Family Gaming

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Staxed, did you ever get your family-friendly server up and running?

I am hoping to get it up this weekend, had a very busy last 2 weeks so haven't had a chance to do it yet. The server itself is already running, I just need to install some world edit/permission plugins to it and setup autobackups...then it'll be ready. Hoping tomorrow, possibly sunday.

Going to PM everyone that showed interest after it's setup.

Reactions: Stocks

whd23

Jul 29, 2019
I am hoping to get it up this weekend, had a very busy last 2 weeks so haven't had a chance to do it yet. The server itself is already running, I just need to install some world edit/permission plugins to it and setup autobackups...then it'll be ready. Hoping tomorrow, possibly sunday.

Going to PM everyone that showed interested after it's setup.

Staxed -

May I ask what you're doing to the server? I've got a FTB Direwolf20 1.5.2 server up and running and I'm trying to figure out what other mods would make for a happy server experience.

Your and Indie's posts were very timely as I had just gotten the server running last night and was considering a post this morning regarding server rules, mods, and protection.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Staxed -

May I ask what you're doing to the server? I've got a FTB Direwolf20 1.5.2 server up and running and I'm trying to figure out what other mods would make for a happy server experience.

Your and Indie's posts were very timely as I had just gotten the server running last night and was considering a post this morning regarding server rules, mods, and protection.

At the moment I'm not 100% sure, I'm going to be planning that tomorrow most likely. For my past servers that I've admined, protection was pretty much just worldguard and worldedit because they offer a lot. I haven't seen if they are compatible with an FTB server though so that's what I still need to research.

(also, to anyone that has mentioned interest in the family friendly server...there are a few alterations I've done to the standard unleashed modpack, added redlogic, etc...so it will required adding a few mods to FTB. I'm hoping to get a private pack made for it eventually, but for starters I will provide a download for everyone).

glepet1962

Nov 15, 2012
I, too, would be interested in a family friendly server. I run one now for my two adult kids and their friends. I'm 51 (divorced), daughter is 22, son is 19. Right now they have other young adult interests so I'm left tinkering around and wandering the empty streets of our mc village by myself. :)
It would be cool to be able to play with those with similar views.

Reactions: Staxed

whd23

Jul 29, 2019
At the moment I'm not 100% sure, I'm going to be planning that tomorrow most likely. For my past servers that I've admined, protection was pretty much just worldguard and worldedit because they offer a lot. I haven't seen if they are compatible with an FTB server though so that's what I still need to research.

(also, to anyone that has mentioned interest in the family friendly server...there are a few alterations I've done to the standard unleashed modpack, added redlogic, etc...so it will required adding a few mods to FTB. I'm hoping to get a private pack made for it eventually, but for starters I will provide a download for everyone).

Staxed:

I'm offering this out of ignorance, but this seems like it would be appropriate:

ForgeEssentials

For all members interested in a family-friendly server, what rules/guidelines do you think would make a server family-friendly? Some things that I would like to see:

• No swearing, including phonetic alternatives (for example "fuk")
  • No griefing
  • No trolling for personal information (example "A/S/L?")

PvP on or off?
Economy?

Let's see if we can figure out a basic, agreed-upon set of rules.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I run into the problem that my son wants to play creative mode or 'skydoesminecraft' type mods/maps that to me are ridiculously boring, but he doesn't enjoy the machines/tech mods like I do. Do you guys just play separately or do you suck it up and play what is boring to you? I try but I can only take it for so long before quitting.

Maybe it's an option to play FTB but give him op so he can spawn stuff in with NEI? That way he's more or less playing creative mode. Give him some power armor so he can fly as well and he will hardly be able to tell the difference.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Staxed:

I'm offering this out of ignorance, but this seems like it would be appropriate:

ForgeEssentials

For all members interested in a family-friendly server, what rules/guidelines do you think would make a server family-friendly? Some things that I would like to see:

• No swearing, including phonetic alternatives (for example "fuk")
  • No griefing
  • No trolling for personal information (example "A/S/L?")
PvP on or off?
Economy?

Let's see if we can figure out a basic, agreed-upon set of rules.

I don't really think there needs to be an agreed set of rules for two separate servers...

However, my plans involve the first three you mentioned, of course people will get a chance (maybe a 3 strike system then temp/perm bans for swearing, trolling...griefing is autoban).

PvP will probably be disabled by default but people can turn it on if they wish, I have plans to build an arena for fun battle/tourney's. I'm debating an economy or not...with FTB and all of the machines available to get pretty much whatever you need, I think an economy would be pretty pointless though.

