Buildcraft quarry (What is best way to power it???)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

marsh2907

Jul 29, 2019
I have just got to the point where I have built my 1st BC quarry but not sure which power from all different mods would best to work with it. Any ideas?

Snorsby

Jul 29, 2019
The quarry takes buildcraft power, or MJ, and I think from the latest update, they can take a wide range of power, with the higher the power in, the faster the quarry runs. If you've got the resources, I would be filling an energy cube from thermal expansion and sitting that next to the quarry to power it, so that the max input power for the quarry is reached and it runs as fast as possible

marsh2907

Jul 29, 2019
The quarry takes buildcraft power, or MJ, and I think from the latest update, they can take a wide range of power, with the higher the power in, the faster the quarry runs. If you've got the resources, I would be filling an energy cube from thermal expansion and sitting that next to the quarry to power it, so that the max input power for the quarry is reached and it runs as fast as possible

Right. Ill give that a try and see how well it works. thx

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
Depending on how many resources you have, I would suggest Magmatic Engines, Stirling Engines, or Combustion Engines

enoch

Jul 29, 2019
Although only one is needed, two Combustion Engines using Fuel can fully power a quarry (each engine produces 5 MJ/t running on Fuel). Magmatic Engines produce 4 MJ/t and are also suitable. Stirling Engines can power a quarry, but at only 1 MJ/t each, you'd need multiple to get the quarry going at a decent clip.

purplefantum

Jul 29, 2019
Well if I remember rightly, IC has a lovely block called an Energy Link that converts EU into MJ and gives an almost 100% conversion with no loss, slap a solar panel on that sucker and you have infinite free energy, you'll want a medium/hybrid level one at least anything less than 64 EU/tick is so slow. Option number 2 is a redstone energy cell, charge it up and slap it down and it'll run at full speed for along while.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
You don't remember rightly. I think perhaps that might be from the Power Converters mod if it did that. The only thing in FTB that converts EU directly to MJ are the Forestry Electrical Engines.

purplefantum

Jul 29, 2019
Ah well it was a lovely machine when I used it, made quarry's pretty much fire and forget, but the redstone energy cell is still viable, it runs like **** off a shovel.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
Although only one is needed, two Combustion Engines using Fuel can fully power a quarry (each engine produces 5 MJ/t running on Fuel). Magmatic Engines produce 4 MJ/t and are also suitable. Stirling Engines can power a quarry, but at only 1 MJ/t each, you'd need multiple to get the quarry going at a decent clip.

Thats old info, quarries now accept far more than 9MJ (ive tried like 50MJ and it FLIES!)

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
No. IC does not have a lovely block called an Energy Link. An addon called Power Converters has that, and it is not in the pack because it is considered overpowered. If you want to convert from EU to MJ, I would suggest Forestry's Electrical Engine.
One redstone energy cell can power a quarry until it is finished, I suggest having a combustion/magmatic/biofuel engine charging station for redstone energy cells, and then you just take the redstone energy cells to wherever you are running a quarry.

EDIT: Okay, you all beat me :p

purplefantum

Jul 29, 2019
Good point Python, forgot about the Electrical Engines. Would peat engines be viable, peat is pretty cheap and runs for a long time, one peat farm can supply 10 engines at full tilt.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
If you're using a 1.4.6 pack (IE mindcrack or Direwolf20) then the quarry has been given steroids and can take a max of 100 MJ/t. At 100 MJ/t it cuts about 8 blocks a second, which gives the noobs a logistical nightmare and is most likely going to bring down a lot of servers.

So many people use enderchests to transport quarry items back to "base" well unless you got some big engines pumping out the other end all that's going to happen in everything is going to spill out, lag the crap out of the server and more often than not crash it.

So unless you have a 100% foolproof system with a void pipe overflow do not run a quarry at max speed, there's so much that can go wrong and spill out crap everywhere.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
Peat Engines produce 1MJ/t on normal peat, even if each peat lasts a while. You would need a fair few peat engines running at once for that to work on a quarry.

purplefantum

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, should have specified, peat for the charging station not the quarry itself, that would be a nightmare >.< they should be able to fill a cell by the time one empties, right? If you run the full 10 that is.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
I use magmatic engines and a magma crucible until I get enough resources to make Redstone energy cells and then i use the magmatic engines to charge up the energy cells and use those.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, should have specified, peat for the charging station not the quarry itself, that would be a nightmare >.< they should be able to fill a cell by the time one empties, right? If you run the full 10 that is.
With peat at the charging station it would still take way too many engines than you'd want to produce of that type. Energy cells have a high storage capacity (600k MJ iirc) and, unless your system can put out a lot of juice, it will take a while. If your charging station will be stationary, which it should be, you should look at a 36HP boiler setup since it can produce 144 MJ/t, 44 more than the energy cell can accept, so you can use it to not only charge a cell but run other stuff to keep it hot.

warfighter67

Jul 29, 2019
I setup a pretty nice lava pump station in the Nether which produces lava fast enough to handle about 16 magmatic engines. That's 64 MJ/t for my precious quarry, however I only use 4 since the other 12 are back at base providing power there.

Too_Cheesy

Jul 29, 2019
I have just got to the point where I have built my 1st BC quarry but not sure which power from all different mods would best to work with it. Any ideas?

A quarry can now take up to 100Mj. But i would not advise this due to the fact that it would probably crash your game if your laptop/desktop is not powerfull enough.
I have a quarry up and running and it is pretty fast. What i use is two hybrid solar panels (because they only generate 64eu/t and outputs 128eu/t which is actually every second tick), i then run the power from them into a MFE, then power two electrical engines (from forestry) which are upgraded with two tin tubes and two bronze tubes on a circuit board (cannot remember the name but it takes 4 tubes). The input of the electrical engines is 50eu/t each after being upgraded and they output 14Mj/t each, which is a grand total of 28Mj/t.

I run the output of the quarry into an enderchest back to my base where it is then split by a diamond pipe. Ores in one group of chests and cobble, sand, marble, gravel etc is being turned into scrap by 3 recyclers and then feed into my mass fabricator (i re-enabled the mass fab by the way.)