Finding an End Portal

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know how you could unless you made some radar/compass style thing that pointed in the direction and then well i dunno went solid when stood over it. But I'd be tempted to make it semi expensive and require ender pearls as fuel :D

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Good point.
Got any ideas for mods to do it in more of a "tech" or "advanced" way?
Something like the thaumometer, an item that points to the nearest end portal. Made with a couple of ender eyes, of course, plus some other exotic stuff like diamonds & blaze rods for "balance". Maybe it should have limited range, so you have to run around the world randomly (or throw one eye and go thataway) until you come within X blocks of it and it suddenly goes "ping" and starts guiding you to it.

I just had an idea. If it was made with two eyes, and the item renders with the eyes looking towards the portal, you'd have to turn around or switch to third-person front-facing view in order to see which way they are looking. That would be annoying, but also rather creepy. Especially if it went cross-eyed when you're right by the portal.

Reactions: Pokefenn

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
What about a static ender eye? Something that you place onto a tower and it points/marks the direction to the nearest stronghold?

That would enhance the vanilla mechanic, rather than making is essentially useless.

Reactions: Lord Wumbo

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
So instead of throwing them, you build a tower and look in the direction it is pointing, tear down the tower and re-build it somewhere else to get a new sighting?

Or, make 2 towers, and triangulate.

Or possibly a single-use compass, uses the ender eyes, and points the direction for 5 seconds. The point is that, prior to getting to The End, ender eyes are tricky to get, and that's supposed to make getting to the stronghold difficult. Making something that's basically continuous would take that challenge out, as well as removing the challenge of following the eyes.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Another approach could be to allow players to somehow build their own portals that could be "attuned" to reach the end. Maybe an upgrade module to Enhanced Portals 2?

Reactions: PhilHibbs

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Or, make 2 towers, and triangulate.
How is that different from throwing two eyes and triangulating?
Making something that's basically continuous would take that challenge out, as well as removing the challenge of following the eyes.
Lots of mod items "remove the challenge" of vanilla mechanics. Quantum armor removes the challenge of taking damage. Wand of Lightning removes the challenge of hitting things with arrows. Jetpacks remove the challenge of walking over the ground. UU-Matter removes the challenge of mining for resources.

It was never that much of a challenge anyway, and if you're the sort of person that does find it difficult, well, how much fun is "damn I've used up 20 Eyes of Ender and have no idea what to do now"? I have a friend who has difficulty when it comes to spatial awareness. I think she'd have given up on the game if I hadn't helped her find the portal. I think that even with a mod item like this, a lot of people will do the chuck-and-chase thing because it's probably something that you could do earlier in the game than making an Enderscope (yay, it has a name now).

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Fair enough, although, personally, it's always been one of the main things that have prevented me going to the end, and usually the only thing keeping Mildred the Ender Dragon safe.

Also, Enderscope would be a bad name. That would make the process of using it to find the portal and Enderscopy.

"Excuse me while I have an enderscopy to find a portal to a dark place."

Reactions: casilleroatr

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
What about a static ender eye? Something that you place onto a tower and it points/marks the direction to the nearest stronghold?

That would enhance the vanilla mechanic, rather than making is essentially useless.

As soon as I read that, I thought of Sarons Tower.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Another approach could be to allow players to somehow build their own portals that could be "attuned" to reach the end. Maybe an upgrade module to Enhanced Portals 2?

I agree with this, give us the chance to build some crazy contraption that makes it's own portal to The End.

I think overall The End could do with some love and attention, just like how the Nether is so much more then what it was before. One thing that is mentioned a lot is that once you've been to The End, enderpearls are no longer a rare resource (well, they are not normally if you build the correct mob spawner in the overworld), so perhaps add a new mob that replaces 95% of the spawned endermen. This new mob doesn't drop enderpearls.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with this, give us the chance to build some crazy contraption that makes it's own portal to The End.

I think overall The End could do with some love and attention, just like how the Nether is so much more then what it was before. One thing that is mentioned a lot is that once you've been to The End, enderpearls are no longer a rare resource (well, they are not normally if you build the correct mob spawner in the overworld), so perhaps add a new mob that replaces 95% of the spawned endermen. This new mob doesn't drop enderpearls.

Having been in a half-dozen worlds with no end portal already, I'd really enjoy a non-cheaty way to make up for junk destroying portals or rendering the ender-eyes useless. I mean, sure, there MIGHT be an end portal somewhere in this recent server world, but the ender eyes always go to someplace where it isn't, regardless of where you throw it from.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Well, with TE introducing Liquid Enderpearls, and with the crazy stuff in Tinkers, perhaps Ender Ingots could be smelted, and crafted into "bricks/blocks" to build a framework which then is activated somehow to make a portal. Also opens up End themed tools.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
I would be all for an ender portal needing something like a glowstone ring, around a 3x3 pool of ender. That would be cool.

NOTE: If you're making your own portals there, you would also kind of need a way of getting back without going through the end cutscene.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
One thing that is mentioned a lot is that once you've been to The End, enderpearls are no longer a rare resource (well, they are not normally if you build the correct mob spawner in the overworld), so perhaps add a new mob that replaces 95% of the spawned endermen. This new mob doesn't drop enderpearls.
I think that's a terrible idea! Well, I suppose I still have my bees...[DOUBLEPOST=1377784770][/DOUBLEPOST]
NOTE: If you're making your own portals there, you would also kind of need a way of getting back without going through the end cutscene.
Why?