Yogscast on FTB

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
The moderators are currently doing great, but don't you think that a very large influx of yogscast fans (and FTB haters) would be a bit much for four global mods?

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
True, very true. Maybe then make one of the Yogscast a Global Moderator, you brought them, you deal with them attitude :p. Simon as a moderator would be glorious, whilst also community shattering at the same time.

thezeronumber

Jul 29, 2019
The Yogscast are marmite. I enjoy some of their stuff but other things I completely avoid, such as the Jaffa-factory Tekkit series. But considering the target audience is for younger teenagers you can understand why some things are done how they are: It's an entertainment channel and their job is to appeal to said audience. So while I dislike a fair bit of their content I don't dislike them as a whole because it's a business. Unfortunately a large population of the fan-base appears to be children and that was never the intention, so wherever the Yogscast go the (often immature, loud-mouthed and heavily opinionated) children will follow. And that is where the problems come from.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
The Yogscast switching to FTB will be the final nail in the Technic coffin.
(Regardless of official statements, thats what it'll be seen as, like FTB is seen as 'Tekkit killer' and 'Better than Technic' regardless of the statements made by Slowpoke and co.)

Given the size of their audience, this'll probably result in a custom 'Yogpack' in the FTB launcher.
-Building on this, a custom Yogpack and a dedicated Yogscast sub-section on the forums would work, taking the brunt of the loudmouth immaturity associated with YC. (Which appears to be the main concern of this thread).​

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
Celestialphoenix said what I was thinking reading this thread - it would keep the current community quite intact if you had a separate forum for the yoggscast, and as much as it would inevitably delay packs I'd personally enjoy ( :p) having a dedicated pack for them for their shows would work too.

Personally I hate yoggscast, not only do I not enjoy their shows at all but I hate most of what comes with it. As others have said they are quite marmite-y, but as long as the community experience here isn't too damaged by yoggscast subscriber base I am all for them having a pack, it'd surely lead to more success for the FTB team.

nevakanezah

Jul 29, 2019
I could certainly see them switching over, the mods that FTB packages baseline add a lot of new variability that tekkit doesn't (Mystcraft being a prime example.) In addition, as a server op myself, i would completely understand the administrative reasons for switching, which can be summarized as: The worst trolls on the tekkit support boards are nothing compared to the forum moderators. A more toxic community i have yet to see.

heavy1metal

Jul 29, 2019
Usually you have two types of people who spend time on the forums. Those seeking help, and those looking for something to do. I would say a majority are seeking help, and the ones looking for something to do are then given such (helping people). I would say as it stands, <1% of the posts I come across are troll/flame orientated. Be it because the mods are quick to sweep away the trash or it is just the natural order of things, it's still very minor. Keep in mind these forums already have a very large number of tekkit/technic players, please don't segregate them. (Before this I was using mcportcentral to download/host a server, and had to either walk people through building their pack up or trying to put together a pack via vbscript. Supporting players getting crap installed or that simple vbscript was a chore.)

Dividing people up based on what they watch or pack they use will create the very division you would hate to see. Most people who walk into a clean house will try to keep it clean. (most, not all) I would personally love to see more players and those of the old mc port central team/community come here.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
Dividing people up based on what they watch or pack they use will create the very division you would hate to see. Most people who walk into a clean house will try to keep it clean. (most, not all) I would personally love to see more players and those of the old mc port central team/community come here.

Except children. The exception on your analogy is also the exception that is present here as without generalizing, a lot of the yoggscast fanbase is young. I wasn't really saying people couldn't come in here, but in the end someone who is impatient will likely go to the first place they can ask - if you point that as an FTB yoggscast forum then it's all settled. Those interested in the general FTB pack as a whole will naturally branch outside of that forum, and if they desire help they can't get they will also naturally look elsewhere on the forum for that. I think only one person (and in jest) suggested to hide the current forums from them.

