(Potentially) The most efficient tree farm

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
I originally set out to build a cheap mfr and forestry free tree farm. What I ended up with wasn't cheap but it is magnificently fast. I originally wanted the chopping mechanism to be botania but the most recent 1.6 version is just to buggy to work with. Instead I went with the Awakened Ichorium Axe from TT Kami because

A)it has treecapitator ability

B)its unbreakable

With this in mind I began to build. This is my design.

FsqtkYy.png

I started it with 1 sapling and within 10 minutes the chest looked like this

5jnlYUD.png

I used a TT Kami awakened ichorium axe in an autonomous activator (as mentioned above)

TvZVZHL.png

A Steve’s factory manager redstone emitter set to give a strong signal was the method I used to check if the tree had grown (saplings don’t conduct strong redstone signals but logs do)

8jPXIql.png

I used the blood magic Ritual of The Green Grove to “help” with growth (this thing is insanely fast…)

CBzuWG8.png

I used an openblocks block placer to set down the saplings

y6KBuKj.png

I used a timer (this time for engineer’s toolbox) to activate it because if I had it place a sapling to quickly than it would replace the old leaves and the sapling rate would be super low

Aoj4cxg.png

QRlqJKX.png

I used a rapid item valve with thermal expansion item ducts to take the fallen logs, apples, and saplings

Rxb6qVy.png

I also have a version of this that goes at 4x the speed. I’ll have pictures of that up tomorrow ;).

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Somehow this seems... meh. I mean, don't get me wrong, but your farm relies on KAMI and that's just wrong to me.
It breaks a tree instantly, once it's grown, and that's enough for you? Why not check out the wood cutter from RotaryCraft? It does that same thing, but you can enchant it with infinity and never have to worry about not getting a sapling from that tree.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Somehow this seems... meh. I mean, don't get me wrong, but your farm relies on KAMI and that's just wrong to me.
It breaks a tree instantly, once it's grown, and that's enough for you? Why not check out the wood cutter from RotaryCraft? It does that same thing, but you can enchant it with infinity and never have to worry about not getting a sapling from that tree.
I don't have rotary craft in my pack (it's a custom pack) and it's not because it's not cool, because it is, but my computer can't handle it. I play on a 5 year old laptop. Did you see that it was a void world? That's not for looks it's because it's easier on my computer.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see an efficiency advantage over a standard 1x1 or 2x2 industrial fertilized MFR tree farm other than that you don't need a herd of cows for fertilizer. :) As long as you give the harvester enough power it will rip through trees quite quickly.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
I don't see an efficiency advantage over a standard 1x1 or 2x2 industrial fertilized MFR tree farm other than that you don't need a herd of cows for fertilizer. :) As long as you give the harvester enough power it will rip through trees quite quickly.
Mfr takes down each block individually whereas the Kami Axe takes the whole tree down instantly. That's where the speed difference is. While it's not such a big deal for the 1x farm it's crucial forthe 4x and larger designs

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Mfr takes down each block individually whereas the Kami Axe takes the whole tree down instantly. That's where the speed difference is. While it's not such a big deal for the 1x farm it's crucial forthe 4x and larger designs

Can use that axe with either type of farm, though. Pull out the harvester, replace it with an autonomous activator and the axe. If the magic is in the axe it isn't in the farm. I've been doing that with planters lately too, at least for tree farms.

I think the key advantage for MFR is "free" bonemealing so your trees grow almost instantly. You could add that bit to your farm instead of having to go that deep into blood magic. Option to shear leaves as a toggle is handy too. Oh and it is a) ridiculously cheap, and b) available the first day of play in a new world.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I don't have rotary craft in my pack (it's a custom pack) and it's not because it's not cool, because it is, but my computer can't handle it. I play on a 5 year old laptop. Did you see that it was a void world? That's not for looks it's because it's easier on my computer.
Somehow, this doesn't matter to me. See the name of this thread? And see how hard it is it get KAMI tools? That's why I mentioned RotaryCraft. Because it simply does what this setup does, but better(and a hell of a lot cheaper). Not really a issue if you have a KAMI axe legit, I guess...
But is wood any issue anymore at that point?

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Somehow, this doesn't matter to me. See the name of this thread? And see how hard it is it get KAMI tools? That's why I mentioned RotaryCraft. Because it simply does what this setup does, but better(and a hell of a lot cheaper). Not really a issue if you have a KAMI axe legit, I guess...
But is wood any issue anymore at that point?
It was more of a foray into creative tree farm designs. As in it wasn't specifically designed with a tree farm in mind

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
How would they be faster? And I would always be afraid of them suffocating...
I've never had a golem sufficate in a tree farm.. Could install three advanced golems, and give them strength and speed upgrades to get them to go faster. But there's also the possibility of planting more treese aswell. or better yet, could make it an oak tree farm that's one solid chunk of logs, then it'll chain together.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
You could do nearly the same while using slightly less Ichor by using a 1x1 planter+harvester+fertilizer+tree with old bone meal mechanics setup.

GoldenGamerUK

Jul 29, 2019
That's no fun though... It's also significantly slower
So I'm guessing you like taking the direwolf way round problems...

"Oh no a massive mountain in the way...(three episodes later)...and there is the mountain gone, now we can get past here faster!!!" But that does sound cool though..

It sounds cool that your coming up with creative and fun ideas just to do basic tasks to get basic resources, I gave up with multiple mods for automated tasks, I made a forestry tree farm instead of an mfr (if you really must know I gave up because I couldn't figure out why my farm kept idling everytime I used itemducts...) but still kudos to you man for coming up with something I wouldn't be able to even think of...

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Seems similair to a tree farm I designed a month or 2 ago, yet with completly different blocks/items, amazing :D Yours is likely faster aswell, altough I have no idea what half the blocks you used are... ^^

jcgvkn4.jpg

- Can keep 3 lamps of growth running by itself, wich in turn makes for fast growing trees and leaf decay.
- Everything gets pulled into a hungry chest by a kenetic atractor.
- A paper lamber axe with obsidian blade and full obsidian plates as modifiers serves as a "Unbreaking Treecapitator Axe".
- A 15s State Cell keeps the repeaters powered wich in turn power the Dynamism tablets. A state cell is used to cause a pulse and therefor a block update. This is needed in order to harvest Dartcrafts force trees as you cannot push or pull a redstone signal trough them without a block update.
- Saplings are placed by an autonomous activator.
- Harvesting a tree takes about ~12s .

dalekslayer96

Jul 29, 2019
Seems similair to a tree farm I designed a month or 2 ago, yet with completly different blocks/items, amazing :D Yours is likely faster aswell, altough I have no idea what half the blocks you used are... ^^

jcgvkn4.jpg

- Can keep 3 lamps of growth running by itself, wich in turn makes for fast growing trees and leaf decay.
- Everything gets pulled into a hungry chest by a kenetic atractor.
- A paper lamber axe with obsidian blade and full obsidian plates as modifiers serves as a "Unbreaking Treecapitator Axe".
- A 15s State Cell keeps the repeaters powered wich in turn power the Dynamism tablets. A state cell is used to cause a pulse and therefor a block update. This is needed in order to harvest Dartcrafts force trees as you cannot push or pull a redstone signal trough them without a block update.
- Saplings are placed by an autonomous activator.
- Harvesting a tree takes about ~12s .
Paper axe? Why not just use Thaumium?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk