How would you change IC2

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Actually, I think there's some points here...

If you require an anvil to put the ingots on to hammer into plates, and same thing with the wire cutters, then it isn't a crafting recipe anymore. Simply don't make the block iSided and suddenly it's almost impossible to automate (well... outside of Turtles, but let's not go there, that's a whole 'nother rant-o-rama).

This means you no longer need such an insanely low durability on the tools, because they are no longer used in crafting recipes. Which eliminates my only real concern about that mechanic, AND makes it more interesting to interact with.

Reactions: SkyBoy96

EnzymeA113

Jul 29, 2019
Quite. You could just cut out the middle man and make it so that you don't need an anvil at all, just make ingots placeable in the world.

The problem I have always had with IC2 is that it abuses the crafting table and GUIs. Compare it to a mod like Better than Wolves or Electrodynamics, where GUI use is minimal, and a lot of machine recipes require physical placing of objects in the world, and I think you'll find that IC2 feels dull in comparison. Minecraft's about building things with blocks after all, not just sitting at a wooden desk all day gluing stuff together to make more stuff to make more stuff to make more stuff to make more stuff to make more stuff to make more stuff to make more stuff to make more stuff to make more stuff to make more stuff to make a machine that makes one part so that you can cut out one iteration of making more stuff.

Reactions: Padfoote

MagusUnion

Jul 29, 2019
my main pet peeve with ic2 is the exploding machines

That mechanic is disabled for a reason. Stop referencing it...

The goal of IC2 add-ons was to allow the user-base to add to the mod itself, rather than have the IC2 dev team do all the designing work. IC2, in essence, is a framework at this point for other add-on's to work off of. That's why the content is fairly limited and straight-forward: because other optional additions could be added to it and be fully compatible to the base of IC2 via the API, and not accidentally obsolete other member's contribution's in result. There is no way to constantly plan and implement every form of content that users desire. Instead, the API system was kept up-to-date and encouraged to be used so that users could better facilitate their needs, rather than depend on base IC2 for content.

Sadly, only a few add-on's were champion'ed for this process. And personally, it's more of a community failure for not taking up the task of creatively learning Java and coding their desires in place, or at least working with other talented people to make their ideas a reality.

(As a sidenote: I do find it ironic that the people that do said collaboration are people who attempt to replace and obsolete features from other mods. Yet they claim 'competition' and 'innovation' as their reasons for reinventing the wheel...)

CascadingDragon

Jul 29, 2019
That mechanic is disabled for a reason. Stop referencing it...
Default disabled, or disabled in FTB packs? Because a fair number of people don't actually use the mod packs, and we download and play for ourselves. (Or the modpack they use has it enabled, for some archaic reason) Nor does it matter, because it's still a mechanic in IC3. We will continue to reference that mechanic.

On topic
So really, I'd just make a different mod. There is very little that I believe doesn't need to be changed... Which is sad, because IC was the 1st mod I ever used, and now I don't even use IC2/3. How the community has changed.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
For me IC2exp is just something to aim for late game. I find it hard to deal with loosing so many precious resources to explosions caused by a poorly (albeit realistically) designed power system. I set up an AE system , get a bunch of interfaces set up and see if I can manage to autocraft solar panels. There needs to be a fun-aspect to something. Once they incorporate more to the scanning / UU system, maybe collecting all of the available scans will be it. I like the mod, truly I do, but the frustration...
One pet peeve as to why I will not use it for ore processing: there is a giant slew of processes in place to triple your ores. I feel like I cheat myself if I don't aim for the tripling; but it ends up being far too much power and time. Using the same amount of energy can just allow me to set up another quarry.
As for the talk of addons not using the API, there has been no solidity in it for a LONG time.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I may be a little late to the party (some threads move just too fast to allow you a night's sleep... :p), but I'd still like to add some comments to the opening post by @Yusunoha and, to a lesser degree, the followup by @MigukNamja :

1.) The crop system is currently being reworked externally; by Minalien, if I remember correctly. What form it will take, or when it will come, nobody knows. There's zero information on it, aside from the fact that the rework is in progress (and even that was only an aside from a dev team member, not a real announcement).

2.) The power system is unfinished. Discussing now how it should be is fairly pointless. However, I do agree that the current "tide people over" implementation is lacking, and IC2 is probably not doing itself any favors in first changing the old system and getting people used to an intermediate step (that they are not happy with) and then changing up things again. The first thing I personally would do to improve IC2, if it was in my power, would be to finalize the e-net ASAP. Give people the real thing.

