AE2 Discussion

Captain_Oats

Jul 29, 2019
Kind of surprised by all the reactions here. Don't mean to offend anyone if I'm misinterpreting anyone, but from the sounds of it, a lot of people complaining about it before they've even tried it out (the RNG meteor loot that is).

Compared with Thaumcraft nodes, Iridium, Railcraft Firestone, and heck, even vanilla dungeons at times, this sounds like a breeze to find. Plus once all four are found, you're 'done' your 'painful' search.

Not to mention that the way AE is now, it's intended for late-game (or at least with hardcore configs). You'll probably find a couple just by chance before you even try to look for them.

vertagen

Jul 29, 2019
Kind of surprised by all the reactions here. Don't mean to offend anyone if I'm misinterpreting anyone, but from the sounds of it, a lot of people complaining about it before they've even tried it out (the RNG meteor loot that is).

Compared with Thaumcraft nodes, Iridium, Railcraft Firestone, and heck, even vanilla dungeons at times, this sounds like a breeze to find. Plus once all four are found, you're 'done' your 'painful' search.

Not to mention that the way AE is now, it's intended for late-game (or at least with hardcore configs). You'll probably find a couple just by chance before you even try to look for them.

The problem is multiplayer and bad luck, also the compass points into the closest meteorite chunk, no matter if looted or not. And thats the big deal.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not crazy about them either. Also, Iridium and Railcraft Firestone are not mandatory items. Thaumcraft is a corner case, in that by delving into it, you've accepted that you're going to spend a few hours running around the world with your magic magnifying glass. AE2 seems like "everyone says my mod is OP, so I'll gate it behind more worldgen and RNG, because Aliens."

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not crazy about them either. Also, Iridium and Railcraft Firestone are not mandatory items. Thaumcraft is a corner case, in that by delving into it, you've accepted that you're going to spend a few hours running around the world with your magic magnifying glass. AE2 seems like "everyone says my mod is OP, so I'll gate it behind more worldgen and RNG, because Aliens."
It could just be that with AE2, by delving into it, you have accepted that you are going to have to spend a few hours getting all of your presses together. It is as much of a "corner case" as Thaumcraft. And in Thaumcraft 3 wands never used to require constant recharging/exploration, and research didn't demand constant scanning, so there is precedent for RNG and worldgen being added to an existing mod and the other impovements to the mod are usually enough to justify the RNG and worldgen.

I would say though that I wouldn't mind a way to clone presses similar to the logic matrix programmer from FZ.

Captain_Oats

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is multiplayer and bad luck, also the compass points into the closest meteorite chunk, no matter if looted or not. And thats the big deal.

Ah I had not thought of this. Does the compass still point to the chunk if the entire meteor had been removed? I realize even if it did, removing the entire meteor would kind of be a pain.

So it's a nerf? As far as nerfs go I prefer this as it adds lore, and is better than simply mine until you find X, or fly over multiple biomes until you find Y. Also I don't think there's any denying that AE was overpowered. Even with the 5 times power demand that we had on the last server I was on, many of us had a drive with 4K storage drives within the first few mining trips. While that isn't exactly a fully automated power hungry network, it's still too tempting early game for my tastes, and takes away from other mods and the nuance that managing inventory is in minecraft.

Though I guess I agree it would be nice to have an option to disable this requirement for people that want to dive straight into AE right away.

Just because I'm lazy, how far can one get into the mod without these prints? I haven't really paid attention to the recipes so I'm not sure if the basic early game adhoc networks require them.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
It could just be that with AE2, by delving into it, you have accepted that you are going to have to spend a few hours getting all of your presses together. It is as much of a "corner case" as Thaumcraft. And in Thaumcraft 3 wands never used to require constant recharging/exploration, and research didn't demand constant scanning, so there is precedent for RNG and worldgen being added to an existing mod and the other impovements to the mod are usually enough to justify the RNG and worldgen.

I would say though that I wouldn't mind a way to clone presses similar to the logic matrix programmer from FZ.
You don't need to clone presses, they have infinite durability.[DOUBLEPOST=1397390885][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ah I had not thought of this. Does the compass still point to the chunk if the entire meteor had been removed? I realize even if it did, removing the entire meteor would kind of be a pain.

So it's a nerf? As far as nerfs go I prefer this as it adds lore, and is better than simply mine until you find X, or fly over multiple biomes until you find Y. Also I don't think there's any denying that AE was overpowered. Even with the 5 times power demand that we had on the last server I was on, many of us had a drive with 4K storage drives within the first few mining trips. While that isn't exactly a fully automated power hungry network, it's still too tempting early game for my tastes, and takes away from other mods and the nuance that managing inventory is in minecraft.

Though I guess I agree it would be nice to have an option to disable this requirement for people that want to dive straight into AE right away.

Just because I'm lazy, how far can one get into the mod without these prints? I haven't really paid attention to the recipes so I'm not sure if the basic early game adhoc networks require them.
You can literally do nothing at all without them.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019

So you've played with it then, coz Dire didn't mention that. Algo is more than capable of writing that in, however the meteor stone is also useful. A fear of mine is they'll be too common.

I wanna say, I love the added complexity that comes from channels. I also love the new alien theme and the aesetics have vastly been improved.

RNG will be annoying, but I'm sure they'll be a way around.

For me throwing Certus Quartz in water is the most offputtin thing. Maybe if you planted them in the water it'd be better.

Reactions: Bevo and Padfoote

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019

Thaumcraft nodes are NOT painful
There are chances to get multiple in the same chunk, and if you find a magic forest oyu never need to searchnagain. Generally after finding a few nodes you shouldnbe set. Andntechnically you CAN get everything unlocked without nodes thanks to how research works. Not only that, but they have MULTIPLE aspects, meaning they are more likely to have what you need. [/endrant]

Reactions: YX33A

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
So you've played with it then, coz Dire didn't mention that.
Uhm, yeah he did. Maybe not the specific "points to meteorite, even if looted" thing, but he mentioned the compass and its mechanics, and anyone that bothers to think while watching could put the rest together.

