Mekanism: Feature Request Thread

Aidan

Jul 29, 2019
Er, crude? I'm terrified to see what your artist will create then. :p These are already way better than anything that AE, RP2 or BC has come up with. Specifically the color scheme is really nice.

Three questions (don't get me wrong these things are frikin' amazing):
-How many colors are there to sort with? The normal 16?
-How expensive are the pipes/sorters?
-Is there any possibility of a Round-Robin pipe or sorter mode?

There's a base of 14 colors I believe, this does not include grey. The pipes/sorters honestly aren't all that expensive; it's intended to be available for use in early-ish gameplay. As for Round Robin mode...it is a WIP ;)

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
There's a base of 14 colors I believe, this does not include grey. The pipes/sorters honestly aren't all that expensive; it's intended to be available for use in early-ish gameplay. As for Round Robin mode...it is a WIP ;)
Woot!

Since the server I play on updated to the latest Mek version I immediately set up a basic Factory system. One problem immediately reared its ugly head: unless I'm doing it wrong, Logistical Sorters cannot directly empty items into machines, like the old RP2 Filters.

Basically, there needs to be 1 pipe in-between the machine and the sorter for the sorter to function. This creates issues, though, because the sorter doesn't really care if the machine has room or not and will just send every item it can into the pipe, causing overflow. This can be fixed with a loop back to the chest the sorter is pulling from, but this creates an infinite loop that could *potentially* cause lag. I haven't tested the lag part extensively.

In addition, machines on autoeject can get stuck. This happens when a machine is producing a different material than the machine it's feeding (very common in ore processing) and while the machine it's feeding is still working it fills up its inventory. Since it only ejects on every operation and no operation can take place, the system croaks. This usually happens with an Enrichment Center ejecting into an Energized Smelter for ore processing. Hope this paragraph made a bit of sense lol.

Other than that it's a very good system. The eject bug doesn't seem to factories, even basic ones, because it's nigh impossible for them to have enough dust backed up, and the loop is a decent temporary workaround.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe a little more to the system you have? Like the pipes to a chest which has Translocator on the chest feeding to the machine?

A diamind chest should be big enough so it wouldn't cause an overflow or spills?

Aidan

Jul 29, 2019
Woot!

Since the server I play on updated to the latest Mek version I immediately set up a basic Factory system. One problem immediately reared its ugly head: unless I'm doing it wrong, Logistical Sorters cannot directly empty items into machines, like the old RP2 Filters.

Basically, there needs to be 1 pipe in-between the machine and the sorter for the sorter to function. This creates issues, though, because the sorter doesn't really care if the machine has room or not and will just send every item it can into the pipe, causing overflow. This can be fixed with a loop back to the chest the sorter is pulling from, but this creates an infinite loop that could *potentially* cause lag. I haven't tested the lag part extensively.

In addition, machines on autoeject can get stuck. This happens when a machine is producing a different material than the machine it's feeding (very common in ore processing) and while the machine it's feeding is still working it fills up its inventory. Since it only ejects on every operation and no operation can take place, the system croaks. This usually happens with an Enrichment Center ejecting into an Energized Smelter for ore processing. Hope this paragraph made a bit of sense lol.

Other than that it's a very good system. The eject bug doesn't seem to factories, even basic ones, because it's nigh impossible for them to have enough dust backed up, and the loop is a decent temporary workaround.

Yes, sorters can't directly eject, but note that just a single transporter will suffice between two machines considering that the outputter's auto-eject mode is enabled. I think I go over this in one of the three videos, but basically it will eject directly into a transporter OR inventory adjacent to it.

As for that eject bug...if you could explain that in a bit more detail I'd be happy try and fix!
(Round Robin mode is coming along quite nicely, expect to see it in the next few days)

Steel

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, sorters can't directly eject, but note that just a single transporter will suffice between two machines considering that the outputter's auto-eject mode is enabled. I think I go over this in one of the three videos, but basically it will eject directly into a transporter OR inventory adjacent to it.

As for that eject bug...if you could explain that in a bit more detail I'd be happy try and fix!
(Round Robin mode is coming along quite nicely, expect to see it in the next few days)

The eject bug is related to the fact that items are ejected only when a job is finished. So, if you are ejecting to a system that can fill up (like ejecting from an Enrichment Center to a furnace) then the ejecting system might finish it's tasks of processing one type of item, and be unable to eject the output. Then, if a different type of item is input, it cannot process it until the output slots are cleared. Which will never happen, because it won't try to auto eject anymore if no new jobs finish.

So, put a stack of iron ore in a Enrichment Center directly connected to a vanilla furnace. It will output at least a stack of dust to the furnace, but eventually the dust will become backed up and unable to eject. Then put copper ore in the Enrichment Center. Bam, enrichment center jammed without manual attention.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
The eject bug is related to the fact that items are ejected only when a job is finished. So, if you are ejecting to a system that can fill up (like ejecting from an Enrichment Center to a furnace) then the ejecting system might finish it's tasks of processing one type of item, and be unable to eject the output. Then, if a different type of item is input, it cannot process it until the output slots are cleared. Which will never happen, because it won't try to auto eject anymore if no new jobs finish.

So, put a stack of iron ore in a Enrichment Center directly connected to a vanilla furnace. It will output at least a stack of dust to the furnace, but eventually the dust will become backed up and unable to eject. Then put copper ore in the Enrichment Center. Bam, enrichment center jammed without manual attention.
Basically this, but I was even experiencing the bug with an Enrichment Center and an Energized Smelter at max speed upgrades. I'm not sure how to fix this since I'm no coder, but since TE had a nearly identical system and this never happened so I'm willing to bet that KingLemming found a workaround.

Steel

Jul 29, 2019
Basically this, but I was even experiencing the bug with an Enrichment Center and an Energized Smelter at max speed upgrades. I'm not sure how to fix this since I'm no coder, but since TE had a nearly identical system and this never happened so I'm willing to bet that KingLemming found a workaround.

TE ejects items on an different trigger. I think it ejects on job completion as well as on a periodic timer.

Posted on my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
man I have to say I'm really liking not only the over all way this is coming out but even really just like the look of it all.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
it`s good to see a round-robin functionality but it`s kinda incomplete. from what i understood from the video it functions based on quantity of stacks rather than quantity of items, so if quantity of items in stacks are not equal it will result in unequal distribution. i imagine it would be tricky(and kinda pointless) to add change functionality based on item quantity, can you add option to reduce quantity of items filter extracts per pull?

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
it`s good to see a round-robin functionality but it`s kinda incomplete. from what i understood from the video it functions based on quantity of stacks rather than quantity of items, so if quantity of items in stacks are not equal it will result in unequal distribution. i imagine it would be tricky(and kinda pointless) to add change functionality based on item quantity, can you add option to reduce quantity of items filter extracts per pull?
That's already implemented into the sorter; I think it's Video 3.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't followed this mod completely, but are there plans for a way to speed up the items through the pipes?
perhaps something similar to the magtubes of RP2. so an item you can click onto a pipe which will speed up the items going through it.
or a function for more precise item extraction, where a redstone signal would pull out 1 item or 1 stack of items.

Aidan

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't followed this mod completely, but are there plans for a way to speed up the items through the pipes?
perhaps something similar to the magtubes of RP2. so an item you can click onto a pipe which will speed up the items going through it.
or a function for more precise item extraction, where a redstone signal would pull out 1 item or 1 stack of items.
Oooh! Yes! I'll add something like that for sure - I'm also in the process of implementing a replacement for Barrels. What's a good name?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Ah, might be. Always use both mods combined, so always thought it was Mek that added the crates.