3.) I personally don't think that Nano and Quantum armor should get a modular approach. We don't need all armor adding mods to be the same, in my opinion; variety is the spice of life. On the other hand, adding additional capabilities through upgrades could be done in a different way, for example the way that Gravitation Suite does it. I never play IC2 without it, because it gives the wearables from IC2 exactly what they are missing. You can upgrade things by crafting them together - i.e. you can craft a normal jetpack and an energy backpack (plus extra components) together to gain a device that acts as both; and then you can craft this advanced jetpack together with a nano chestplate (and extra components) to get a device that is a triple combination of armor and jetpack and energy backpack. This way, you get a system with results similar to a modular approach, but different enough in execution to be useful.

Gravitation Suite also adds an energy meter GUI, allows you to toggle the jetpack off without physically taking it off everytime (once you get used to that, you can't play without it anymore, I guarantee you), and adds a boost mode key that doubles your flight speed for 10x the energy drain if the user desires it.

Basically, I would not change anything in IC2 about armor - I would simply install GraviSuite and be done with it ;) The sort-of-omniwrench-replacement GraviTool and the advanced drill with four individual modes of varying energy draw, including 3x3 digging, are also great additions.

4.) Reactors are also pending expanding on; they are planned to not produce any EU anymore by themselves, but rather just heat coolant that you must pump through it. The hot coolant will then be run through a different block (potentially multiblock) in order to generate power. This will make reactors much more "realistic".

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
4.) Reactors are also pending expanding on; they are planned to not produce any EU anymore by themselves, but rather just heat coolant that you must pump through it. The hot coolant will then be run through a different block (potentially multiblock) in order to generate power. This will make reactors much more "realistic".

I'm hoping for...steam !! Steam is a fairly universal energy fluid, both in MC and in the real world. Nuke reactors and coal-fired power plants both have steam turbines.

If the IC2 team does *not* do steam, I will then interpret that as willful *un*interoperability and, IMHO, a poor decision. In the real world, nuke reactors turn water into steam.

Reactions: RedBoss

frederic

Jul 29, 2019
the reactors already have a config option to output steam when railcraft is installed FTB disables it by default though :( a single good MOX reactor should be able to power about 5 steam turbines if not more than that so this shall be interesting

Reactions: MigukNamja

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Haven't read many of the posts so dunno if it's already been said:

Do away with voltage completely. Increase wire capacity for EU/t 10 fold. Change the transformer names to remove association with voltage. New names would be something like the steam engines from RC; Residential, Commercial, Industrial. They will now be used to maintain the carrying power of wires. For instance lets say glass fiber is able to transport a maximum of 81k EU/t but loses 1-5% of that carrying capacity for every block of wire(Would also need some kind of EU loss thinking anywhere from 0.5-3%). This becomes void if a transformer is close enough to the previous transformer or power source. So lets say residentials need to be every other block for glass fiber cable but for copper could be every 6-10. Now you could of course stretch the wire past where the ideal place for the transformer would be and would instead incur something like 5% of what you would lose if there were no transformer per block past the ideal spot.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
the reactors already have a config option to output steam when railcraft is installed FTB disables it by default though :( a single good MOX reactor should be able to power about 5 steam turbines if not more than that so this shall be interesting

That option was axed in IC2 Experimental in preparation for the new system. Reactors will not output anything other than hot coolant in the future (and for now, nothing other than EU).

MagusUnion

Jul 29, 2019
Default disabled, or disabled in FTB packs? Because a fair number of people don't actually use the mod packs, and we download and play for ourselves. (Or the modpack they use has it enabled, for some archaic reason) Nor does it matter, because it's still a mechanic in IC3. We will continue to reference that mechanic.

If you bothered to pay attention to the Jenkins build change-log, you would see that in version #303 of experimental, it has been disabled "until the energy net is capable of simulating the voltage properly". If you haven't updated your IC2 in awhile, now is a good time to do so ..

Revamp textures, revamp energy network, revamp crops, revamp.. well everything.
So really, I'd just make a different mod. There is very little that I believe doesn't need to be changed... Which is sad, because IC was the 1st mod I ever used, and now I don't even use IC2/3. How the community has changed.

And yet you completely ignore my point: add-on's have the power to change IC2 to what you need it to be. Think of all the changes GregTech does to IC2, yet you NEED IC2 to run GregTech. You can create your own custom machines off of the IC2 API. You can create SuperConductors that have no losses in transmission. You can have machines that won't explode via over-current. You can have new types of generators that run off of much different types of energy. The API is available to all players so that they can re-modify IC2 as they please via the add-on system. All that it requires is a good working knowledge of Java, and dedication to put your plan into action...

SkyBoy96

Jul 29, 2019
I'm hoping for...steam !! Steam is a fairly universal energy fluid, both in MC and in the real world. Nuke reactors and coal-fired power plants both have steam turbines.

If the IC2 team does *not* do steam, I will then interpret that as willful *un*interoperability and, IMHO, a poor decision. In the real world, nuke reactors turn water into steam.
Not all reactors make steam directly. Some reactors use water to cool the reactor directly, pumping the resulting steam into a turbine + condenser then back into the reactor. Other reactors use other fluid in a closed loop to cool the reactor, which heats water held away from the reactor itself. Personally, I find the latter to seem more realistic than the former, but to each their own. Here are links to diagrams for the reactors: Water in reactor chamber, water outside reactor chamber

frederic

Jul 29, 2019
a player should NEVER have to write their own addon to fix stuff that the original mod screwed up... the mod authors should fix it not the players and not everyone fully understands java and i can't blame those people java is like almost the worst thing out there

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
a player should NEVER have to write their own addon to fix stuff that the original mod screwed up... the mod authors should fix it not the players and not everyone fully understands java and i can't blame those people java is like almost the worst thing out there

I don't think it's about fixing what it screwed up. I was under the impression IC2 was deliberately lacking in features so addon developers add on to it. This was a really good idea back in the day when EU was the universal power system, but now less people are using IC2 and it's no longer mainstream enough to expect the community to develop it. Although thanks to UE you could probably make a pretty decent pack with IC2 supporting mods only.

I feel this the route that TE is going down (sans the declining of popularity). I think it's turning into a base for a lot of addon mods to latch onto, at least that's what I'd like it to be. I guess in 1.4/1.5 Buildcraft kinda was this inadvertently, but I think it'd be great if a large number of mods adopted RF as their lone power system simply because, unlike EU, it's Minecrafty.

Last edited:

frederic

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think it's about fixing what it screwed up. I was under the impression IC2 was deliberately lacking in features so addon developers add on to it. This was a really good idea back in the day when EU was the universal power system, but now less people are using IC2 and it's no longer mainstream enough to expect the community to develop it. Although thanks to UE you could probably make a pretty decent pack with IC2 supporting mods only.

I feel this the route that TE is going down (sans the declining of popularity). I think it's turning into a base for a lot of addon mods to latch onto, at least that's what I'd like it to be. I guess in 1.4/1.5 Buildcraft kinda was this inadvertently, but I think it'd be great if a large number of mods adopted RF as their lone power system simply because, unlike EU, it's Minecrafty.

i personally feel like they should not rely on mddevs to develop addons but instead implement it in their own mod for example look at TE it has a hard mode config built in you don't need a addon to do that for you same for wireless power transfer etc and the entire IC² code needs a rewrite have you seen opis comparisons between TE and IC²? the diffrence is huge ic² machines are 8 times more laggy than TE ones and enderIO stuff basically IC² is a dead horse that they keep trying to bring back to life but fail at it the entire thing needs a rewrite and then it might become more popular once again

frederic

Jul 29, 2019
i have considered making a "hack" around the ic2 recipies that gets you 10 UU (the solid for as before) per one bucket of UU since it is 10x more expensive now and bringing back the shaped recepies if i do it i'll post it here so you guys can use it if you want and not use it if you feel like it's OP

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
i have considered making a "hack" around the ic2 recipies that gets you 10 UU (the solid for as before) per one bucket of UU since it is 10x more expensive now and bringing back the shaped recepies if i do it i'll post it here so you guys can use it if you want and not use it if you feel like it's OP
IMO the new UU has potential, it just requires you to use the rest of IC2 and more importantly has no good recipes (i.e. nothing 10x more easily gotten via other means)

Reactions: PierceSG

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
IMO the new UU has potential, it just requires you to use the rest of IC2 and more importantly has no good recipes (i.e. nothing 10x more easily gotten via other means)

Agreed, it does have a lot of potential... It would have more if you could scan ANY block and reproduce it with varying amounts of liquid UU and EUs. Set the default values deliberately high for blocks it doesn't know and allow other mods to specify their own amounts of UU and EUs needed for blocks.

Reactions: PierceSG