Would you build this?

Would you build this?

• Total voters

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Amount of polygons hurts performance everytime, you cannot go around that. If you have programmed with fragment shaders you might know about all the data required to render that. There is a reason game developers have throughout the years aimed to make game characters look as good as possible, with as few polygons as possible. That is why techniques like bumpmaps were developed, to illustrate complex surfaces on top of a plain flat cube. Lets just say that i can't even use "far" settings on terrain rendering or game starts lagging. GPU is already pushing its limits rendering all the terrain, add to that massive mods then...

It is second part of my earlier post that goes about the CPU optimizations. I wasn't claiming this mod is badly written, i have never even tried it to know how it works. I was only noting my worry as a fellow programmer. I heard someone say before that this structure is made of hundreds if not thousands of entities. That clashed in my ear badly because it's a multiblock structure, and not just 1 but cooperation of many multiblock structures. Each of them can have a central controller block that takes care of about all the calculation related to their child blocks. When structure is formed, it can save information about it's "wholeness". If each individual component of a multiblock structure works on its own you get lag without a doubt.
Ah, I see. @Reika mind taking over here?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Just going to mention that the thousands of entities you heard about was most likely reffering to the fusion circle itself.

Honestly, you should only need one of those in an entire server, as that one reactor can suppose enough energy for 20+ large bases. (5-10 million RF/t+, with theoretically no maximum)

Although, I would imagine the large number of turbines (The image you linked), combined with the steam blocks flowing through them, as well as any shafts they're attached to would likely use a sizable chunk of the server's CPU.
As it turns out, the average fusion reactor has less than 400 entities inside it. Large, maybe, but not extreme; some mob farms exceed this, and those entities - due to their having AI - are far more intensive.

That's a good question... First 2 sentence of my post deal with this, and rest of it go about multiblock structures in general.
View attachment 10769
Do you have any guess how many polygons that is, 100000, maybe 1000000 to render just 1 spinning machine like that? We fight with FPS performance every day with FTB packs with simple things like still fluid tanks, and then mod developers come at us with these? I guess i should be offended, but i'm ok with that. Not like anyone is forcing me to use it.
Actually, no. Each turbine has about 200 or so quads.

I cannot help but notice that both of these posts follow a similar sort of pattern: Wildly exaggerating numbers. Are these numbers fetched from somewhere, or were they just made up on the spot?

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
As it turns out, the average fusion reactor has less than 400 entities inside it. Large, maybe, but not extreme; some mob farms exceed this, and those entities - due to their having AI - are far more intensive.

Actually, no. Each turbine has about 200 or so quads.

I cannot help but notice that both of these posts follow a similar sort of pattern: Wildly exaggerating numbers. Are these numbers fetched from somewhere, or were they just made up on the spot?
Did you know that 94% of statistics and numbers are made up on the spot, and have no real meaning?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Did you know that 94% of statistics and numbers are made up on the spot, and have no real meaning?
This is my totally irrelevant contribution, but it reminds me...my wife's family is a big fan of the old "needle and thread" thing to determine a baby's gender before birth. When I was asked if I believed in it, I said sure, its scientifically proven to work at least 50% of the time.

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Which is problematic when said numbers are used to justify a position.
I must admit it upsets me somewhat to see people say things like "how many polygons that is, 100000, maybe 1000000 to render just 1 spinning machine like that...I guess i should be offended, but i'm ok with that. Not like anyone is forcing me to use it." Especially when the real number is 500-5000 times smaller.

It reminds me of when politicians make up numbers to justify their position (eg "program X costs us $140 billion dollars a year! We must cancel it!").

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Which is problematic when said numbers are used to justify a position.
I must admit it upsets me somewhat to see people say things like "how many polygons that is, 100000, maybe 1000000 to render just 1 spinning machine like that...I guess i should be offended, but i'm ok with that. Not like anyone is forcing me to use it." Especially when the real number is 500-5000 times smaller.

It reminds me of when politicians make up numbers to justify their position (eg "program X costs us $140 billion dollars a year! We must cancel it!").

One of the reasons I don't develop mods is that I have no interest in dealing with the heckling. I'd just spend all my time annoyed and wondering why I bother.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
One of the reasons I don't develop mods is that I have no interest in dealing with the heckling. I'd just spend all my time annoyed and wondering why I bother.
Other modders often feel the same. One of my friends told me he used to be a mod dev (back in the 1.0.0 days) and soon got fed up with constant complaints and hate and just left.