TheSandwichMakr

Jul 29, 2019
I hope they don't because then all their fans will come and whine about ftb not being overpowered enough for them. Here's a perfect example I recently saw on the mcforums railcraft thread

Im sorry but I dont like it. It has the potential to be great. Making tracks takes far too long and the recipes are too expensive. 2 WHOLE BLOCKS OF IRON FOR A LAUNCH TRACK! SERIOUSLY!! WTF!!!! Elevator tracks are stupid. vertical tracks would be better.The recipes are also too complicated. Making a track is like making a plane from flan's mod! Making blast furnaces are too hard. You need to get blaze powder just to make steel for god sake! EVERY LITTLE BUMP CAUSES HIGH SPEED RAILS TO EXPLODE AND IT KILLS ME!! All i want to do is go from a high speed rail to a launch pad but i cant! IT JUST GOES BOOM! It takes half an hour to make a stack of track with one coke oven! SIMON FROM THE YOGSCAST GOT ED OF WITH THIS AND RESORTED TO CONDENSING THE TRACK INSTEAD!

The mod could be greatly improved by:
-simplifying track recipes
-making advanced tracks cheaper
-making the ovens/furnaces work faster
-and NO MORE HIGH-SPEED EXPLOSIONS!
EDIT: fixed the two separate quotes by copying it to a plain text file and back

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder if possibly a way around the Children Problem is to have a section set up for 18+, since we need to register our age when we create an account. It doesn't have to have many sections, maybe just a general discussion board and server promotion board, somewhere where adults can have a bit of breathing space away from children, I'm sure currently the moderators have boards only they can access to have breathing space away from us.

I have no idea if this would work in practise.

Reactions: Confidential1207

nevakanezah

Jul 29, 2019
I hope they don't because then all their fans will come and whine about ftb not being overpowered enough for them. Here's a perfect example I recently saw on the mcforums railcraft thread
EDIT: no idea why it splits it into 2 quotes its all supposed to be one...
It's okay, i didn't need my sides anyway.
Second quote's missing though.

@Belone: i doubt it would. I mean, steam is perfectly comfortable thinking i was born in 1905, what's to stop other aspiring decigenarians from joining in?

Addendum: in regards to balance whiners, there's really only two outcomes: either they go back to tekkit, or they stay here and learn to shut up. Certainly we'll see a consistent influx of people who don't care about whether or not the pack is balanced, but im confident that the equal and opposite reaction to all of that ought to keep it down, generally.

heavy1metal

Jul 29, 2019
Except children. The exception on your analogy is also the exception that is present here as without generalizing, a lot of the yoggscast fanbase is young. I wasn't really saying people couldn't come in here, but in the end someone who is impatient will likely go to the first place they can ask - if you point that as an FTB yoggscast forum then it's all settled. Those interested in the general FTB pack as a whole will naturally branch outside of that forum, and if they desire help they can't get they will also naturally look elsewhere on the forum for that. I think only one person (and in jest) suggested to hide the current forums from them.

Children are fine, they tend to ask a lot of questions but those on the server I play on are more earnest than the 16-20 range. The bukkit server I host with ~80-100 active players, they again are more mature than the late teens I deal with. Sure their grammar/vocabulary isn't as developed and they don't always grasp hard concepts but I'll take that over somebody trying to ruin the game for somebody else. Think about how it is outside of this virtual world, more 16+ are stealing, drinking, and pushing boundaries of life to find their limits. (Most, not all) There is a reason rental agencies (at least in the US) will not rent to somebody under 25. I think it'll be fine, maybe caring for children comes with age but I welcome the youngsters.

lol a kiddies table à la forums. Keep in mind, slowpoke wants to create a "my little pony" modpack, so the kids are coming. (not to say all admirers are kids, but most) Maybe we introduce that modpack first and get a feel for what it'll be like lol.[DOUBLEPOST=1356707224][/DOUBLEPOST]
I wonder if possibly a way around the Children Problem is to have a section set up for 18+, since we need to register our age when we create an account. It doesn't have to have many sections, maybe just a general discussion board and server promotion board, somewhere where adults can have a bit of breathing space away from children, I'm sure currently the moderators have boards only they can access to have breathing space away from us.

I have no idea if this would work in practise.

When I first setup my server, a group of us decided to only allow 14+ and put the question in the application. They would get denied, figure out the issue and re-apply. When we only got a small number of apps, this was easy to weed out by looking at their IP history. So in turn what'll happen here is they'll get wind of such a sub-section and just create a secondary account :-(

Best way is to weed out the bad eggs as they come, it's hard to be proactive in preventing them. What'll likely happen is as more players come (of all ages) the moderating staff will grow to cope with whatever is thrown their way.

nevakanezah

Jul 29, 2019
@Heavy1metal
"MLP takes too long and the recipes are too expensive. 2 WHOLE EQUESTRIUM LOVE CRYSTALS FOR A PIXIE WAND! SERIOUISLY WTF!!!!!!!!! Love-fuelled engines are stupid, they should be self-refuelling. The recipes should also only take four ingredients or less, as i think i speak for everyone when i say counting to five is hard. Making a diamondillium magi-horn is like making a tunnel bore from railcraft!"

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
@Heavy1metal
"MLP takes too long and the recipes are too expensive. 2 WHOLE EQUESTRIUM LOVE CRYSTALS FOR A PIXIE WAND! SERIOUISLY WTF!!!!!!!!! Love-fuelled engines are stupid, they should be self-refuelling. The recipes should also only take four ingredients or less, as i think i speak for everyone when i say counting to five is hard. Making a diamondillium magi-horn is like making a tunnel bore from railcraft!"

OMFG Y is u even using a Pixie Wand?!?!?!?!?!? Every1 nos only total n00bs use em!!!!

Anyway it does seem that interesting times are ahead for this little community, be it My Little Pony or Yogscast. I guess it will be nice to just know that my useless and mostly incorrect advice will be reaching a larger audience :D

heavy1metal

Jul 29, 2019
Does help to prove that it's not age restricted to the types of posts that come from people ^_^ Anyone here read world of warcraft forums? You'll get those type of posts here eventually, with or without yogcast fans. FTB is meant to make it easy and so people looking for an easy way will come. Those guys, that cry when under-geared players are getting 1-shot are the type I don't want to ever deal with.

@Heavy1metal

Codex

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I find segregation by age to be a bit to the extreme. While I am younger then most active members of the forum, that doesn't mean I am any less mature. Now yes, a large number of the members of the yogscast('s fan base too) can be quite immature, it would be a nice popularity boost to the pack if they switched over. However, as others have predicted, our moderators would fail us and we either A) Divide the forums between them B) Make Moderators/have a responsible upholding community to make sure that the forums are running smoothly. I already know that a good number of us are wonderful reassuring faces I have found on a number of threads going straight to the point and stopping arguments. If we had, say, a whole community or so of people doing this, then the forums would practically never fall into a state of disarray, no matter the stress.

So my proposal is this: as long as we have good forum users who keep the others in check, we should be fine.

(By the way we need a secret club of all the awesome people on this forum, what should we call it?)

heavy1metal

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I find segregation by age to be a bit to the extreme. While I am younger then most active members of the forum, that doesn't mean I am any less mature. Now yes, a large number of the members of the yogscast('s fan base too) can be quite immature, it would be a nice popularity boost to the pack if they switched over. However, as others have predicted, our moderators would fail us and we either A) Divide the forums between them B) Make Moderators/have a responsible upholding community to make sure that the forums are running smoothly. I already know that a good number of us are wonderful reassuring faces I have found on a number of threads going straight to the point and stopping arguments. If we had, say, a whole community or so of people doing this, then the forums would practically never fall into a state of disarray, no matter the stress.

So my proposal is this: as long as we have good forum users who keep the others in check, we should be fine.

(By the way we need a secret club of all the awesome people on this forum, what should we call it?)

The mechanical beasts? (or mythological if you're the magic type)

nevakanezah

Jul 29, 2019

Basically that's what im thinking the endgame of the yogs switching would be like on our end. As someone mentioned before: no one shits on a clean floor. or something.
A continuously positive community would probably have a much stronger influence than strict behavioral rules would.

Let's call it something that no forum troll could ever type correctly. Something like "You're theirs until it isn't yours when they're not there." They'll never figure it out.

Reactions: Zmaster27

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
Basically that's what im thinking the endgame of the yogs switching would be like on our end. As someone mentioned before: no one shits on a clean floor. or something.
A continuously positive community would probably have a much stronger influence than strict behavioral rules would.

Let's call it something that no forum troll could ever type correctly. Something like "You're theirs until it isn't yours when they're not there." They'll never figure it out.
Haha, I'm not actually sure I can figure it out. Give me half an hour... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.