A couple RotaryCraft questions.

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
Cheaper resource-wise, more expensive fuel wise.

Um, unless I count the fact that I have to gear up the rad/s which costs lubricant. Argh. Still cheaper fuel wise though :p
Fuel-wise? You heat Rotarycraft steam engines with a block of netherrack set on fire. That really isn't more expensive than a lever or redstone torch.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Fuel-wise? You heat Rotarycraft steam engines with a block of netherrack set on fire. That really isn't more expensive than a lever or redstone torch.
Oopsie doodle. Getting my engines crossed. Thanks for the correction sir.[DOUBLEPOST=1394640044][/DOUBLEPOST]So the good news is that one could leverage fewer steam engines per farm block if one wanted to try a timed-burst fan output. If :p

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
That is kind of unsettling, actually, to learn that the grinder is that cheap on power, given its ore duplication abilities. That said, it is far more resource-intensive and - at that power - far slower than other methods.

I just want to note that four steam engines' output, combined using shaft junctions, runs the grinder at a pretty decent speed without needing gearboxes. (and thus lubricant)

All in all, shaft junctions can be immensely useful if you want to avoid using gearboxes. The only downside is that they can't transform speed, only torque. (Well, and depending on the setup they might cost more steel. And they will always take up more space then a gearbox.)

Also, on the subject of powering fans, might I suggest wind turbines? A single wind turbine provides enough speed to power a fan for I believe 7 blocks, and you can use shaft junctions to distribute the 4 NM of torque into 4 fans. Again, without gearboxes.

Actually, thinking about it, I wonder how many wind turbines it would take to power a grinder using junctions... 32, right?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Toronto's just around the corner, one of these days I'll go hold Reika hostage until he teaches me how to use RotaryCraft. And makes GeoStratum stone go in Forestry backpacks =P
Good luck finding me. :p
10york.jpg

I should mention that, if anyone else tries this, its Very Important to ensure you expend all your coil's charge every pass, or put in an overcharge safeguard, or else charge something else (like a TE energy cell) instead. Otherwise you'll eventually craterize your farm.
That is a cool idea. I like it. :)

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Good luck finding me. :p

It's only 13-14 million people, I'll get it right eventually.

Besides, you're a programmer and you're developing 17 different mods for free. I'll just drop 20 bucks somewhere and wait.

As soon as I have 20 bucks, anyway. I'm a writer. =P

Reactions: abculatter_2

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm surprised forestry backpacks aren't configurable by blockID.

Actually the more I think about that, the more I realize how easy it would be to make a forestry backpack contain whatever you want. Nevermind.

Slight tangent onto reactorcraft: I saw a video the other day where someone had chained a bunch of turbines sort-of-vertically to basically capture the same steam energy over and over and over again. Does anyone know if this is still possible? If I were Reika I'd be annoyed at that abuse (the "energy" data of a steam block should be reduced each time it passes through a turbine; the amount of reduction should be directly proportionate to how efficient the turbine is. IE a 99% efficient turbine should remove virtually all energy from a steam block)[DOUBLEPOST=1394645553][/DOUBLEPOST]

You can see the arrangement at the very beginning of the video. I threw my cat at the monitor in anger.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
I use more expensive way honestly - I use cooling fins and lava since I haven't been in Nether yet.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I use more expensive way honestly - I use cooling fins and lava since I haven't been in Nether yet.
Reika gives you an obsidian-generating machine and you haven't been to the nether? for shame :p :p

I actually love that machine. I even like the little hiss it makes when it creates each block.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I'm surprised forestry backpacks aren't configurable by blockID.

Actually the more I think about that, the more I realize how easy it would be to make a forestry backpack contain whatever you want. Nevermind.

Slight tangent onto reactorcraft: I saw a video the other day where someone had chained a bunch of turbines sort-of-vertically to basically capture the same steam energy over and over and over again. Does anyone know if this is still possible? If I were Reika I'd be annoyed at that abuse (the "energy" data of a steam block should be reduced each time it passes through a turbine; the amount of reduction should be directly proportionate to how efficient the turbine is. IE a 99% efficient turbine should remove virtually all energy from a steam block)[DOUBLEPOST=1394645553][/DOUBLEPOST]

You can see the arrangement at the very beginning of the video. I threw my cat at the monitor in anger.
I fixed that as soon as I watched the video, back in v14.

Reactions: Pyure

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
BTW, Reika, do you always make the machines with a use in mind? Sometimes I just think "why would I use that?"
for example - wooden gearboxes. Wood is a tiny bit harder to get than stone(at least more annoying) and stone gearboxes are better.
Or fuel enhancer. Maybe I'm wrong and it has its uses, but I believe ethanol + coal is easier to get than BC fuel.
But again, I might be wrong.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
You just hit on one of the most important reasons for ore duplication - servers where the map quickly becomes depleted of ore.
I bumped down the amount of ore in my world so getting the extractor is crucial to progress

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
Dunno if this is properly on-topic, but I did something entirely silly with DC electric engines last night.

I wanted to automate a large farm with just a few DC engines. I rigged up some projectred circuits (timer, pulser, repeater) in such a way that 4 dc engines (very slowly) built up charge in a coil, and then once very couple minutes, expended all that charge in a high-speed, decent torque blast of fans, so that I could harvest full rows (32 range) of crops.

This took me 2 hours to figure out because I'm terrible with projred circuitry. And really I could have just set up an array of way more DC engines. But...they're sort of cheaty? Challenge more or less accepted and overcome :p

This is an awesome use of the mod! Why use them? They're weaker than redstone engines? Cause he's powering a whole damn farm with em!

The magnetization stuff.. yea it's not the most "modern" or space-efficient way of producing it anymore, doesn't mean it's not useful or even uncommon.. remember Walt and Jesse cranking away on their generator? Hell, the damn planetary magnetic shield is produced by molten outer-core rotating around solid inner-core ^^

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I fixed that as soon as I watched the video, back in v14.
At the same time, you have to give them credit for that incredibly clever design.

Sometimes you just have to applaud, really.

Side note, please do not throw cats at anything, @Pyure .

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
It was the first thing I thought to do as well hehe, was gonna make The Simpsons nuclear plant and daisy-chain flip-flopped turbines 8 high in 2 giant silos. I'm bummed you can't do it anymore but it was pretty obviously not cool. Side note; if you send the power from two turbines rotating at different speeds down the same line of shafts they absolutely freak out ;D

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Please read my blank stare as deep and meaningful thought, not the total lack of comprehension it actually is. :|

:p[DOUBLEPOST=1394656934][/DOUBLEPOST]Unless its a joke about how ethnic Brampton is (since you're a local); in which case...I get it!