Finding an End Portal

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Meh my daughter found the end portal with 10 Eyes in about 5 mins, not sure it warrants wasting a modders time on it.

And that's about all the time it takes, if there are no problems with worldgen or portal creation. I've been on the stiff side of luck more times than not. Out of my last 10 worlds, I've tried to find end portals in 7 or 8 of them, and only managed in 3. The portals did not even exist.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
They are nearly always within 1000m from original spawn, players have trouble finding them who move the spawn point a silly longs ways off the original one.

Even if you replace the mechanic for creating an End portal you couldn't make it too complicated or people would just give up and find the original ones with eyes.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
They are nearly always within 1000m from original spawn, players have trouble finding them who move the spawn point a silly longs ways off the original one.

Even if you replace the mechanic for creating an End portal you couldn't make it too complicated or people would just give up and find the original ones with eyes.

I know how to find them, mechanically, but thanks for the summation.

In every case, I have used ender eyes to locate the position where the portal should be and have proceeded to try to find them. In two worlds, the eyes took me to a location with no stronghold, no portal, no nothing, and no matter where I went in the world (I circled spawn at 1400-ish blocks), that same point was the only destination eyes would go to.

In many cases, I will find a stronghold, but the portal is not present. I spent a week tearing one fortress apart block by block before convincing the admin to actually bring up the world in worldedit and check. In other cases, the eye takes me somewhere but there is no stronghold, or the stronghold is, like, 2 random blocks of cracked stone sticking out of the middle of a wall, bisected by a mineshaft and a dozen ravines.

I, personally, would welcome a legitimate way to create an end portal using mods.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
I know how to find them, mechanically, but thanks for the summation.

In every case, I have used ender eyes to locate the position where the portal should be and have proceeded to try to find them. In two worlds, the eyes took me to a location with no stronghold, no portal, no nothing, and no matter where I went in the world (I circled spawn at 1400-ish blocks), that same point was the only destination eyes would go to.

In many cases, I will find a stronghold, but the portal is not present. I spent a week tearing one fortress apart block by block before convincing the admin to actually bring up the world in worldedit and check. In other cases, the eye takes me somewhere but there is no stronghold, or the stronghold is, like, 2 random blocks of cracked stone sticking out of the middle of a wall, bisected by a mineshaft and a dozen ravines.

I, personally, would welcome a legitimate way to create an end portal using mods.

If one adds GT to unleashed or magic bees to Unhinged as well as using biomes o plenty for world generation, one can breed draconic bees without visiting the end and then use the GT teleporter to teleport directly to the end dimension (a dragon egg has to sit next to the teleporter for dimensional travel). Alternatively, one could use Xenos Reliquary to make a dragon egg. But I've not been able to get that teleporter working in a server environment. Works great in single player though.

I've also seen strongholds spawn with only a room or two and no portal, but there should be two others. The annoying bit is getting far enough away from the first one that the eye will float toward another one.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
If one adds GT to unleashed or magic bees to Unhinged as well as using biomes o plenty for world generation, one can breed draconic bees without visiting the end and then use the GT teleporter to teleport directly to the end dimension (a dragon egg has to sit next to the teleporter for dimensional travel). Alternatively, one could use Xenos Reliquary to make a dragon egg. But I've not been able to get that teleporter working in a server environment. Works great in single player though.
Ah. I'm unlikely to add GT to a modpack (I don't even use IC2 at this point), but that's good to know, thanks.

I've also seen strongholds spawn with only a room or two and no portal, but there should be two others. The annoying bit is getting far enough away from the first one that the eye will float toward another one.
Yeah. Last vanilla server I played on, 2 out of 3 of the strongholds were broken, and I do not know how the third one wasn't. The portal was floating over the middle of a ravine with a mineshaft just -barely- missing it. If you look up 'unlucky' in the dictionary, I'm there. ;)

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Ah. I'm unlikely to add GT to a modpack (I don't even use IC2 at this point), but that's good to know, thanks.

Understandable, just pointing out the one method I am aware of for getting into the end via a mod. It would be interesting to see more alternate options for directed cross dimensional travel.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
I think it would be fairly cool if there was a mod for using wireless redstone and satellites to triangulate the signal a end portal was producing? I dunno just a idea

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
Those eyes are really annoying to use, they can be quite buggy when it comes to decide what direction the closest fortress is. I can even stand in the same spot watching my pearls go in one of two possible directions.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'm surprised Mystcraft doesn't provide a solution. Eight ender eyes around an unlinked Mystcraft book for example. No more complicated or expensive than vanilla mechanics, but not an easier.