Ender Trap the super basic I need ender pearls but just started my world mob system

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Does building over an ocean matter? You will still spawn mobs under the ground beneath the water and spawn squids, correct?

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
You'll not need to build as high if building over an ocean. You'll still need to build it 128 blocks but over the ocean, you will reach lower y-axis, compared to building on solid land. Since you will need to take the surrounding area into consideration, so let's say the highest point of the area you want to build around is at the top of a mountain at y=89, you will then need to add 128 to the height for y=217 so mobs will not spawn (or rather, despawn instantly) in the 128 radius around your avatar, thus lessening the chance of mobs spawning and staying around but out of your darkroom, taking up the allowed entities count.
Am I right?

Reactions: Saice

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
I think you still need to build over 128 blocks above the water, as squid apparently count towards the total mob spawn rate.

It seems the only way to not have to build 128 blocks up would be to quarry out a 256 square area and then fill it with cobble completely using a filler. Then if you lit up the whole area outside your spawn building, you could have a grinder at y64. Building one at level 200 seems annoying to me.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Does building over an ocean matter? You will still spawn mobs under the ground beneath the water and spawn squids, correct?

Thanks for the reply, I guess I know why all my attempts of making a darkroom failed then. Not high enough.
P.s. Not building over an ocean.

The ocean part is optional. It just makes it easyer as its prefectly flat and nothing can spawn on top of it. (though squids can spawn in it) so it makes figuring out height a little easyer... and you cant fall to your death while building which is a plus.

If you want to imporve a ground based darkroom you have to light up caves around your darkroom for 128 blocks which is a lot of work and one of the reasons I just do it in the sky. Back in the day it was not possable becuase the sky capped at 128 so you had to do the cave thing which took forever to find and light them all up.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I think you still need to build over 128 blocks above the water, as squid apparently count towards the total mob spawn rate.

It seems the only way to not have to build 128 blocks up would be to quarry out a 256 square area and then fill it with cobble completely using a filler. Then if you lit up the whole area outside your spawn building, you could have a grinder at y64. Building one at level 200 seems annoying to me.
I should try quarrying out the 256 area you've spoke of. Seems like building at y=200 isn't working well enough for me. =/

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I should try quarrying out the 256 area you've spoke of. Seems like building at y=200 isn't working well enough for me. =/

How is it not working? Hold Shift and place blocks. There should be no real danger other then falling if you light the place up while you work.

It will take fair longer to quarry out that huge space the whole kind of point for this is you can do it with in a few hours of starting a new world.

If your going to just dig up the world like that might just might be better to look into Soulshards or MFR autospawner as a solution for you both should take far lest time then clearing out 256 chunks of blocks. 256 block length would be 16 chunks. 16x16 chunk area is 256 chunks in total or 65,536 blocks per layer with your original statement of starting around 80 would mean you going to quarry up about 5,242,880 blocks just to build a basic darkroom.

But hey if that is what you want to do more power to you.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I meant, I had the darkroom built. At y=200, a good 130 blocks off the highest point of the terrain I am building on but not much mobs are spawning. I get some occasional spawns but no enderman at all. And come to think of it now, are there any biomes (vanilla or BoP) that restricts what mobs can spawncin them? I know mushroom biomes disables mob spawning entirely.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Only one I know that resrtict are Mushroom.

Relize you have a 24block buble around you that nothing can spawn. And if your on a server spawn cap is shared by all players.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Ssp and yeah, know about the 24 block restriction. I made the room 30 blocks away from the access point/kill room.[DOUBLEPOST=1375152853][/DOUBLEPOST]I should try this on a creative world using the same seed and same pocation.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
If you for Thaumcraft there can be an issue where wisps spawn but do not despawn taking up slots for other mobs.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Wisps doesn't despawn? Great. Guess time to visit the end, grab some endstone and make myself some soul shard then.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Wisps doesn't despawn? Great. Guess time to visit the end, grab some endstone and make myself some soul shard then.

Well they are supposed to. But sometimes they collect and bug out.

I've seen issues where a node will collect wisps and for whatever reason they just don't despawn even when you go chunks away.

Reactions: PierceSG

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Well they are supposed to. But sometimes they collect and bug out.

I've seen issues where a node will collect wisps and for whatever reason they just don't despawn even when you go chunks away.

Thanks for the help. But since we're playing a modpack afterall, gonna go get mfr net and catch me some enderman then.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Ssp and yeah, know about the 24 block restriction. I made the room 30 blocks away from the access point/kill room.[DOUBLEPOST=1375152853][/DOUBLEPOST]I should try this on a creative world using the same seed and same pocation.

I swear my 1.6.4 world has an insanely low Enderman spawn rate. Will use a conversion mod with a high conversion cost if I can't figure out how to get Enderman spawn rate up.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
if you have dartcraft running, you should see quite a few ender 'tots' (baby enders). if you set up a darkroom, they will come in and when they die, they spawn an additional 1 or 2 adult enders (mom/dad revenge ;) ). I see this all day with my cursed earth spawners.

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
if you have dartcraft running, you should see quite a few ender 'tots' (baby enders). if you set up a darkroom, they will come in and when they die, they spawn an additional 1 or 2 adult enders (mom/dad revenge ;) ). I see this all day with my cursed earth spawners.

Do those tods spawn in a 2 high room and, if they do, are the 2 endermen 'parents' stuck in the ceiling?

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
Do those tods spawn in a 2 high room and, if they do, are the 2 endermen 'parents' stuck in the ceiling?

yep. there are times the tots grow into adults, where they will suffocate in a 2 high room. but outright killing a tot, will spawn an adult (or 2) and right where the tot died. as a bonus: if you use iron spikes, they wont tp away, even in water.

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
There are cobble stone slabs around the water. Slabs so that no monster can spawn there

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Dumb question, how do you get the water to stay in place on the roof like that?

There are cobble stone slabs around the water. Slabs so that no monster can spawn there

What Wekmor said. I used slabs for just those reasons. I use slabs on the edge to stop spawning but water on the rest so that if an enderman pops up there they will pop right off of there.