Any good automatic sugar cane farm?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sionyn

Jul 29, 2019
I'm Looking for a good automatic sugar cane farm that i could build on my world which got the Unleashed mod pack. If you have one or if you know of someone that made a tutorial. Please Comment below:D

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
There was a vanilla one involving pistons and flowing water. Basically, as the sugarcane hit three squares, it closed the redstone circuit and activated the piston that knocked it off into the flowing water, which ended up in a hopper and then into a chest.

Of course, MFR Harvesters work just fine. Technically, Forestry multiblock farms also work, but that's a LOT of work for a very little reward.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
I'd always go with vanilla farms for sugar cane and cactus, there's plenty of videos on youtube, try searching.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
The most common reason I know of is that it requires fertilizer to run, which is a non renewable resource, which would be fine if it weren't for the sheer size of the deposits you find apatite in, much less the enormous amounts you get from them even without looting. Which is made very easy to acquire either with DC, TiC, or Enchanting Plus. Not to mention TC3's ability to stretch Apatite further, or the ability to make even more with Ash. Or stretch it out with sulfur.

I usually have one going for my rubber needs already anyway, so making one side sugar cane is no skin off my nose.

On the other hand, I really like the piston punch method. One cane grows up to 3, the entire row gets punched off.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
MFR harvester with sugar cane planted on IC2 crops. Anything would be hard pressed to out-produce that.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
a lot of work? the only there is alot of there is to make the blocks. And when its made it just need power to run and its so little.
First you have to build the multiblock farm, which is a steep investment in resources (2+ stacks of tin and copper, plus some gold and other stuff). Powering it isn't -too- bad, although due to the size, piping in power might be rather inconvenient. Then it will require a constant supply of water and apatite-based fertilizer. Granted, you can set up an Aqueous Accumulator to provide this water trivially, but that is still yet another machine and proper setup. Apatite appears in large veins, but it is not a renewable resource, so you have to constantly expand and explore to continue to feed it.

Or, drop down an MFR fertilizer and feed it power. Done.

Which one takes FAR less effort?

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
AE Transition planes next to block 2 of the sugar cane, if you're looking for about the worst return on investment possible. But hey, it works (it was just a proof of concept).

Reactions: RedBoss

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
A dumb straw golem and a dumb wood golem, no special cores needed (but maybe lilypad your water).

If you're not thaumcrafty, then IC2 crop harvesters (you don't even need water directly adjacent to reeds which are planted in crops) with overclocker upgrades to harvest more blocks.

I reckon it's possible that straw golems would harvest IC2 crops as well, again simplifying the water issue.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
There's a bee for that indeed !

On that note, I was pumped this playthrough when I got Quantum bees. Took lots of rolling and re-rolling of the dice on 5% mutations, but it was worth it. Certus *and* Nether Quartz from 1 bee. As DW20 says, "Nice !"

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Don't ic2 crops sometimes die and become weeds? I was sure I lost some and they became weeds...

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Don't ic2 crops sometimes die and become weeds? I was sure I lost some and they became weeds...

Planted crops never become weeds unless adjacent crop sticks have weeds on them. Weeds can only grow on empty crop sticks.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Apatite is not that tough in 1.6.4, assuming MPS + TiC Hammer w/full Lapis upgrade. Boring through a mountaintop by hand is pretty quick and 1 vein is ~10 stacks of apatite. Using the 8x ash recipe, that's a barrel-full of blue fertilizer right there.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
It is still far more work and effort than MFR. By miles.

Honestly, I'm considering dumping Forestry completely. I'm not interested in bees, and the trees are only necessary because of the bees. Other mods do automation much better at this point. I'm not really seeing a reason to use it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.