Base Design

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I built a 60x60 base that was over 100 blocks tall from basement to top floor ceiling. It had 3 floors and a split level.

I suck at automation, and my plant and animal farms were outside. I still felt like I didn't have enough room.

Anything small that I build always seems cramped once I start adding machines. My "basic" structures usually run around 30ish by 19ish. If I build in a cave I spend most of my time making it not look like a cave inside. This stops me from ever building tech stuff. I hate caves, they're dirty lol.

TL;DR I build randomly and I like creme brulee

I heard you wanted some space...

MIggf3D.jpg

Bottom circle is 128 diameter. Top one is 30 something I think. You can also see where I'm clearing down to bedrock.

And yes that is a dynmap screenshot because I can't possibly get the whole thing in one SS.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
On a multiplay server most people tend to build up and down in a 3x3 chunk grid cos most servers limit chunk loading/loaders.

lazaruz76

Jul 29, 2019
On my current SSP world I started in a cave. but after getting some basics I went and found my current site. Built a small house then moved everything over. Will try to get some screenshots later. Base is still very much a W.I.P.

I heard you wanted some space...

Show:

Bottom circle is 128 diameter. Top one is 30 something I think. You can also see where I'm clearing down to bedrock.

And yes that is a dynmap screenshot because I can't possibly get the whole thing in one SS.

<--- {jaw hits floor}

Booker The Geek

Feb 26, 2013
Pacific North West, USA
Generally speaking, I tend to build pretty buildings, and let the other people in my server town figure out how to make them functional. Last town ended up being about 7x10 chunks in size. Multitude of different buildings

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
My building style is heavily influenced by my playstyle and being colorblind.

As early as feasible in the game, I dig down and make a room to live in. From there, I dig down to mine for iron, gold, diamond, and redstone.

At some point in the process, I need more space, so I start to make a big room. If I'm playing mods, and I have been -at all- fortunate, my first three diamonds go into making a turtle. I run this program (http://pastebin.com/d0cbES1s) and usually end up with a room that is about a chunk wide and usually two or three long, and at least 6 blocks high.

That's my home, machine room, storage room, etc. The turtle can expand in any direction for me while I work on a project, so I often will branch out if I need something different.

I almost never surface unless I have a surface-project (like bees) or need to go hunting for a stronghold or some specific biome.

I tend to build in high-contrast because it's the most attractive to me, and I like building in greyscales because the available blocks in unleashed help with that (quarried stone, stone, infernal stone, abyssal stone. I'd love more gradients, honestly :) )

And stairs. Angled walls and soft-edged ceilings everywhere. Upside down stairs and corner-connecting stairs are Mojang's greatest gift to design-challenged people like me.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to first choose a chunk grid layout to use in a 3x3 or 4x2 area to use, then designate a couple of the chunks to function and the rest to form, and build a randomized exterior wall within the chunk boundary. For example, I'll use a long L shape in a 3x2 pattern and carve out a shape with a few juts/protrusions to make it look natural, then I'll use the other chunks for exterior aesthetics/outdoor yard and such. I will sometimes extend outward from here for purely aesthetic house modifications, then finish floor one. I try my best to build into terrain and make it look natural, sometimes making a couple revisions along the way. Floor 2 usually isn't as big as floor 1 but is done to look natural and is almost always for aesthetics only (bedrooms, library, etc).

I put my infrastructure in a more pragmatically styled basement and run cables up to the main floor, hidden well via facades and covers. All machines are on floor 1 in purpose-designed rooms cordoned off to flow with the structure, usually with AE and facades here so I have a one stop shop. I use an obsidian transport pipe for depositing patterns into the MAC downstairs.

If I plan too much with the structure's shape, it tends to look unnatural and sterile. It takes a little longer with the eye-test change as you go style, but produces much better results for me.

Eventually I move on to superstructures or transportation. I've also been known to build underground cities, but slime chunks and quarries haven taken away the Safety + organic feel a manually carved out cave produces.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
For the building i make at the center of the chunk a 2x2 column with 1 liquiduct with water, 1 ME interface cable, a MJ transport cable (usually TE ones, as they have a loss of only 5% no matter the distance) and EU transport (at the start, i use fiber, but after some time i usually upgrade it to high voltage)... Then i build around it, making layers and looking for efficiency, and when i need to hook up something, i do it to the main line which comes from the bedrock where i store my liquids and put my energy production) and when i need something else than water i use ender tanks..

I love this idea. I'm going to steal it for my next base. I rarely build towers, since traversing up and down multiple floors can often be a pain, but I really love the idea of a multi-floor base with a central column for item/liquid/power transport.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
The first time, I dug a hole and turned it into a castle with a rail transportation network spanning kilometers in the overworld and nether. I created a floating forest supported by glowstone roots and built a tree house into a solid mass of grown trees with glowstone bridges between more distant trees. Massive arrays of furnaces and chests marked the borders of a manual quarry that only existed to provide a clear view of the sun for a section of the rail network. But all this was back in alpha/beta-ish (played that world over a year straight).

