Ender Trap the super basic I need ender pearls but just started my world mob system

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
While this probably wouldn't be able to be done within an hour or two of spawning in, it is a refinement which has merit.

And actually, this gives me an idea for bringing back a classic build back to the forefront: the darkroom mob grinder.

In effect, you build a large room with no lights. In vanilla, you had water in a two-block deep hole to shuttle mobs around (this was before endermen) that would eventually deposit them in either a drop trap or a lava blade. You the player would just stand at the output of that water stream and collect things while afk.

For the advanced version, we need MFR. Same room layout, only you use conveyor belts instead of water. This means no clumsy drops, everything can be on the same level, and it works with endermen as well. It runs mobs into one or more Grinder(s) with output going to AE. Now you have all the mob drops.

I remember Coestar's darkroom builds back in the day. Good times...

I still think that the Portal Gun mod needs to implement the Excursion Funnels from Portal 2, though. Same deal, but WAY cooler. :p

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Dark rooms are still a great mob system. Rarely do peple need just one mob for there mob system and while it is fun to build multi shard mob systems with controls many times a old school dark room gets the job done and I still use them often in early builds for stuff.

But you can take dark rooms to the next level.

As pointed out grinders and convayors are a good upgrade to dark rooms. But also if you get a sigil cursed earth can make a vary compact darkroom just about any where. If you have seen Kirin Dave's recent RR LP he does just that builds a 5x5 cursed earth dark room with a grinder.

Most of the time I see people wanting mob systems to get 'all the things' and they go get shards for every mob. In those cases the shards really only help if your trying to get insanely large volume of drops and a dark room would take less time to build. And nothing says you could not add shards to its mob system later for blazes, endermen, or pigmen depending on what you need.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Dark rooms are still a great mob system. Rarely do peple need just one mob for there mob system and while it is fun to build multi shard mob systems with controls many times a old school dark room gets the job done and I still use them often in early builds for stuff.

But you can take dark rooms to the next level.

As pointed out grinders and convayors are a good upgrade to dark rooms. But also if you get a sigil cursed earth can make a vary compact darkroom just about any where. If you have seen Kirin Dave's recent RR LP he does just that builds a 5x5 cursed earth dark room with a grinder.
Cursed Earth would be a good addition to a classic darkroom mob grinder system, although obtaining it is non-trivial. The sigil activation is... troublesome... and you need a silk touch shovel to get the cursed earth. Still, well worth it in terms of output multiplication of your mob grinder.

Most of the time I see people wanting mob systems to get 'all the things' and they go get shards for every mob. In those cases the shards really only help if your trying to get insanely large volume of drops and a dark room would take less time to build. And nothing says you could not add shards to its mob system later for blazes, endermen, or pigmen depending on what you need.
And with the changes to the soul shards mod, this is no longer reliable. Using a pokeball and mob spawner would be a far better system, with a constant consumption of mob essence required, so it will need additional infrastructure to support the steady cost to operate.

I'll have to do that one of these days... cursed earth darkroom mob grinder. See how it works out for me. Can Grinders actually kill Endermen, or do they teleport away?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Fly/walk around in a 500 block radius from your base. When this happens to me, I will end up finding a deposit of many wisps (i.e. 50+) that did not despawn.

Well, I think that was my problem. Went creative, flew around, went to the Alps (fair distance from any builds), suddenly, 190 wisps appear.
Tried the /kill command, which killed me (doesn't matter :p), flew back to my stuff, only 30 wisps around, so rest must have been despawned by server. Hopefully that will have helped things a bit.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I'll have to do that one of these days... cursed earth darkroom mob grinder. See how it works out for me. Can Grinders actually kill Endermen, or do they teleport away?

Yes grinders kind of don't actually damage the mob so much as just kill them. And the more recent MFR basicly deletes them in a way to keep them for procing extra drops like spoil bags. I've not used the grinders all that much personally as I tend to avoid to much automation when I can and like to build things a bit more involved then I do. Just my playstyle realy. But I've not heard reports of issues with endermen and in fact I know at least one guy using ender tots to make a postive essence loop with MFR.

Endermen don't TP when hurt just so you know. They only TP when wet (lava counts as wet) or attacked by a player. That is way stuff like quicksand or thorn bushes work on them.[DOUBLEPOST=1374441028][/DOUBLEPOST]
And with the changes to the soul shards mod, this is no longer reliable. Using a pokeball and mob spawner would be a far better system, with a constant consumption of mob essence required, so it will need additional infrastructure to support the steady cost to operate.