Also, the growing crystals mechanic wouldn't be so bad, if I weren't pretty much certain that it'd interact in undesirable ways with NEI's magnet mode, which I almost always have on in SSP. Now, what if we had a jar like the ones on EE3? Just put a bucket of water into the jar, insert crystal seeds, and let them work as normal, including growth accelerators. It'd also make it so it could be automated more easily.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Have to agree there. The whole crystal growth thing is so low-tech in a high-tech mod. TBH, as soon as I saw the Fluix Crystal process, my first thought was just to make a normal crafting recipe for it. There's no need for chucking it into a muddy puddle.

I think want Algo needs to appreciate from comments here is that AE2 is great, just the Meteor and Crystal growth/craft side of things just don't fit in with the rest of the mod.

I'd personally think it would be better if there was a machine to make the presses, and that the presses then have a durability. Adds an ongoing resource and power cost to the whole process, and adds a big initial resource investment to get started. Removes the whole RNG.
Instead of the dark meteor stone, perhaps a different type of stone that is crystalised stone, which only forms next to a certus crystal ore block. You can use it as a light coloured building material, or cook it into a dark version. (like nether quartz and burnt quartz from TT (I think))

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
I agree overall it is very good and interesting mods and this topic here is for community to feedback. Most changes are great and apriciated just few things need working on. Waiting for spotlight 3 now.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
"my compass only points to the closest meteorite, halp!" Walk in the opposite direction of the needle, it will change direction soon enough.

"but, other players!" So make friends with those players. if you are a new player on the server, you should offer to purchase/barter for the item you're seeking. the key word here is scarcity. they were fortunate enough to find a press that you needed, and now it's up to free market, alliance, or coercion to determine whether you get to have a big AE network or not. not everybody gets to be an astronaut irl either. :(

played with the mod last night, like, actually played with it. not just watched the spotlight. i like the changes. bring it on, Algo.

CascadingDragon

Jul 29, 2019
"my compass only points to the closest meteorite, halp!" Walk in the opposite direction of the needle, it will change direction soon enough.

"but, other players!" So make friends with those players. if you are a new player on the server, you should offer to purchase/barter for the item you're seeking. the key word here is scarcity. they were fortunate enough to find a press that you needed, and now it's up to free market, alliance, or coercion to determine whether you get to have a big AE network or not. not everybody gets to be an astronaut irl either. :(
played with the mod last night, like, actually played with it. not just watched the spotlight. i like the changes. bring it on, Algo.
This guy gets it.

Reactions: Padfoote

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
not everybody gets to be an astronaut irl either. :(
But see, it's a video game. If I don't get to be an astronaut, what's the point? Regardless, on whole, I like most of the changes, and since I mostly play SSP, the template thing is pretty much a non-issue, because I can cheat it in if I can't find it/can't be bothered to look for it. I still contend that RNG dungeon loot is a poor/lazy way to gate access to a mod, and it could easily be made interesting, but as I mentioned, 1.7 mod packs are some time away, so we'll see what we get when the time comes.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
But see, it's a video game. If I don't get to be an astronaut, what's the point? Regardless, on whole, I like most of the changes, and since I mostly play SSP, the template thing is pretty much a non-issue, because I can cheat it in if I can't find it/can't be bothered to look for it. I still contend that RNG dungeon loot is a poor/lazy way to gate access to a mod, and it could easily be made interesting, but as I mentioned, 1.7 mod packs are some time away, so we'll see what we get when the time comes.
yeah, but since you play SSP it's largely a non-issue.

for you, it's "explore more of the world and you will have your large AE/be an astronaut/breed uber bees/etc." it's something to aspire to; to work for.

edit: erf, i'm in a hurry otw to work. sorry.

Last edited:

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
I still contend that RNG dungeon loot is a poor/lazy way to gate access to a mod, and it could easily be made interesting,
If you dislike algo's solution why don't you suggest a better way to do it instead of just hating on it?

Reactions: midi_sec

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013

"but, other players!" So make friends with those players. if you are a new player on the server, you should offer to purchase/barter for the item you're seeking. the key word here is scarcity. they were fortunate enough to find a press that you needed, and now it's up to free market, alliance, or coercion to determine whether you get to have a big AE network or not.

Except because the process is still entirely random, it's possible for a certain type of press to be rarer than others, and since all four are required, it's a terrible idea to trade away you only copy of a press. Additionally, unless you dial up meteor generation to one per chunk, presses are going to be significantly more valued that anything that comes out of the ground or be created. The other option is to buy AE parts, but that makes you dependent on other players. And of course, there's always someone who's idea of a fun time is throwing irreplacible presses in lava.

not everybody gets to be an astronaut irl either. :(
It's almost as if you could build an entire industry on what people can't don't in reality. OH WAIT, VIDEO GAMES.

If you dislike algo's solution why don't you suggest a better way to do it instead of just hating on it?

Let the player take two of any press and craft them with some materials to make a press of their choice. You still have to explore, but aren't at the mercy of bad RNG. Game Design: It's not actually that hard sometimes, and yes I am judging you about it.

Reactions: Linda Hartlen

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Let the player take two of any press and craft them with some materials to make a press of their choice. You still have to explore, but aren't at the mercy of bad RNG. Game Design: It's not actually that hard sometimes, and yes I am judging you about it.
That's a very low tech solution to a very high tech mod so it doesn't fit the current design. Please try again.

Last edited: