How do you light up your base?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I struggle with lighting up my bases. Right now I used the OpenBlocks Guide to design the beginnings of a castle with turrets and all that good stuff... but the main floor is pretty big (20x12 or so) and there are a lot of red and yellow X'es when I press F7. I used ProjectRed's lanterns on the wall, I like the way they look in Sphax128 anyway, and then I do my usual trick of replacing floor blocks with glowstone blocks at key points.

I'd really love to have a lighting system in the ceiling, but when I realize all the wiring involved and how messy its gonna be... but also, the ceiling is five blocks above the floor and even if I do put lights up there, they don't light up a very big area.

Lighting in minecraft has always been problematic for me. I have tried to not use the wrath lamps from factorization, they do work awesome but I've heard so many bad things about them (whether true or not I don't know). What are my other options? I know the Modular Powersuits have those lux capacitor things, they do work well are are pretty unobtrusive I guess (no wiring) but at the same time it just feels like cheating to use those things. I dunno. Looking for ideas, that's all.

For outdoors, I plan to use underground rednet cable which is perfect for lampposts and stick a redstsone lamp atop the cable poking out of the ground every so often along my pathways. But for indoors it's always a struggle.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I tend to use a Sigil of the Blood Lamp from Blood Magic. That or torches everywhere because I'm too lazy to change them for something nicer.

Reactions: Not_Steve

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Glowstone lamps, glowstone as generated by laser drills

I saw a neat thing on reddit yesterday, probably still near the top of the FTB page, it combines one bucket of energized glowstone with one bucket of gelid cryotheum, where the two fluids meet, a glowstone block apparently forms but doesn't use up the fluids (like an obsidian generator with lava/water). Then a block breaker breaks it or something similar. Infinite glowstone.

For me, I always set up a MineFactory Reloaded auto-spawner, and I use Transformation Powder on a Twilight Forest Druid Skeleton to get a witch into a safari net. That gives me infinite glowstone, plus redstone, sticks, sugar, glass bottles and god knows what else. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1398041895][/DOUBLEPOST]okay I gotta post this, cause it sounds pretty wild

http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/1k1zpp/ftb_unleashed_what_do_you_do_for_light/

I can't post the text because of the formatting but check out the comments about "Nitor and gaseous glowstone". What is that????!!!!!!! Aw crap, it says Thaumic Tinkerer and I don't think that's in Monster modpack. Oh well.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
There's also a comment there about using lava in fluiducts as a base lighting solution. In one of the servers I played on recently, I built my ceiling out of OpenBlocks tanks filled with lava. The ceiling *WAS* my lava storage tank. LOL I probably should go back to that method. Lava seems to light up an area as well as any other light block. And the reddish orange glow is nice too.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I saw a neat thing on reddit yesterday, probably still near the top of the FTB page, it combines one bucket of energized glowstone with one bucket of gelid cryotheum, where the two fluids meet, a glowstone block apparently forms but doesn't use up the fluids (like an obsidian generator with lava/water). Then a block breaker breaks it or something similar. Infinite glowstone.

Just gonna leave this here...

Reactions: RealSketch

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
What minecraft really needs is an area-lighting solution. Wrath lamps were a great attempt, they are exactly what is needed, but the way the lighting is implemented causes problems (described on the wiki page).

Will we ever have a light block that can light up a huge area all by itself? Like a spotlight or something? Perhaps the game mechanics don't allow it? The fact that light levels drop for every block you recede from the light source means we'll probably never have such a thing?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
What minecraft really needs is an area-lighting solution. Wrath lamps were a great attempt, they are exactly what is needed, but the way the lighting is implemented causes problems (described on the wiki page).

Will we every have a light block that can light up a huge area all by itself? Like a spotlight or something? Perhaps the game mechanics don't allow it? The fact that light levels drop for every block you recede from the light source means we'll probably never have such a thing?

Does RotaryCraft's flood light do this? I haven't played with one in a bit and can't remember.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019

Will we ever have a light block that can light up a huge area all by itself? Like a spotlight or something? Perhaps the game mechanics don't allow it? The fact that light levels drop for every block you recede from the light source means we'll probably never have such a thing?
Arcane Lamps are what Wrath Lamps should have been

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Does Unleashed have glowstone microblocks? IIRC, you could get 16 nooks out of one block and each nook provides the same amount of light as one full block of glowstone.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Staxed

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
I have never had issues with wrath lamps, just keep them away from your farm. Arcane lamps cause the same issue so you can't just blame fc.

Reactions: Padfoote

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Poor-man's pretty:
Dig a block out of the ground, place a torch on the top of the next block down, and place a Forge Multipart cover of your choice flat on the torch.

No smoke, no ugly - just an "invisible" light source. Opinions, anybody?

This works for the early game, at least... later on, I will probably use Project Red's illumar lighting and the arcane lamp.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I have never had issues with wrath lamps, just keep them away from your farm. Arcane lamps cause the same issue so you can't just blame fc.
Yeah, except that you cannot hit wrath lamp blocks. "Glimmers of light" are not spammed, can be broken, and scanned for lux. And are nowhere near as annoying as Wrath Lamps :3

Reactions: YX33A