My New Puppy

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well it's not really a puppy. It's a turbineless-steam boiler-EU generating unit:

<< 2x36HP boilers -> 36 industrial steam engines -> 20 magma crucibles -> 32 thermal generators >>

Side;

v2njDPA.png

Front;

utWxAiY.jpg

Back;

3bqIZR2.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1377843454][/DOUBLEPOST]Whoops, 4x steam boilers.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
28 x 32

Though that doesn't account for the fact that one boiler produces 144 MJ/t rather than 150 MJ/t, which is what 5 magma crucibles can accept. It also doesn't factor in the 5% energy loss by redstone energy conduit. It'll be a little less than that figure.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
So 768 EU/t if those 32 thermal generators are all running around the clock. Less if the crucibles cannot keep up.

For the sake of comparison: if you used steam turbines you could be getting 1,800 EU/t out of the same 4 boilers. The downside is a few bars of steel and a minute of manual maintenance per day.

I like your build, though. Pipes and stuff going everywhere!

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
I don't have the time to replace turbines. That's 18 turbines to fuck around with per set up. This set up will run continuously off of 8 boilers, I just need to wait for the steel to process first before I can build the next four boilers.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I don't have the time to replace turbines. That's 18 turbines to fuck around with per set up. This set up will run continuously off of 8 boilers, I just need to wait for the steel to process first before I can build the next four boilers.

9 turbines per 4 boilers, not 18.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Nevermind, my folly is that I am powering 36 engines off of four boilers, in reality I should be powering 72. I need to double my engine count, back to the drawing board.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Alternatively, you could switch to low pressure boilers and leave your setup completely identical otherwise. Advantages include a faster heatup time (resulting in a one-time 75 million MJ worth of extra energy output per boiler), and not needing any steel to craft the boiler body.

Or remove half the boilers from each segment, otherwise leaving them identical. Might leave "holes" in the setup though.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well the wait isn't much of an issue, it just means I go do other things. Planning for materials generation is a key portion of project management, even outside of FTB.

The biggest consideration, for this project, is that I will be building at least three more of these 4xboiler setups. I am building them in "portions" as it'll allow me to build a modulated prototype. With that prototype I can make adjustments/perfect the design, the build it again and again with less mistakes. It'll also give me a chance to gauge whether my biofuel generation can keep up. That is one of the more important points, as to why I am building things in "stages".

This is how I plan most of my projects. It's mainly an engineering things, so I am unsure if the concepts really make sense here.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well, from a technological perspective, if you consider that a puppy is a pet, you might consider than this engine set up is also something that requires time & care to maintain/keep healthy. So it is almost the same, you might come to appreciate it.

PowerConverters, like some other mods makes things too easy. I prefer the challenge.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well, from a technological perspective, if you consider that a puppy is a pet, you might consider than this engine set up is also something that requires time & care to maintain/keep healthy. So it is almost the same, you might come to appreciate it.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Looks fun!
Have you compared this EU output to what you'd get using BC Consumers --> IC2 Producers?

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
It's less, it's even less than using steam turbines.

I didn't want to use powerconverters and turbines aren't automate-able.

Someguy

Jul 29, 2019
From now on, all my thread titles will be mentioning puppies. Or other small, cute, furry animals.

Also, nice build.