So rumors are GregT is now an IC2 dev

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Personally, I have a much more fundamental and basic problem here.

This is GregoriousT. I cannot take the risk he will simply crash users out of a snit-fit again. Therefore, I will not and cannot use IC2 or include it in any mod pack I am involved in going forward. It's... really that simple. It's not that I think he is a bad person, or that I have a grudge against him, I am simply not willing to risk my users by exposing them to possible crashes the next time he gets upset with someone.

Everything else he may or may not do to the mod is now irrelevant. Content is irrelevant. The mere fact that he has access to code and is able to push changes without oversight means I am not going to touch it with a barge pole.

Aetherr_

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I have a much more fundamental and basic problem here.

This is GregoriousT. I cannot take the risk he will simply crash users out of a snit-fit again. Therefore, I will not and cannot use IC2 or include it in any mod pack I am involved in going forward. It's... really that simple. It's not that I think he is a bad person, or that I have a grudge against him, I am simply not willing to risk my users by exposing them to possible crashes the next time he gets upset with someone.

Everything else he may or may not do to the mod is now irrelevant. Content is irrelevant. The mere fact that he has access to code and is able to push changes without oversight means I am not going to touch it with a barge pole.
Greg won't do that. He is only there for bug fixing and api fixing. He also stated that he know what he is there to do. This isn't greg's mod, Richard, Player, and Thunderdark are there to over see it. Also you can just look at the change log to see what has been changed. (You weren't ever going to include IC2 ever right?)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Greg won't do that. He is only there for bug fixing and api fixing. He also stated that he know what he is there to do. This isn't greg's mod, Richard, Player, and Thunderdark are there to over see it. Also you can just look at the change log to see what has been changed. (You weren't ever going to include IC2 ever right?)
I find it amusing that you seem to think that you can offer a guarantee on someone else's actions. You may believe what you wish, but I will not take the risk that you are wrong.

As I stated previously when Greg squared off against mDyio... I'm simply not going to use any mod GregoriousT starts tinkering around with. Now that includes IC2. So long, and thanks for all the fish.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
[jumping shark picture snipped]
In all fairness, this is a situation where 'you keep using that phrase, but it does not mean what you think it means'.

Jumping a Shark basically means they are adding features to try to encourage people to come back when in reality it does the opposite. The problem is more fundamental than that. Feature changes are irrelevant. It is the coder with a record for crashing users that I have a problem with.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with your crash point, but it's an area that is not addressed in FTB. And the analogy does work since Jumping the shark is a phrase that has a bit of a nebulous meaning. Generally, it’s the moment in which a beloved television show “goes bad.” More specifically, it’s when the premise itself becomes stale. It’s the event horizon of television: the moment when you realize, as a viewer, that a show has passed the point of no return and it’s never going to return to its former glory.

Isn't that where we are with IC2?

Reactions: ApSciLiara

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
I'm withholding judgment on the actual IC2 changes until I actually get to see them for myself. Is there an actual summary or video showing them off?

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
Before in the discussion with Aether you were calling into question the validity of change-logs, but now you need them to determine what has change.

I don't mean to be terribly sarcastic, just trying to understand the contradiction.

Best way of figuring out whats changed is playing with it, if documentation can't be trusted.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Before in the discussion with Aether you were calling into question the validity of change-logs, but now you need them to determine what has change.

I don't mean to be terribly sarcastic, just trying to understand the contradiction.

Best way of figuring out whats changed is playing with it, if documentation can't be trusted.

Did I say I need them? I asked for documentation. Documentation does not equal "I NEED CHANGELOG." However, even a link to the changelog would be more helpful than just sarcastically misinterpreting my words and telling me to just play it. "Just play it" is rather vague. Play with what? Should I just pore over every single minute detail of IC2 to try and spot differences?

If you have nothing helpful to say, perhaps you should just ignore my post instead of trying to show off your snarkiness? All I want is to know what exactly the new changes to IC2 are. I'm sorry if that offends you so greatly.

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
Technically change-logs are a form of documentation most other forms kept by modders don't contain version changes/fixes which is exactly what your looking for.

As for the link to the IC2 changelogs, they don't seem to keep the details on the wiki's up to date at all anymore so you have to visit the download page http://ic2api.player.to:8080/job/IC2_lf/changes.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
If you're looking for the Experimental changes, you'll want to switch to the experimental branch for that:
http://ic2api.player.to:8080/job/IC2_experimental/changes

Not that a lot of that is going to make sense to the layman. Honestly, if you're wanting to see what's new and actually going to stick, I would advise avoiding that and patiently waiting for something official to announced. A lot can change in the course of development. I know it doesn't make for good forum fodder to say that, of course, but I guess I'm boring like that.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you! :)

Yeah, that changelog is pretty unreadable. Trying to divine changes from that is like trying to decide how good a cake tastes by reading the recipe.

300g of flour, mmm very tasty.
An egg and an egg yolk, how playful

What's this though, this cake has raw wheat in it hmm suspect. Maybe endermen technology...

I am very happy with my 1.5.2 world so I am not very eager to update so I am happy to wait and see what the new IC2 becomes. I respect that Shneekey has a responsibility towards his modpack's userbase so he has to take quite an absolute approach to GregT. I know I will never use Gregtech again but I am not going to strike off IC2 just yet. If the new IC2 is good then I will probably keep it when I update but I feel like x4 ingots is a bit ridiculous (might be useful for Gregtech players I suppose though).

Reactions: SpitefulFox
Status
Not open for further replies.