Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
I guess you win there, now that I think about it. I'll try to make a proper comparison though :p

I'd argue that the most content is in computer craft. You can do almost anything with computers, turtles and a bit of coding. From automation perspective forestry is good, every machine has different requirements or products, they are not just simple furnaces (1-2 input items, 1 output item).

However for me the most content has RC. I can spend hours and even days designing railway systems, the only problem is that it has too much tracks and items, making it overly complicated.

Edit:

Steve carts new tree cutter and nerfed boilers? anybody? no?

Actually this was a good nerf, it brought SC more in line with other mods and it wasn't the absolutely best solution for tree cutting. SC is powerful and has proper cost balance, but crafting recipes are just dreadful. GT has more straightforward ones and in GT they add incentive to automate crafting them to get better yields or not wait for one thing. In SC it is completely arbitrary, its only purpose is for you to spend more time in crafting window.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I

Actually this was a good nerf, it brought SC more in line with other mods and it wasn't the absolutely best solution for tree cutting. SC is powerful and has proper cost balance, but crafting recipes are just dreadful. GT has more straightforward ones and in GT they add incentive to automate crafting them to get better yields or not wait for one thing. In SC it is completely arbitrary, its only purpose is for you to spend more time in crafting window.

It still is one of the best, you just have a huge crafting and resource gathering hurdle to jump. It falls into my post about adding time and annoying, tedious crafting without adding content. I like the mod, but I hate the crafting. It doesn't do anything for balance since you still get the ridiculous output from 1.4.7, its just more annoying to get the tool parts. THAT is horrible balance and the community has responded in kind by using the mod far less that it did previously.

ROI, Return on Investment. This is the thing players view when devs go "balancing". No one minds paying a cost, but when a good thing is made more costly with no new reward, it's viewed as a nerf. That is what irks people. We now have to add more time and effort to get the same old thing we had before. No one minds needing a hammer to make a plate if the plate gives you something new, better, or just plain cool. Everyone will hate needing a hammer if the plate is used to make the same old box you had before the hammer.

In a world where time is the only true cost, adding tedium into my game and not giving me a logical, tangible incentive to invest more time into a process is illogical. This is a game. I play to have fun. But honestly, these nerfs don't irk me now. They just force me to find some other method to achieve the same goal.

It usually involves not using the nerfed mod any longer

draeath

Jul 29, 2019

I'd be fine with it if it didn't take 2 realtime hours to "assemble" a cart while requiring ONLY COAL for a fuel. Can't use coke, can't use charcoal, or any other furnace fuel either. The same mod's coal engines can do that, so why can't the assembler? Fix that and I'd be OK with the duration, honestly - though I'd imagine it sucks for folks who's server (or SP as the case may be) can't run on it's own for extended lengths of time.

UrNotFunny

Jul 29, 2019
I'd be fine with it if it didn't take 2 realtime hours to "assemble" a cart while requiring ONLY COAL for a fuel. Can't use coke, can't use charcoal, or any other furnace fuel either. The same mod's coal engines can do that, so why can't the assembler? Fix that and I'd be OK with the duration, honestly - though I'd imagine it sucks for folks who's server (or SP as the case may be) can't run on it's own for extended lengths of time.

Isn't there an upgrade for the Cart Assembler that lets it take more fuel types? (Coke, charcoal, even blaze rods) There's also an upgrade that lets you use lava, also passive power generation and solar power.

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
The amount of times the word "tedious" is misused. Not by anyone in particular, but by about everyone.
Any sort of grind where you have to repeat the same boring thing over and over and over and over IS tedious. Spending several hours or days killing the same monsters for exp in a RPG or MMORPG is tedious. Mining for a bit to make several machines is slightly annoying, the norm for "cost" in Minecraft. Mining for hours just to make one machine is tedious.

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
When people consider GT "hard".
It's not hard, it's dull and boring - I mean, c'mon, are you on a relationship with the crafting table or something?
It depends how you define hard.
I define it something you need to spend a good bit more effort and work into to make it work, and gregtech fits into that pretty well.[DOUBLEPOST=1383864540][/DOUBLEPOST]
Any sort of grind where you have to repeat the same boring thing over and over and over and over IS tedious. Spending several hours or days killing the same monsters for exp in a RPG or MMORPG is tedious. Mining for a bit to make several machines is slightly annoying, the norm for "cost" in Minecraft. Mining for hours just to make one machine is tedious.
Tedious means dull or tiresome. Grinding is Tedious, sure, but I've seen many instances where people think tedious actually MEANS grinding, and that's not exactly right.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
GT is not hard, it is tedium. Hard means you actually need to think of a strategy or a plan on how to work it out. GT just means you got to gather more resources. There is zero strategy in requiring more resources, it is just more time invested in either gathering it manually or waiting for whatever automated resource gathering/manufacturing contraption you have to get you the required resources.

Building a skyscraper, that can accommodate machines, wirings, piping network, all covered up, without flight. That would require planning and some brainwork on how to make it happen.

Making a compact vanilla redstone contraption is also what I would consider hard.

Not GT. When you can just throw more resources at it to make what you need.

I would concede that making a fully automated reactor system that doesn't require anymore interaction other than starting it up, is indeed hard.

P.S. also, the arbitrary waiting time for almost all processes but to be fair, vanilla MC furnaces does that too.

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
GT is not hard, it is tedium. Hard means you actually need to think of a strategy or a plan on how to work it out. GT just means you got to gather more resources. There is zero strategy in requiring more resources, it is just more time invested in either gathering it manually or waiting for whatever automated resource gathering/manufacturing contraption you have to get you the required resources.
I'd have to disagree with that. There's a lot of opinion and strategy in trying to collect materials. I've been trying to collect a extremely large quantity of lapis for my LESU, and I've went down so many different roads to get them. Quarrys, bees, UU, and more opinions. It's been pretty fun trying different ways to collect the materials, if I say so myself.
I might be nuts, but the "grinding" has better pretty fun for me :p

The google+ and youtube merging thing has been a huge PITA for about everyone it seems. I'm not sure what if youtube even pays any attention to the people who use it. Maybe Twitch will win the video wars at this pace of crap youtubes been pushing out >: (

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
[Snip]
I might be nuts, but the "grinding" has better pretty fun for me :p
[Snip]

I think that's the source of your different opinion to most of the other people here, a lot of people don't like grinding, and thus think grinding is tedious.
(Not saying you're nuts for it, just saying it's different to most people)

Reactions: xbony2

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
I think that's the source of your different opinion to most of the other people here, a lot of people don't like grinding, and thus think grinding is tedious.
(Not saying you're nuts for it, just saying it's different to most people)
Yep. I still pride myself for being nuts though :p[DOUBLEPOST=1383874754][/DOUBLEPOST]
Lapis? MFR's Laser Drill with a foci. You'll be drowning in lapis.
I think that isn't in the 1.4 packs though. Better check quickly.