Why no new launcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinbobo

Jul 29, 2019
I can confirm google's Public DNS is working.
5BOzV.png

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
I got to thinking: What is Feed The Beast?

It's not the launcher, though this tool is essential to delivering and launching the FTB modpacks.

Is it the comprehensive modded minecraft experience? The FTB brand has quickly established itself as a quality collection of well-balanced, stable and themed mods. But with so many mod authors constantly adding new features, and a new 1.6 launcher still a while away, what now?

Vanilla launcher, another modpack collection, or keep waiting? Decisions, decisions....

vasouv

Jul 29, 2019
A website isn't the same as coding a launcher and the forum's is was just a forum update with new custom skins thanks to Nana.
Comparing a Website to a coding a launcher that will download/install and handle user profiles/instances and configs a long with how it's done is way harder then a lot of people think it is.
I know that, I wasn't comparing them really. I do code in Java and have messed with web dev a bit; albeit both in a hobby fashion, I understand the differences :)

What I meant was that in the last ~9 months, nothing visible (to me) has happened to justify that there's ongoing progress. I may be wrong, and probably am, but I'm a pessimist, can't change this now :p

groundhog

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is again that we cannot predict how much time people will have to complete what needs to be done. Without that knowledge and ETA is just a guess and means nothing to anyone.

Why do projects fail - 101.

- Unclear timeframes.
and saying you dont have any brings us to
- Lack of proper planning
- Lack of delivery milestones.

If you dont have estimates, I asume you aren't tracking to any sort of plan. If you know what needs to be done, you can establish an estimate, even if its a rough order of magnitude.

As the business owner or project manager, you need to ensure a clear vision statement is in place, which outlines the broad objectives for your team, with clear milestones which can be fleshed out, measured and tracked through planning and implementation, during technical reviews and through every stage of delivery.

I'm just trying to help. You're in a risk mitigation phase without a rudder or sextant and all that comes to mind is the old PM adage: Fail to plan - plan to fail.

niviath

Jul 29, 2019
I just wanted to say thank you to you, slowpoke, and the whole Feed the Beast team for working on this, without pay, for being dedicated to the community, and being in game development myself, I understand how much of a strain something like this can be when you're trying to get things finished and polished. Thank you.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Slow thanks for update. The new launcher sound cool. I am hopeful that the new configs and mod lists will be released soon so that we can at least start work on setting up servers for the new packs.

xaositech

Jul 29, 2019
what is creeperrepo

It is a big magic thing, a huge creeperhost storage area, they got involved in FTB, and they are a great minecraft hosting service, I say.

I am happy with the news in the first post! Take your time, and work for quality as always.

About ETA in IT:
If you can foretell all the problems, and possibble solutions, which are encountered alongside the making of this project, then an estimated time of arrival can be set.
But it sounds like, and it is impossibble.
When I work on a project, I usually say much more:
-in case of small projects I say two weeks
-middle ones get one month

For example, our pack (Remixed) got started in september, the closed beta with 3 complete overhauls and world resets got finished on the end of october, and we are running a limited open beta now.
A lot of mods got upgraded, new mods taking the place of old ones, which has some bad bugs in them, and I still going thru the communications with modders to report errors, and ask for their agreement for the pack.
So I would say end of january ETA for our pack - if we won't use the new promising FTB coming out.
If we will, then I don't know the ETA again. :D

Ps: by the way, people who complain about the oncoming world reset, take a peek on Midas Gold, the world converter:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...world-world-block-item-id-converter-for-mods/

Reactions: Francis Baster

miralize

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks slowpoke, the update is definitely appreciated! Excited for the new launcher/1.6.4 packs... as people should be!

Status
Not open for further replies.