I will also be using essentials certainly :D gotta have the lovely commands

whd23

Jul 29, 2019
I don't really think there needs to be an agreed set of rules for two separate servers...

However, my plans involve the first three you mentioned, of course people will get a chance (maybe a 3 strike system then temp/perm bans for swearing, trolling...griefing is autoban).

PvP will probably be disabled by default but people can turn it on if they wish, I have plans to build an arena for fun battle/tourney's. I'm debating an economy or not...with FTB and all of the machines available to get pretty much whatever you need, I think an economy would be pretty pointless though.

I will also be using essentials certainly :D gotta have the lovely commands

Sorry if I was unclear. I'm not attempting to define the rules/guidelines for your server at all. I was just trying to get a discussion going regarding what users might like to have as the rules on a "Family Friendly" server before such a server was opened for players.

I'm still kicking around the idea of opening my server to folks who would like to play in a family friendly environment but I don't really want to do a lot of admin. I figured that if the users helped to define the rules then there would be a lot less admin required, that's where the "agreed-upon" came from.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry if I was unclear. I'm not attempting to define the rules/guidelines for your server at all. I was just trying to get a discussion going regarding what users might like to have as the rules on a "Family Friendly" server before such a server was opened for players.

I'm still kicking around the idea of opening my server to folks who would like to play in a family friendly environment but I don't really want to do a lot of admin. I figured that if the users helped to define the rules then there would be a lot less admin required, that's where the "agreed-upon" came from.

Gotcha :D yeah, the first 3 you said are certainly good ones.

-PvP I don't really think would be agreed upon very well, as just because it's family friendly doesn't mean everyone will want to not be killed (this is where I think multi world come into play, let people choose).
-Topics...personally I think having political/religious/etc type topics makes for a more "community/family" feel...I think on a family friendly server this is more allowable since hopefully people will be more civil and able to have discussions while disagreeing at the same time
-Understanding that kids are around - making sure people know that there are children playing and that they might not be the best builders in the world...don't downgrade/insult builds, etc...

Reactions: glepet1962

glepet1962

Nov 15, 2012
When I log onto a server I want to have ZERO concern that anything is missing, moved, damaged, etc. When I 'tour' someones base I don't touch anything and I don't open anyones chests to see what they have. As I get more comfortable with everyone on the server then I'm ok with someone borrowing or using machines as long as I know and it gets replaced.
I'm not a fan of 'pranks' either. Just....don't. :)

bigtwisty

Jul 29, 2019
This "Family" server sounds quite interesting. Could even develop into friendly competition between families and be a real neighborhood like experience. If this ever gets off the ground I'd be really interested in moving in with the Twisties!

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
This "Family" server sounds quite interesting. Could even develop into friendly competition between families and be a real neighborhood like experience. If this ever gets off the ground I'd be really interested in moving in with the Twisties!

I will let you know when I get it up and running, will be this weekend most likely.

Though you give me an interesting idea...adding Towny to the server...and each family can start it's own town...dad can be the major, etc...hmm...[DOUBLEPOST=1377270598][/DOUBLEPOST]
When I log onto a server I want to have ZERO concern that anything is missing, moved, damaged, etc. When I 'tour' someones base I don't touch anything and I don't open anyones chests to see what they have. As I get more comfortable with everyone on the server then I'm ok with someone borrowing or using machines as long as I know and it gets replaced.
I'm not a fan of 'pranks' either. Just....don't. :)

certainly! I'm pretty sure that's how the majority of family based gamers are going to feel as well. Pranks between people that are agreed upon would be fine, but if you don't know someone...pranking them would be a no-no. As for chests/messing with stuff...certainly permissions systems would take care of that...only a certain level of trust can be assumed...after that, people will be people...so a safety net is required.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe it's an option to play FTB but give him op so he can spawn stuff in with NEI? That way he's more or less playing creative mode. Give him some power armor so he can fly as well and he will hardly be able to tell the difference.

We played on a friends server and the guy running it wouldn't give anyone any admin privileges.

Stocks

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Staxed,
Thanks for all the work your putting into this. After seeing this thread that Indie started a while back I've really been looking forward to this happening. When you decide on the addional mods, could you post them. Kinda want to tinker with them to see what they do as I've not done much outside of FTB packs for quite a while.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
mytown is the only thing that I have seen protect against computercraft turtles, wand of equal trade/excavation and the like.

The user interface however is really clunky and difficult to navigate or get help on the needed commands.

Pretty sure I haven't seen anything protect against the force wrench yet.