Rolling Machine

Zarthalian

Jul 29, 2019
Can anyone explain to me how to use a rolling machine? I'm trying to make mixed metal ingots and I'm unable to because I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Zarthalian

Jul 29, 2019
How do you power it? I tried connecting it to a typical generator/batbox system but that did nothing, then I realized it needed MJ to power it but I don't know how to produce that.

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
Type engine into NEI and pretty much all of those will generate EU. If you already have an EU system in place then I suggest an electrical engine from forrestry. It basically takes in EU and outputs MJ.

burnedbacon

Jul 29, 2019
Redstone engine is most basic way to produce MJ. It doesn't produce much but it gets the job done, slowly.

tunnen

Jul 29, 2019
Magmatic engines are fairly easy to build and will accept buckets of lava which is an easy way to produce MJ in the early stage. But as said earlier, electric engines will enable you to convert EU to MJ.

If I remember correctly,

Magmatic engines ramp up from 0 to 4 MJ/t for about 18k MJ per bucket of lava
Electric Engines provide 2 MJ/t from 6 EU/t
Redstone Engines provide 0.01 MJ/t or something ridiculously small with the recent changes.

So I would suggest using something other than a redstone engine.

Magmatic engine is from Thermal Expansion
Electric Engine is from Forestry (There are also some upgrades available to tweak the input/output values)

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
if you really want a cheap BC energy source, try using a biomass engine from forestry, add a lava bucket/cell/can and fill the fuel slot with buckets of milk, kindly donated by a cow.
it produces only 1 MJ, but hey, milk is free, you only need to find a lure a cow to your base.

Luingar

Jul 29, 2019
sorry for necrobump but i have the same problem. It's fully powered (green bar is full) but nothing is happening. I'm assuming that little half-arrow is supposed to be filling? cuz it's not.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
sorry for necrobump but i have the same problem. It's fully powered (green bar is full) but nothing is happening. I'm assuming that little half-arrow is supposed to be filling? cuz it's not.

Does the recipe show what it's going to make? Have you double checked this is correct? Have you enough mats in there to make more than one item? If you don't have enough, you might need to click on the picture of the finished item to make it start.

tunnen

Jul 29, 2019
Basically what Skirty_007 said. If you only have enough items to make one, it won't start automatically. You need to click on the picture of what it's going to make for it to use up the remaining items from the crafting grid. If you have enough items in the crafting grid to make more then one crafting, then it will automatically keep producing until it gets back to the last batch. I guess it's so that people who can't remember the recipe, can easily just walk away and come back to add more items without having to look up the recipe every time.

A fully powered rolling machine only takes a few seconds to create mixed metal ingots. You'll notice the power bar drop sharply (Assuming you don't have an overpowered power grid). I think the internal storage is equal to the power required to complete 1 crafting cycle. So even if your power is off, it'll have a residual charge to complete 1 batch of crafting.

RivingtonDown

Jul 29, 2019
Basically what Skirty_007 said. If you only have enough items to make one, it won't start automatically. You need to click on the picture of what it's going to make for it to use up the remaining items from the crafting grid. If you have enough items in the crafting grid to make more then one crafting, then it will automatically keep producing until it gets back to the last batch. I guess it's so that people who can't remember the recipe, can easily just walk away and come back to add more items without having to look up the recipe every time.
It's mostly there for automatic crafting - it gives you the ability to pipe materials in and pipe finished product out. Same reason Autocrafting Tables, Carpenters, Thermionic Fabricators, (Project Tables), etc... keep their crafting grid layout.

cigg

Jul 29, 2019
I started using blulectric motors to power most machines, works well and looks good, powered with 15 solar panels and 2 windmills into 5 batt boxes and set up of a batt box-> engine->machine
works nice for my working environment of using the furnaces and varies machines for building.

Zerren

Jul 29, 2019
if you really want a cheap BC energy source, try using a biomass engine from forestry, add a lava bucket/cell/can and fill the fuel slot with buckets of milk, kindly donated by a cow.
it produces only 1 MJ, but hey, milk is free, you only need to find a lure a cow to your base.
Nowadays this is a bad idea since using milk burns through the lava now. Use a magmatic engine instead if you've got lava.

Maicol9608

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know why but my MJ disappears as soon as it gets in the rolling machine, I'm powering it with a redstone engine under it. I'm trying to make a commercial steam engine for my quarry.

dc0110

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know why but my MJ disappears as soon as it gets in the rolling machine, I'm powering it with a redstone engine under it. I'm trying to make a commercial steam engine for my quarry.
Redstone engines no longer power machines, only wooden pipes.
You'll need an engine that burns a fuel of some kind.

EDIT; too slow again :)