power output in line with the "pain in the ass" factor of the power solution in question, instead of banishing the tougher mods. It's not my call though, and these are only my opinions.

tldr; biscuits.

edit: and I apologize if this post sounds almost fearful. we'll see how it turns out, but I don't see any pack I'd be interested in playing being very popular after this, and as such good luck finding a populated server :p
So you are saying any modpack that doesn't have a difficult power system is garbage and nobody will like it? You have no idea how modded minecraft works then....

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
If it doesn't literally require a stack of diamond blocks to get a single unit of energy, then its too damned easy!
Pfft, stack of nether stars more like, plus also mod the wither to only take damage from nether star based equipment - just for that extra challenge...

(Yes, that makes it "impossible"*, but you know, some people don't think things through...)
(*no doubt someone will work out a way...)

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Pfft, stack of nether stars more like, plus also mod the wither to only take damage from nether star based equipment - just for that extra challenge...

(Yes, that makes it "impossible"*, but you know, some people don't think things through...)
Find portalgun in chest
decraft it
make lowest tier netherstar weapon
kill wither

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
So you are saying any modpack that doesn't have a difficult power system is garbage and nobody will like it? You have no idea how modded minecraft works then....
i don't believe i said that at all. gj misconstruing my argument.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Keep it polite please.
attempting to.

i only request that people read posts and quote based on that, not their own theory on the "deeper meaning" of the post in question.[DOUBLEPOST=1398875016][/DOUBLEPOST]
This doesn't help your argument. In fact it reinforces the confusion.
What should I say that hasn't been said? All he's done is read my post and make his own conclusion on what I "really meant"

I'm at a complete loss with you guys this morning lol :p

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
attempting to.

i only request that people read posts and quote based on that, not their own theory on the "deeper meaning" of the post in question.[DOUBLEPOST=1398875016][/DOUBLEPOST]
What should I say that hasn't been said? All he's done is read my post and make his own conclusion on what I "really meant"

I'm at a complete loss with you guys this morning lol :p
By saying that I meant instead of just telling me I'm wrong, tell me why I'm wrong instead of attempting to insult me.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
By saying that I meant instead of just telling me I'm wrong, tell me why I'm wrong instead of attempting to insult me.
The post you quoted states why you're wrong. I wasn't trying to insult you, merely trying to make my post understandable for you...in wax form. :)

I've clearly said what I think on the topic, and nowhere in it does it say that "If a pack has a simple power solution, it's junk." What I said was, and this is opinion remember, I think packs with simpler power solutions will likely see far more traffic than those that are difficult because of the simple fact that people gravitate to the lowest common denominator (aka most simple solution).

Reactions: Wagon153

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
The post you quoted states why you're wrong. I wasn't trying to insult you, merely trying to make my post understandable for you...in wax form. :)

I've clearly said what I think on the topic, and nowhere in it does it say that "If a pack has a simple power solution, it's junk." What I said was, and this is opinion remember, I think packs with simpler power solutions will likely see far more traffic than those that are difficult because of the simple fact that people gravitate to the lowest common denominator (aka most simple solution).
Ah okay then. Sorry for the misunderstanding!

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Find portalgun in chest
decraft it
make lowest tier netherstar weapon
kill wither
Portal guns are blacklisted from the uncrafting table ;)

install better dungeons
Find nether city
Find nether stars on item frames
Make cheapest nether star weapon
Kill wither

Status
Not open for further replies.