Magic Farm 2 venting and advice thread

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I take it that a TiCo smeltery is needed to make tools from copper?

I've started and rage quit 2 worlds so far. Once I under estimated the time it would take to go somewhere and ended up our at night in my first couple days. The second, I died from hunger 2 blocks away from a berry bush. This world I am doing a bit better. I have about 2 full stacks of juice and several trees growing starting to bear fruit. I can't plant yet, but am farming.. :) I also found about a dozen Natura berry bushes, but they haven't started yielding much yet, and I really need to get a third kind of berry to really make them shine.

CascadingDragon

Jul 29, 2019
Just a thought, but Forestry is REALLY high tech. You are analyzing the genome of bees and selectively breeding them to get super bees. That is difficult for real life scientists. Comparatively, automated cow breeding and slaughter is relatively simple. Food for thought.
Just another thought, punching down a tree is difficult for real life humans. =P

On topic:
I tried 3 attempts to play through Magic Farm... since all my SSP worlds are set to hardcore, well.... Needless to say, I didn't get far.

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
So is the getting a mob head the only way to get from copper to iron without finding something in a dungeon?

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
So is the getting a mob head the only way to get from copper to iron without finding something in a dungeon?

Supposedly, you can level up your pick by using it a lot and thereby get enough of a boost to dig iron without using a mob head. The graves you see around are also a good source. If you dig the dirt block the grave is on, you will get random loot. mostly bones and rotten flesh, but I have found iron (6) and 3 pieces of redstone. I have maybe dug up 6-7 graves, but might just have been really lucky with the drops.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019

Level your tool through use. Each tool can have its mining level boosted to the next level by leveling the tool through use.

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
Supposedly, you can level up your pick by using it a lot and thereby get enough of a boost to dig iron without using a mob head. The graves you see around are also a good source. If you dig the dirt block the grave is on, you will get random loot. mostly bones and rotten flesh, but I have found iron (6) and 3 pieces of redstone. I have maybe dug up 6-7 graves, but might just have been really lucky with the drops.

Wow I wish I could be lucky. Most of the gravestones I've dug up have had nothing at all. Only a few have had bones and flesh. I am so unlucky that I found a vanilla desert temple with the tnt trap already set off so there was no chest.

Reactions: netmc

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Just a thought, but Forestry is REALLY high tech. You are analyzing the genome of bees and selectively breeding them to get super bees. That is difficult for real life scientists. Comparatively, automated cow breeding and slaughter is relatively simple. Food for thought.

It's the "industrial" part of MFR that doesn't fit well in my world, not the high-tech or complicated stuff.

cannajan

Jul 29, 2019
I take it that a TiCo smeltery is needed to make tools from copper?

I've started and rage quit 2 worlds so far. Once I under estimated the time it would take to go somewhere and ended up our at night in my first couple days. The second, I died from hunger 2 blocks away from a berry bush. This world I am doing a bit better. I have about 2 full stacks of juice and several trees growing starting to bear fruit. I can't plant yet, but am farming.. :) I also found about a dozen Natura berry bushes, but they haven't started yielding much yet, and I really need to get a third kind of berry to really make them shine.
Remember zombie flesh can be dried or crafted with salt to make jerky - handy in early stages like this, not sure if the growthcraft fishing nets are back,? they are easy, just put them down into water and come back later! the flat mareculture ones dont store fish.

I really like the exp leveling in TiC, it doesnt take too long and adds great boosts to all my items, hardly need to add modifiers these days!

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Taken me forever, but I have just now got everything under control and can start advancing finally. Wasn't able to lock down my village, but I was able to lock up 2 common villagers in a closet, but lost alot of good villagers (about one of every type :?) Was able to make my 3x3 chunk compound base. Have a strong vanilla tree and potato farm with berrys if needed. Got storage under control and my smeltery. Can finally mine tin. Gonna make an extruder. With that I hope to make a pick head of alumite to mine diamonds. And then maybe I can start going into the low y's. Before that now that I have food time and protection, I wanna try and figure out all these *-culture mods. I still don't have a clue on making food. Topside protection is becoming huge. I was getting trucked by every magic mob in the game especially the damned kid zombies with all these special powers that spawn camped me(which are harder and stronger than adults for some dumb reason). Did get a new diamond helm prot2 and fire prot 1 for sniping one of the adult ones which is cool.

Last edited:

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Berries, potatoes(Anything that makes both stock and flour), and soy beans are amazing. Make a sprinkler, or 50.

I disagree with most here though. I love silverfish. I've never had a problem handling them with ease. Bane of arthropods is the key though.

Reactions: Not_Steve

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
Berries, potatoes(Anything that makes both stock and flour), and soy beans are amazing. Make a sprinkler, or 50.

I disagree with most here though. I love silverfish. I've never had a problem handling them with ease. Bane of arthropods is the key though.
Alumite Scythe. 1 hit kills the entire swarm

Soy beans are a must. You can make most of the foods with it as it replaces meat and when you process it with the presser, you get double both soy milk and silken soy. If you have soy bean, tomato, lettuce, wheat, potato and berry farms, as well as a decent supply of salt and snowballs you can easily make Delighted Meals, which are the best food in the pack at the moment. To maximize your Wheat efficiency, grind it into flour with the AE grinder as that is the best way to get bread.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Alumite Scythe. 1 hit kills the entire swarm

Soy beans are a must. You can make most of the foods with it as it replaces meat and when you process it with the presser, you get double both soy milk and silken soy. If you have soy bean, tomato, lettuce, wheat, potato and berry farms, as well as a decent supply of salt and snowballs you can easily make Delighted Meals, which are the best food in the pack at the moment. To maximize your Wheat efficiency, grind it into flour with the AE grinder as that is the best way to get bread.

Flint dagger with 2 bane's. 1-2 shots most silverfish. Easiest armor stuffs I've ever gotten.

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
So since I'm in the copper stage and have no armor, would I be better off strip mining or spelunking?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
So since I'm in the copper stage and have no armor, would I be better off strip mining or spelunking?

I wouldn't say one is terribly riskier than the other but for earlier stages spelunking is for more valuable.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Hmmm to get stuff, spulunk. To jump to iron skill, srip mine above 45 to get stuff and increase your skill. See if you have any zombie head to jump to iron and make armor. Whatever you do, prevent any interaction with bad mobs as much as possible.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I just built my 3rd 9x9 farm. It isn't fully populated yet. I am using whatever grows and turning it back into seeds and filling the farms. I still don't have all the various plants. so far, the best meal i could put together was fish and chips as i specifically went looking for a village to raid, and found one with two huts and two farms, with only wheat and potatoes. .:(

P.s. I built a bunch of cookware from 6 pieces of iron i found as a graveyard drop.

Has anyone tried the hardened leather from Pam's? Is it decent?