Arendelle Castle (from the movie Frozen) Pictures

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
This looks awesome
Thank you, I am quite pleased with the way it is going so far.

In response to these encouraging posts I finally feel ready to start building the main castle. I have laid the first stones for the front entrance, but I am still experimenting with different block types. In a search for better pictures from the film (or fanart) to help guide my construction I did find this which has spurred me on even further.

tumblr_mzpsjw47RM1tpiat0o2_250.jpg

That is close to the most adorable thing I have seen all day.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I have managed to get some more work on the front of the castle done. The angles are not quite movie accurate but I think the way I am doing it here will look better for minecraft. I am willing to change it though if it turns out that it doesn't work.

The other thing I am not sure about is the glass colour. I can't decide between green tinted glass from minefactory reloaded or quartz glass from applied energistics. I also wish that chisel limestone worked with FMP. I tried adding it manually but it didn't work. Can anyone tell me if it works for them?

Anyway here is an update picture

2014-02-19_20.10.50.png

EDIT: I have built it up a bit more based on the general pattern of the last photo and I am actually quite pleased with the way its turning out. I thought I would just add another photo to this post just to document the progress

H8vtZ4m.png

I like the way that the carpenters blocks can have patterns overlayed on them by using the carpenters chisel. This allowed me to give the slopes a bit more definition so that the whole things looks better.

Last edited:

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Just changed turned my graphics settings back to normal after taking a few screenshots and this happened.

PjsL843.png

I accidently turned 3d anaglyph on. Oops, fixed now - I was a bit frightened for awhile

Reactions: kaovalin

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
So you say the limitation for the magmatics is 16 due to the number of cable colors. This isnt really true. By using the cables as binary addressing, you could setup logic to control up to 2^16 engines. You will need intermediate computers between the magmatics and the main one however to intepret the signals.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
So you say the limitation for the magmatics is 16 due to the number of cable colors. This isnt really true. By using the cables as binary addressing, you could setup logic to control up to 2^16 engines. You will need intermediate computers between the magmatics and the main one however to intepret the signals.
Yes this is strictly true but aesthetically speaking I would find that intolerable (sorry :confused:). The real limitation then is my decision to use a single stretch of rednet instead of many.

16 dynamos is pretty good anyway as you can generate 1280rf/t which will almost certainly be enough for me as I am only using it for AE and a few temporary jobs. And I don't like AE for automation most of the time so I never have large networks to power.

One thing I would really like to see is a peripheral that can have its redstone connections set and measured by a computer. I think Nuchaz (author of bibliocraft) made something like that but I don't know what came of that. It would be much easier to write a program that could handle an arbitrary amount of dynamos using a block like that than it would be with any sort of redstone cable. Actually, I want that block so much I might have to make it myself one day (if I can learn java well enough). That and micropart networking cable and modems would make all my computercraft dreams come true.

Reactions: kaovalin

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Just a quick update.

I have been adding some interior decoration to the ground floor. Where the structures look complete I am generally happy with it but I may switch around the colour schemes and various decorative features before I am ready to call it finished. But thats a long way off anyway. I have done the ballroom, and I am halfway through the foyer where I built a large spiral staircase (it doesn't go all the way up yet though). I had a bit of extra space that I couldn't decide what to do with until I decided that it would be the room where Anna and Elsa used to play and I like that idea.

Why have a ballroom with no balls?

2014-02-24_11.41.10.png

Very WIP

2014-02-24_11.41.22.png

Do the magic, do the magic

2014-02-24_11.41.40.png

I might put a snow golem in there one of these days.

This is the first load of work on it that I have managed to do since my last update which is why it is still a bit messy.

I was having a look through open computers which got added to my modpack recently and I noticed a redstone i/o block which seems to be exactly what I am looking for. I might have a look through open computers and write a version of my program which works on it and supports as many dynamos as you might want to put on it. I would need to be able to do a few things before this happened though. First I would have to check if open computers could interact with energy cells (perhaps with the open components mod). If this isn't the case I would have to find a way to make computercraft and open computers talk to each other and I highly doubt they are able to do that directly. Maybe I could set something up with sign readers/writers.