And you know what we be an good way to feed that steady need for essence? I dark room of random mobs.

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I think that was my problem. Went creative, flew around, went to the Alps (fair distance from any builds), suddenly, 190 wisps appear.
Tried the /kill command, which killed me (doesn't matter :p), flew back to my stuff, only 30 wisps around, so rest must have been despawned by server. Hopefully that will have helped things a bit.

Bingo! Glad my suggestion helped. Not sure why it happens, but definitely does for me every few days.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Bingo! Glad my suggestion helped. Not sure why it happens, but definitely does for me every few days.

Well, it hasn't actually helped :D Still no hostile mobs spawning. The investigation continues.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it hasn't actually helped :D Still no hostile mobs spawning. The investigation continues.

My friends and i had this happen three times. the first time it was due to Dimensional Doors mod. Latest version has fixed the bug, but if you have an older version of this and someone went to limbo, it can stop hostile mobs from spawning.

The other two times... we never figured it out. I have read after a lot of google searching that it could be a vanilla bug, not due to a mod, with 1.4.5 (7?). The theory is that mobs can spawn right on the edge of the 128 block limit, and kind of get stuck. One video I saw said a guy made a mob grinder by putting torches over every area around his grinder, 128 blocks in every direction AND in caves (wow?) and his grinder started to slow down over time. He then went 20 blocks further with torches, beyond where mobs should be able to spawn... and his grinder returned to normal speed.

One solution I read about was a server side mod that would increase the mob count. The guy turned the mob count up to 200 or something like that, and then mobs reappeared. Not really a fix, but if the band-aid works....

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
TBH, I'm not too concerned about it now, as I will shortly be starting a new 1.5.2 server with custom mod pack, so will abandon that old world.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
They only TP when wet (lava counts as wet) or attacked by a player.

This isn't strictly speaking true. If you attack their legs, they will not teleport away, it is only when you attack the head/body that they teleport.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
This isn't strictly speaking true. If you attack their legs, they will not teleport away, it is only when you attack the head/body that they teleport.

Yeah yeah yeah. The point was that they do not TP when damaged only when that damage is from water/lava or a player. Ok so I did not say only a player attacking them on the upper 2/3rds of there hit box or with a bow.

Happy now?

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
If you don't want to go down the ladder to make the mobs despawn then just use wireless redstone and a pistion(couple of them) to release water and drop the mobs off the edge! Close the piston and everything has been refreshed.

Reactions: PierceSG and Saice

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
if youve gotten rid of the dragon, you can do this far easier in the end.
move away from the main island, built the pad, a shelter, and look at all the endermen.

but yea, this would be a decent starting setup.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
If you're in the end, a floating 3x3 cobble roof 2 blocks off the floor is a decent Endermen trap. Just stare at them and hit them in relative safety (be careful of endertots though)

Reactions: Saice

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
if youve gotten rid of the dragon, you can do this far easier in the end.
move away from the main island, built the pad, a shelter, and look at all the endermen.

but yea, this would be a decent starting setup.

Yeah this whole mess is just as the title suggests something you can do right out the gate after starting a world. No End access or anything like that. There are many ways to do this better.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Am I right to assume the 128 height required means 128 blocks off the highest point around where you want to establish the dark room? So if say, the highest point around my place is at 80, I'll need to add 128 to the 80 and build it at y=208?

Reactions: Freakscar

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Am I right to assume the 128 height required means 128 blocks off the highest point around where you want to establish the dark room? So if say, the highest point around my place is at 80, I'll need to add 128 to the 80 and build it at y=208?

Correct this is because nothing can spawn naturally outside of 128 from a player. So if there is nothing but air there is no where but the pad to spawn on.

Reactions: PierceSG

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
Since some people have an obvious lack in reading comprehension, here's a quick fix for an often overlooked detail (this goes to all those that start their comments with "If you go to the end..." as their first sentence)
saice said:
[...] how I can get stacks of ender pearls without going to the end I figured I'd share this. [...]
saice said:
[...] without going to the end [...]
Sorry, can't make it more obvious. ;)

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the reply, I guess I know why all my attempts of making a darkroom failed then. Not high enough.
P.s. Not building over an ocean.