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
What kind of shape is the new turbine generator? I tried a lot of shapes with what you already said @Reika with no luck.
Thanks for the help everyone

Zaflis

Jul 29, 2019
Especially when the real number is 500-5000 times smaller.
That is a 218 poly model: http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/9549/lowpoly.png
No offence but i think you have miscalculation there, it might look visually fancier than it actually is, kind of a optical illusion i guess :p but doesn't it look much more complex than the model in above link? If i take even quick, very very rough estimate on the faces of the model i get ~900. Count the faces of a quarter of 1 circle (~22), multiply by 4 and 10 circles for whole model. So if they're quads it'd make estimating 1600-2000 triangle model. That is 5 times more than you said. But i admit these are not very high numbers yet, alot depending on how they are implemented, and i don't need to know.

I was only hoping that developers could consider lowpoly models as config option for players who don't have graphics cards from 2014. I'm not even tacking the fusion coil thing yet, just speaking in general. The theory is the same for all graphics for all mods.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
No offence but i think you have miscalculation there, it might look visually fancier than it actually is, kind of a optical illusion i guess :p but doesn't it look much more complex than the model in above link? If i take even quick, very very rough estimate on the faces of the model i get ~900. Count the faces of a quarter of 1 circle (~22), multiply by 4 and 10 circles for whole model. So if they're quads it'd make estimating 1600-2000 triangle model. That is 5 times more than you said. But i admit these are not very high numbers yet, alot depending on how they are implemented, and i don't need to know.
Each blade is 6 quads, and the core shaft is 12.

I was only hoping that developers could consider lowpoly models as config option for players who don't have graphics cards from 2014. I'm not even tacking the fusion coil thing yet, just speaking in general. The theory is the same for all graphics for all mods.
My graphics card is $140 from 2011, and I have no issues. Trust me, there is no way to lower the poly count further without scrapping the model entirely.

MajPayne21

Jul 29, 2019
Reika, I can't find your general Reactor Craft thread, so I'm asking here.

When capturing CO2 from the gas collectors, I am using your gas ducts. Is there a container that will hold CO2?

I attempted to pipe it into a Railcraft tank, an Extra Utils drum, an AE Extra Cells fluid import bus, and an RC reservoir with glass panes on top.

None would accept input. Do I need to put a pump inline with the pipes to generate head? I am woefully ignorant of RC fluid transport. Is CO2 registered in the fluid dictionary? It didn't seem that way.

Halp!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Reika, I can't find your general Reactor Craft thread, so I'm asking here.

When capturing CO2 from the gas collectors, I am using your gas ducts. Is there a container that will hold CO2?

I attempted to pipe it into a Railcraft tank, an Extra Utils drum, an AE Extra Cells fluid import bus, and an RC reservoir with glass panes on top.

None would accept input. Do I need to put a pump inline with the pipes to generate head? I am woefully ignorant of RC fluid transport. Is CO2 registered in the fluid dictionary? It didn't seem that way.

Halp!

Silly question, which side did you try to pump into on the reservoir?

I forget the specifics, and I haven't tried storing C02 yet, but I seem to recall that the reservoir wants inputs to a specific side.

MajPayne21

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the help.

I had a gas duct connected to the top of one block and glass panes covering all other tops.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Thanks for the help.

I had a gas duct connected to the top of one block and glass panes covering all other tops.

....did that work?

I can't imagine using panes will make a difference, although that would be cool. I suspect the 'open-top' of the reservoir is visual-only.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
....did that work?

I can't imagine using panes will make a difference, although that would be cool. I suspect the 'open-top' of the reservoir is visual-only.

Glass prevents lighter than air fluids from escaping reservoirs.

Reactions: Pyure

ScorpioOld

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the help.

When you connect fluiduct, do use Servo to pump out CO2?
I am absolutely sure you can store Carbon Dioxide in Drums, Reservoir without any cover, extra cell AE and so on. You even can keep Hot Carbon dioxide gas in any of storage.

MajPayne21

Jul 29, 2019
....did that work?

Negative. Did not work. I saw the glass panes-as-lids yesterday, so no worries. I'm thinking the gas ducts are the limitation here. For some reason they are not outputting correctly. My hunch is that they are not designed to recognize cross-mod storage devices. I will try fluiducts next.

What side do reservoirs require for input? The gas duct made a visible connection but did not actually transfer any CO2 when connected to the top side.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Negative. Did not work. I saw the glass panes-as-lids yesterday, so no worries. I'm thinking the gas ducts are the limitation here. For some reason they are not outputting correctly. My hunch is that they are not designed to recognize cross-mod storage devices. I will try fluiducts next.

What side do reservoirs require for input? The gas duct made a visible connection but did not actually transfer any CO2 when connected to the top side.

Gas ducts, like all of my pressure pipes, will extract from the top and bottom and input to the sides. For obvious reasons, this causes problems with things like drums.

Reactions: Padfoote