Resonant Rise

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
I am GPuzzle, the guy that has a computer made of wood and potatos, and I approve of this necro.

Reactions: Saice

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I reread the thread. Man, has RR come a long way...

We're past the 1 year anniversary of the AdvancingCraft modpack and server, which is what become Resonant Rise. We're coming up on the death of the AdvancedCraft server, which is why I started the project.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I reread the thread. Man, has RR come a long way...

We're past the 1 year anniversary of the AdvancingCraft modpack and server, which is what become Resonant Rise. We're coming up on the death of the AdvancedCraft server, which is why I started the project.

my condolences and congratulations... wait, can you actually use both those words in the same sentence? o_O

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
They pushed a large update recently, lot of changes, this is on top of minor patches couple times a day. Pack has came a long ways, I use to hate it and now i'm wondering why I keep supporting FTB. I reported a crash on the RR forums and they seriously fixed it and updated the pack within 30 minutes.

RR is nearing non-beta stages, and he's starting to finalize which mods are going to be included. It's going to be the pack to play for 1.6 in my opinion. Only thing I don't really like is the Nether Ores. There's more ore down there than Netherack.

Last edited:

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
They pushed a large update recently, lot of changes, this is on top of minor patches couple times a day. Pack has came a long ways, I use to hate it and now i'm wondering why I keep supporting FTB. I reported a crash on the RR forums and they seriously fixed it and updated the pack within 30 minutes.

RR is nearing non-beta stages, and he's starting to finalize which mods are going to be included. It's going to be the pack to play for 1.6 in my opinion. Only thing I don't really like is the Nether Ores. There's more ore down there than Netherack.

RR is more... a community pack. it's build around the effort and enjoyment of the community. FTB offers more packs, and with each pack they have a set of members who work on it. those packs are often centered around a theme and the community do have a say in it, but not as big as with RR

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
RR is more... a community pack. it's build around the effort and enjoyment of the community. FTB offers more packs, and with each pack they have a set of members who work on it. those packs are often centered around a theme and the community do have a say in it, but not as big as with RR

My RR Cons:
- Many of the mods don't have a texture pack, even a Sphax version. Very distracting.
- The nether looks insane and has more ore than netherack.
- Bloat. There's like a million ores and items, and many of them have no real use or don't work well with other mods. Many of the mods simply are not needed. For example, no one needs 50+ options on how to break down ore, and another 50 options to turn that dust into bars.
- Even after the extensive testing it's gone through, there are still some issues that will likely never be fixed. Many lesser known mods just don't play well with other lesser known mods.
- There is a rather large performance hit by having so many mods.

My FTB Cons:
- Slow updates
- May not have some mods i've grown attached too (EnderIO, Waila, ProjectRed, QuarryPlus, etc), adding them manually risks causing problems in future updates.
- Lack of optional mods that are configured to work with the pack.
- Sometimes makes controversial mods required instead of optional (Dartcraft, EE, Gregtech)

Honestly, I can't choose and will probably start my new 1.6 world on whatever pack comes out first in a non-beta release. Really depends on what mods FTB chooses this time around.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
50 options? that is a bit of a stretch.

But the reason there is multiple options is just that so people can do things in different ways. When you only have 1 way to do something then in server play everyone does basically the same thing which can be boring.

Case in point. I like mining by hand so I like the options from TiCo and Metallurgy but others like to automine and prefer other methods to do such. If RR narrowed down the options to much then it would push everyone towards a single play style some might not enjoy.

One of the goals with RR is to give people those options and make them as compatible with each other as possible.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
50 options? that is a bit of a stretch.

But the reason there is multiple options is just that so people can do things in different ways. When you only have 1 way to do something then in server play everyone does basically the same thing which can be boring.

Case in point. I like mining by hand so I like the options from TiCo and Metallurgy but others like to automine and prefer other methods to do such. If RR narrowed down the options to much then it would push everyone towards a single play style some might not enjoy.

One of the goals with RR is to give people those options and make them as compatible with each other as possible.

pretty much this. RR provides a player with more ways of doing things then they could even imagine.
for some people it might be a blessing, but I can imagine it being a curse for some others, mostly the people who are pretty much new to the whole modding world. for me RR is a modpack that's more for the advanced players, while FTB is more for the newcomers. now FTB does have multiple modpacks so it's easier to get into FTB then RR, but I've heard RR is going to work on other modpacks aswell (for now I heard about RR Lite)

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
It is trivial to remove mods from RR with the ATLauncher, which is what I do.

I drop Underground Biomes, Chisel, ChocoboCraft, Blood Magic, Witchery, tabbychat, etc. Now that TE is in I can drop Metallurgy too.

By providing such a large pack and so easy a way to trim it down it is a great template for carving out your own private pack since they do the hard work for you.

Reactions: RedBoss

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019

I drop Underground Biomes, Chisel, ChocoboCraft, Blood Magic, Witchery, tabbychat, etc. Now that TE is in I can drop Metallurgy too.

By providing such a large pack and so easy a way to trim it down it is a great template for carving out your own private pack since they do the hard work for you.

chisel is actually a pretty nice mod once you start playing with it ;)

Softpotatis

Jul 29, 2019

Witchery seems awesome to me, I already discovered a way to make slimeballs early game and there's witch brooms! How awesome doesn't that sound? I'm really looking forward getting one of 'em, I hope I can fly with it, that'd be beyond awesome.

Reactions: casilleroatr

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Chisel is glorious. I have yet to get round to carpenters blocks as I am still very early game. There are soooo many decorative options that are easy to get hold of in RR that I have been having so much fun even though I have only built three machines (a crusher and a dartcraft furnace). Even the dartcraft furnace was chosen for aesthetic purposes because I made the pink one.

Ooooh, and Witchery. I can't wait to start putting my third machine (the witch's oven) to use. And I love those mandrakes, so long as they are on the other side of a fence.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I only play without underground biomes, too many types of cobble.
It was coolw ehn first added in 1.5.2 but its a real resource hog and I agree about the various type of cobble being a logistical nightmare. But they're SO pretty!

Chisel is glorious. I have yet to get round to carpenters blocks as I am still very early game.
Once you get a lumber axe you'll be fine. All you need is sticks and planks. I finally have a simple way to make vertical slabs. VERTICAL slabs are the new hotness as they say. LOL

I personally am only going to disable one mod going forward, Ars MAgica 2. I LOVe the Twilight Forest and the massive mob spawn rates of Ars hostiles in that dimension completely ruin it for me. TF is VERY dangerous, but only underground or in boss structures. Getting hounded by Hecates in TF while harvesting clay is beyond annoying and the request for mob spawn configs has been ignored for a few weeks on the Ars2 github.

Reactions: casilleroatr

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Just rember the Carptener's hammer does different things to blocks with left and right click and you can shiftclick most to pop out what ever you put in them. Also Carpenter's chisel lets you add textures to blocks that dont normaly have them. I'm looking at you burnt quartz.

Status
Not open for further replies.