Would you build this?

Would you build this?

• Total voters

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
When will it be *in Monster* is the better question. It might be in RoC right now. I won't know till Monster updates :p

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
Reika - realism is today while science fiction is tomorrow. Remember things we can only dream of today may exist a year from now.

Also if this reactor could power a city maybe you could make some realistic power grid with substations and relay stations and what not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

vernes

Jul 29, 2019
Reika - realism is today while science fiction is tomorrow. Remember things we can only dream of today may exist a year from now.
Also if this reactor could power a city maybe you could make some realistic power grid with substations and relay stations and what not.
Powerlines!
As in, in vanilla people already use tripwire to mimic powerlines.
Why not give them REAL powerlines?

And if you occupy the space between two lines, FRZZZBANG!
Or when a tree that reaches to the ground touches it, it makes a sissing sound until the tree catches fires.
And have an option to hear a faint humming sound if you are near it?

But yeah, powerlines for sure.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Reika - realism is today while science fiction is tomorrow. Remember things we can only dream of today may exist a year from now
That is a world apart from the either magical or extreme-far-future ideas which people have suggested.

Powerlines!
As in, in vanilla people already use tripwire to mimic powerlines.
Why not give them REAL powerlines?

And if you occupy the space between two lines, FRZZZBANG!
Or when a tree that reaches to the ground touches it, it makes a sissing sound until the tree catches fires.
And have an option to hear a faint humming sound if you are near it?

But yeah, powerlines for sure.
RotaryCraft has no electricity - the reactor produces shaft power.

with the over 50% being yes.. you when you think this well be in?
When the rest of my mods are ready.

JoeDolca

Jul 29, 2019
How about a laser so big and powerful that it can make a tunnel hundreds of chunks long and as wide as you think? It'd stray from realism into science fiction, though...

With enough bedrock shafts this'd be enough to power an entire server.

Edit: Or maybe... just maybe... a fan so huge and sharp it can grind anything it touches in a 50x50 area, making for epic sized mob farms. Or an even bigger extractor with each individual part large enough to have a full blown animation, it can even be multiblock and increase yield to x10.

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
How about a laser so big and powerful that it can make a tunnel hundreds of chunks long and as wide as you think? It'd stray from realism into science fiction, though...

Edit: Or maybe... just maybe... a fan so huge and sharp it can grind anything it touches in a 50x50 area, making for epic sized mob farms.
These both have realism issues. That said, things like chunk miners have occurred to me.

Or an even bigger extractor with each individual part large enough to have a full blown animation, it can even be multiblock and increase yield to x10.
People already complain about 5x.

MajPayne21

Jul 29, 2019
Realism?

Reactors in real life produce heat to produce steam, which then turns a turbine to produce shaft power. Reactors only produce electricity when the shaft power is connected to a generator, which rotates a large magnet inside coils to induce a current.

Rotary craft contains no electrical generating components, so it would be more like a nuclear sub or ship, where the reactor produces shaft power to turn propellers directly.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Realism?
Tell me, do you see any wires hooked up to this?
And yes, that is (or was) an actual turbine from a nuclear power plant.
Dampfturbine-Steam-Turbine-From-Nuclear-Power-Plant.jpg

Reactors do not magically convert heat (or even sillier, neutrons) into electricity.

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
Reactors in real life produce heat to produce steam, which then turns a turbine to produce shaft power. Reactors only produce electricity when the shaft power is connected to a generator, which rotates a large magnet inside coils to induce a current.

Rotary craft contains no electrical generating components, so it would be more like a nuclear sub or ship, where the reactor produces shaft power to turn propellers directly.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

So you make a generator that hooks up to the reactor that produces power then you ship that power out through a grid that then uses that power to run either a motor to get back into shaft power or just power your toaster. If you want realism how real are you gonna get?

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
So you make a generator that hooks up to the reactor that produces power then you ship that power out through a grid that then uses that power to run either a motor to get back into shaft power or just power your toaster. If you want realism how real are you gonna get?

Lol, why are you even starting this debate? The game is Minecraft. Obviously things aren't going to be perfectly realistic. Reika is just trying to make a mod that is as realistic as possible.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Lol, why are you even starting this debate? The game is Minecraft. Obviously things aren't going to be perfectly realistic. Reika is just trying to make a mod that is as realistic as possible.
Not to mention that asking me to move to electricity is asking me to trash the core of the mod. Go play UE or something if you want magic power plants. (No insult intended to UE).

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
Not to mention that asking me to move to electricity is asking me to trash the core of the mod. Go play UE or something if you want magic power plants. (No insult intended to UE).

Not asking for you to "trash the core of the mod". I am asking for a way to move that shaft power 300 blocks without having to make 300 diamond shafts. And the easiest way to do that would be a power grid. Make it so that it only plugs back into rotorcraft motors and can't power anything else. Heck even put substations and relay stations in that use shafts to split and redirect the power into subnets.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Not asking for you to "trash the core of the mod". I am asking for a way to move that shaft power 300 blocks without having to make 300 diamond shafts. And the easiest way to do that would be a power grid. Make it so that it only plugs back into rotorcraft motors and can't power anything else. Heck even put substations and relay stations in that use shafts to split and redirect the power into subnets.
That would be both more laggy and less user-friendly than the shafts, and it does not fit at all into a non-electrical mod.

JoeDolca

Jul 29, 2019
I am quite sure you can use the transformers to turn shaft power into RF, EU or MJ. I remember seeing such blocks in monster, rotary dynamo, rotary engine, etc... But I don't think any cable in these mods can handle the power. Maybe you could just use it to power your bedrockbreaker so you can get a surplus of bedrock shafts to get this power to every single machine you want from any mod have you.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
V16 is now ready, including the fusion reactors!
https://sites.google.com/site/reikasminecraft/home

Oh gods.

As far as the Electrical debate goes, it would be better suited to another mod than rotarycraft that would institute the DragonAPI to turn shaft power into electrical energy or generate chemical electric, thermal electric or photo electric. I've actually thought about how realistic of electricity one could actually get in MC but the multithreading that would be needed are beyond my scope of java atm.
Even the scope of doing a full AC electric network as simple as a city power grid with all the machines running on it could bring a server to its knees with even the basic electrical formulas to get it close to realistic as possible.
Idk, maybe I'll look at it again, but I still don't think my java skills could pull it off.