I don't think this would be worth doing without aggregating the energy storage of multiple energy cells though given the amount of power you would be able to generate from more than 16 dynamos. I was already planning on doing this anyway when I eventually get round to writing a program to control my big reactor so there is no problem there.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
It look like room with snow...ehm... dont get me wrong i love snow but WTH is that room about? :D

Anyway i see that you have "Carpenter's Blocks mod" in full power. ;)
There is a bit in the film early on where Anna and Elsa are playing in a room and Elsa is using her powers to make snow pillars that Anna jumps around in. The do the magic bit is a quote from that scene. I know that other than the snow the room is a bit bland. Hopefully I can rectify that as the castle approaches completion.

I do love carpenters blocks they are a godsend. I might actually use them more in the snow room so that I can have snow and ice without it melting in the light.

Reactions: masterzh

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Yes this is strictly true but aesthetically speaking I would find that intolerable (sorry :confused:). The real limitation then is my decision to use a single stretch of rednet instead of many.

16 dynamos is pretty good anyway as you can generate 1280rf/t which will almost certainly be enough for me as I am only using it for AE and a few temporary jobs. And I don't like AE for automation most of the time so I never have large networks to power.

One thing I would really like to see is a peripheral that can have its redstone connections set and measured by a computer. I think Nuchaz (author of bibliocraft) made something like that but I don't know what came of that. It would be much easier to write a program that could handle an arbitrary amount of dynamos using a block like that than it would be with any sort of redstone cable. Actually, I want that block so much I might have to make it myself one day (if I can learn java well enough). That and micropart networking cable and modems would make all my computercraft dreams come true.

Nothing to appoligise for. I make those same sort of decisions in my base. Sometimes a solution isnt a solution.

Reactions: casilleroatr

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Ooh, is there a link to this beatific structure? I'd like to try and live in it, and see what I can do. :D

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Ooh, is there a link to this beatific structure? I'd like to try and live in it, and see what I can do. :D
tumblr_mz65ysgIG81qj7g7io1_250.gif

I'm glad you like it, but I don't have any world downloads available. I built it on Resonant Rise which is freely available. I started it on the 2.5.6.0 stable version, but now I am in the process of ushering it through the latest experimental updates (up to 2.6.16.1) which have so far been successful. People have had lots of issues with TT Kami tools though but I have none of those. I don't know of a good place to host a world download (it would need to be free) and if I had such a place I would like to wait until the build is finished and the mod pack is stable. If I released a world download I will probably strip out all the machines so people can make their own games (I have mined a lot though so expect a few quarry/husher holes + manual mineshafts).

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
tumblr_mz65ysgIG81qj7g7io1_250.gif

I'm glad you like it, but I don't have any world downloads available. I built it on Resonant Rise which is freely available. I started it on the 2.5.6.0 stable version, but now I am in the process of ushering it through the latest experimental updates (up to 2.6.16.1) which have so far been successful. People have had lots of issues with TT Kami tools though but I have none of those. I don't know of a good place to host a world download (it would need to be free) and if I had such a place I would like to wait until the build is finished and the mod pack is stable. If I released a world download I will probably strip out all the machines so people can make their own games (I have mined a lot though so expect a few quarry/husher holes + manual mineshafts).
Oh, so it wasn't a creative project? I thought it was. Wait, so you built it in survival? That's actually more impressive. I wouldn't mind quarry holes, and would just like to explore the world. I think you can use Dropbox or Mediafire for free uploads.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, so it wasn't a creative project? I thought it was. Wait, so you built it in survival? That's actually more impressive. I wouldn't mind quarry holes, and would just like to explore the world. I think you can use Dropbox or Mediafire for free uploads.
No I didn't mean to give the impression that I built it in survival the castle was definitely built in creative. I have been doing a survival play on the same map though (I just switch creative mod off when I have had enough of building for awhile) and almost all the machines are built in survival mode. (Exceptions include a few miscellaneous blocks from computercraft, project red and tinker's constructs that control the castle gates). The general rule of thumb is, structures were built in creative, everything else is built in survival (some of the machines I am quite happy with but they are not exceptional).

If I upload this world I will leave the gate control mechanisms and glowstone illuminators and perhaps one or two other things that I built in survival (like some written books and, maybe even some fun "loot"), but I will try to remove as much evidence as possible that I was playing an actual game of modded minecraft alongside the creative build - so stuff like my ore processing and ME system will go. I'll do it that way so that if you do download it you will be able to do what you normally do in modded minecraft (you might have to go far away for mining though). Also my fps in the machine room can be pretty abysmal at times so getting rid of all the machines will probably be a good idea.

There is also a magnum torch under my base to prevent mob spawns. The base is not properly lit yet and for aesthetic reasons probably never will be. I will leave the magnum torch in place (it is hidden but I will make the location obvious)

Reactions: MoosyDoosy

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
No I didn't mean to give the impression that I built it in survival the castle was definitely built in creative. I have been doing a survival play on the same map though (I just switch creative mod off when I have had enough of building for awhile) and almost all the machines are built in survival mode. (Exceptions include a few miscellaneous blocks from computercraft, project red and tinker's constructs that control the castle gates). The general rule of thumb is, structures were built in creative, everything else is built in survival (some of the machines I am quite happy with but they are not exceptional).

If I upload this world I will leave the gate control mechanisms and glowstone illuminators and perhaps one or two other things that I built in survival (like some written books and, maybe even some fun "loot"), but I will try to remove as much evidence as possible that I was playing an actual game of modded minecraft alongside the creative build - so stuff like my ore processing and ME system will go. I'll do it that way so that if you do download it you will be able to do what you normally do in modded minecraft (you might have to go far away for mining though). Also my fps in the machine room can be pretty abysmal at times so getting rid of all the machines will probably be a good idea.

There is also a magnum torch under my base to prevent mob spawns. The base is not properly lit yet and for aesthetic reasons probably never will be. I will leave the magnum torch in place (it is hidden but I will make the location obvious)
:D

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
The mod pack I use has nearly updated to a stable version. Once the current release candidate becomes a stable release I will attempt to finish updating my world (should be trivial). A couple of things recently about the experimental branch have made me hesitant to do too much on my Arendelle world, especially as quite a few mods have been added or taken away recently. It doesn't affect me greatly but its better to be safe than sorry. Some new mods added, like Magical crops offer a lot of really nice decorative blocks that fit the colour scheme which is really good.

Even if the modpack wasn't updating I probably wouldn't be building very quickly anyway. I have been focussing on the code for a new computercraft/railcraft elevator I am working on. Its going well so far, but it is heavy going. I am coding a server program and a client program and its getting pretty involved - testing the communication between server and clients is a long process. The advantage will be though that you can easily add new floors (each floor gets a client) without editing any programs or resetting the server (in theory). It should be able to handle up to 126 floors (or at least however many channels you can have open at a time on a single modem minus 2 which are reserved channels for special purposes). You will also be able assign passwords for each floor if you want. Once a new client has been registered with the server you can also easily remove it without having to edit or restart the server. When I get it working I might look into finding a good place to put in my Arendelle world. I am thinking about putting a room for mob spawners deep under the castle so that might be a nice idea.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Yayyyy the film that inspired this build won Best Animated Feature and Best Original Song at the oscars last night.

Sorry for clogging up your alerts with this news that you may or may not care at all about, but its my thread and I'm excited so there

allster101

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, the castle looks very nice.
Does the glowstone generator work anymore? I tried it and it wasn't working for me - maybe I'm doing something wrong? I basically made a cobblegen from water and lava and substituted cryotheum for water and pyrotheum for lava.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, the castle looks very nice.
Does the glowstone generator work anymore? I tried it and it wasn't working for me - maybe I'm doing something wrong? I basically made a cobblegen from water and lava and substituted cryotheum for water and pyrotheum for lava.
I don't know if it still works or not because I haven't looked at much of the tech stuff in that base for a while, while working on buildings and other stuff. It isn't set up exactly like a cobble gen though. Soon I will check if I can reproduce it in an updated world. In the meantime, magical crops has been added to the pack I use and that is another good way of getting renewable glowstone.

In other news about the pack and this map, I have been slowly adding more to the castle and I have almost got the roof to the point where it can be finished (you know the bit where it takes about 10 hours to get a project to 80% done, and then another 10 hours for the last 20%, well I'm around 60% done). So I know updates have been much slower lately but it is still being worked on. The pack is in a bit of flux too. I don't want to talk about Resonant Rise too much on an FTB forum but there has been a bit of an issue with the Chisel mod in preparation for adding Galacticraft to the pack. This started a few days ago and while I haven't had a chance to update to the problem version on the Arendelle world yet I have heard many other users reporting problems with Chisel, and my base is full of chisel blocks so I don't want to bother with it just yet until its all smoothed out. The good folks at RR are working on it though so I don't think it will be too long until I can start work again. And if the problem is insurmountable I can always roll back.

Finally, Frozen has been released on DVD and I am getting it soon, a fresh dose of inspiration is coming my way, yay!