Since then I've moved onto building two different chunk bases, they're easier to build into mountains than a flat plain. I've also done two quarry bases (quarry out a large area, build base inside it). Doing a ranch house made out of chrome, iridium and quartz was a lot of fun in 152wgt. My current build is an enormous rectangular box hanging over a quarry hole with retractable drawbridges. I dunno why people make 9x9 boxes... can't hardly fit anything in them. I guess some people restart their worlds often enough that focusing on anything big in the time allowed means not touching on all the mods in a current pack.[DOUBLEPOST=1381165258][/DOUBLEPOST]
I love this idea. I'm going to steal it for my next base. I rarely build towers, since traversing up and down multiple floors can often be a pain, but I really love the idea of a multi-floor base with a central column for item/liquid/power transport.

Mikeemoo's openblocks mod adds an elevator block that's perfect for multi-floor vertical towers :D

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
i should note that i get insanely frustrated with floor traversing as well. its hard to make stairs that look aesthetically pleasing that don't use up a lot of space. On my current build, the stairways are outside and it fits well, but its a bit of a hassle switching between the basement and upper floor. On my previous server I resorted to teleporters with MFSUs, think I may have to do it again.

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone import some villagers so their base / town has a more populated feel?

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
Mikeemoo's openblocks mod adds an elevator block that's perfect for multi-floor vertical towers :D

Ooh, I'd forgotten about that block. I typically rely on levitators or plain old vanilla ladders for multi-floor structures, but an elevator block would be perfect!

I don't really have any set building style. For the longest time, I just built 9x9s (although mine at least had windows instead of plain old cobble walls). Eventually, I got sick of 9x9s and decided to build something that looked good while still remaining functional. I ended up with a rectangular "mansion" with an open floorplan (i.e. no interior walls). It was okay, but I suppose if I ever rebuilt it I'd make the walls and floors thicker to make it easier to hide pipes and cables.

At one point I built a big industrial factory building. Its exterior walls were three blocks thick so it was extremely easy to hide all of the pipes and cables and such even when I was embedding my machines in the walls (and the floor). But from an aesthetic point of view, it looked pretty bad...

I also have the "pretty or functional, but not both" issue. These days I try to go for functionality first and then pretty it up later once I've got materials to spare. I don't build for aesthetics from the start because I don't have the materials for it, and I always end up getting too entrenched in my original base to even consider moving to a prettier base later on.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone import some villagers so their base / town has a more populated feel?
I tried that and they killed the aura in my base because they kept riding my arcane levitators. Then they walk right into your face as you're crafting or placing wiring. Eventually I just stuck them all in a pen and put a trading Post nearby. Pesky villagers.

I wouldn't dream of using them in my base in 1.6.2 without a muffler block

Reactions: PierceSG

lazaruz76

Jul 29, 2019
I know that there are some players that make an area of the base for villagers. Monkeyfarm and dataless822, both on YouTube, are vanilla players that have done this. Data less even included a breeding system and torture area for them.

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019
Right now Im working on my new base (its the 3. on the same server) and now I have a final design for it. I was planning making dome's but it would take to long time and with that I want to build my base in a void age so I decided to make rooms that is 27x27x16 (outside measure) connected with a hallway on 5 blocks long. The size of the room fits with biggest multifarm, alveray, mob spawner, coal coke ovens etc. So the plan is to have one room with 36 alverys, one room with 8 HP boilers, the farms get a room each and 4 mob spawners in one room where there can be 4-5 mobs per "box".

Each room will have doors (drawbridge) that can be closed from a central room.

The library will be bookcases with enchanted books maybe divided in area (armor, tools, weapon).

Right now Im planning maybe 9 or 12 rooms so it will be a big base :D

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Right now Im working on my new base (its the 3. on the same server) and now I have a final design for it. I was planning making dome's but it would take to long time and with that I want to build my base in a void age so I decided to make rooms that is 27x27x16 (outside measure) connected with a hallway on 5 blocks long. The size of the room fits with biggest multifarm, alveray, mob spawner, coal coke ovens etc. So the plan is to have one room with 36 alverys, one room with 8 HP boilers, the farms get a room each and 4 mob spawners in one room where there can be 4-5 mobs per "box".

Each room will have doors (drawbridge) that can be closed from a central room.

The library will be bookcases with enchanted books maybe divided in area (armor, tools, weapon).

Right now Im planning maybe 9 or 12 rooms so it will be a big base :D

There used to be an epic dome building program on the computercraft forums. It was replaced with a general purpose shape builder, but I have a softspot for that dome builder...I still use it. Really makes it nice when all you have to do is check it every few minutes and toss a few more stacks of (stone) in it.

ThePixie35

Jul 29, 2019
I actually want to see a recommendation for a decent shape builder with CC. Is there a goto program?

Another question, do you place limitations on your builds? Like, no "magic" such as enderchests etc?

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019