Best road ?

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
I cant stop posting questions...I think I may be addicted to these forums now... My apologies and gratitude while I work through this...first minecraft addiction, now this. It truly is a slippery slope my friends...anwyays...
Yeah so, Tinkers Construct adds several types of road blocks, the brownstones' tooltips tell you which of them is faster, but do the other TC roads give any sort of boosts ? Anyone know about MF Reloaded's roads ? Do they give any sort of boost ? Then there is Gravel Roads, dont remember if they're from MFR too or not, and then there's chisel's concrete/paving stuff, anyone know if they have any sort of boosting properties ? Can you think of any other road adding mods anyone ? I like the good ol' gravel paths from OpenBlocks and Crayfish' Furniture Mod. What sort of roads do you guys have ? maybe you dont have roads. And does anyone know how to get the white road lines from Chisel ? They are a must for urban areas. Now, my next thread will be comparing lighting options for your modern urban development programs. j/k, I will keep my lighting decsions battle in my head

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
There's the paving stone of travel from Thaumcraft, and that actually applies a speed boost while you're standing on it

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
I'd put the path from open blocks on the side v of your road because it screw's with zombies pathing

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
The best road? The one least traveled, of course. ;)

Well if you want to take the high road sure.

I've seen funny setups using pistons before in a zigzag pattern. You just stand in it and the pistons are coordinated to fire in sequence and push you forward in a zigzag. Completely vanilla I know, but you could add in some mod elements (computercraft, redpower, mfr rednet) if you wanted to control it better/easier.

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of times, when you take the road less traveled, you find out it was less traveled for a pretty good reason. :D

That reason is usually because some witty individual started a rumor about the road being haunted many years ago, even going so far as to dress like a banshee at 2 a.m. and scare travellers from atop the hill next to said road. Coincedently, that same man set up a tavern along the opposing road, which happen to be much longer and ran through an arid region with many rocks and thorns. Often travellers had no choice but to duck into the tavern for a cold drink and to rest their weary feet before setting off on their journey again...never knowing that the road less travelled was in fact much easier a route and many times quicker, running alongside a lush stream with many fruits and berries growing alongside. The same berries, witty man picked and sold in his tavern everyday, the same spring water he stored in his grotto, also selling to weary travellers...[DOUBLEPOST=1393392045][/DOUBLEPOST]

Sorry the spirit of a 1950s playwrite haunts me late at night sometimes ;)

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
If you have Chisel mod in your pack, you can create a special concrete (not the railcraft one here) from smelting gravel into a furnace and you can chisel it to become asphalt which give you an awesome speed boost on it...
THANK YOU that is exactly one of the things I was wondering

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Somewhere over the rainbow.
Additional notes, if you're not on a server or the server is yours, you can control the speed boost in the chisel.cfg file in the config folder, I'm not sure what would be the max safe settings to use there, but I would be careful just in case...

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Additional notes, if you're not on a server or the server is yours, you can control the speed boost in the chisel.cfg file in the config folder, I'm not sure what would be the max safe settings to use there, but I would be careful just in case...

Right around the time where the server reports "X player moved wrongly" is the sweet spot (ex See MPS).

Reactions: Padfoote

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
That reason is usually because some witty individual started a rumor about the road being haunted many years ago, even going so far as to dress like a banshee at 2 a.m. and scare travellers from atop the hill next to said road. Coincedently, that same man set up a tavern along the opposing road, which happen to be much longer and ran through an arid region with many rocks and thorns. Often travellers had no choice but to duck into the tavern for a cold drink and to rest their weary feet before setting off on their journey again...never knowing that the road less travelled was in fact much easier a route and many times quicker, running alongside a lush stream with many fruits and berries growing alongside. The same berries, witty man picked and sold in his tavern everyday, the same spring water he stored in his grotto, also selling to weary travellers...[DOUBLEPOST=1393392045][/DOUBLEPOST]

I like it !

Reactions: Sigma85

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Well if you want to take the high road sure.

I've seen funny setups using pistons before in a zigzag pattern. You just stand in it and the pistons are coordinated to fire in sequence and push you forward in a zigzag. Completely vanilla I know, but you could add in some mod elements (computercraft, redpower, mfr rednet) if you wanted to control it better/easier.
oh gods, make the puns stop.

And on the piston roads, I built one ages ago, built a piston elevator too. Shortly before I ripped the sound card out of my machine and took it to the local church to bathe in holy water.
It's loud is the point I am trying to make here. Very loud. Line the entire thing with sound mufflers loud.

And the smart man just puts a toll booth staffed by large, unimaginative men with clubs on both roads and calls it a day. That's some Scooby Doo villain stuff you've got going on there...Actually it makes a lot more sense than most of the Scooby Doo plots and is much better written.

Reactions: Sigma85

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
Why make roads? Got Open Blocks? Got Thaumcraft or Ars Magica 2? Make a station at each place you wanna be at with Arcane Levitators ( or the AM2 equiv) stacked on top of each other. Ride to the top face the way you wanna go and pull out your nifty Hang Glider. You now have Skyways instead of Highways!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk