In your next Direwolf20 build, will you bother with IC2?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
IC is great, and if I had a choice of just one mod to play with, it'd still probably be IC2. But I think closed-source mods have no future.

Is there some UU-equivalent in other mods, btw?

Reactions: frederikam

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
IC is great, and if I had a choice of just one mod to play with, it'd still probably be IC2. But I think closed-source mods have no future.

Is there some UU-equivalent in other mods, btw?

You know, I'm fairly sure IC2 is the only way to craft a water source block.

No cooling the nether without it.

Cursey

Jul 29, 2019
I will keep IC2 because I'd rather make a nuclear power plant than a bunch of force engines.

(with Gregtech especially) it actually adds challenge, all the other mods are just too easy and flat out boring IMO

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I find it strange that so many players takes time-consuming as hard, I mean what's hard about requiring 750 rubies to macerate into dust and run it through another machine to get the chrome dusts needed so you can upgrade the very same machine you ran your chrome dust through?

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
I find it strange that so many players takes time-consuming as hard, I mean what's hard about requiring 750 rubies to macerate into dust and run it through another machine to get the chrome dusts needed so you can upgrade the very same machine you ran your chrome dust through?

The mod sort of assumes you'll NEI things, and set up a factory to centrifuge some redstone dust instead.

techno156

Jul 29, 2019
Either way, I still think IC^2 has a good deal of life left. :p You'd be surprised at what it offers, especially with the more common addons. ;)

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
I do like the solar aspect of them, it's really making use of a greener type world and I for one don't object to that but I mostly let someone else who plays with me deal with IC2 since I like getting an infrastructure in place so I can start doing my cool builds

techno156

Jul 29, 2019
I do like the solar aspect of them, it's really making use of a greener type world and I for one don't object to that but I mostly let someone else who plays with me deal with IC2 since I like getting an infrastructure in place so I can start doing my cool builds

Well, IC^2 infrastructure isn't too difficult to get up, it's actually not too bad. :p I think it just needs an update or two, just to 'keep up', but for the moment, I think it's managing extremely well. :)

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
Heh I agree it is in need of an update and it isn't, I can usually get IC2 power up quickly but I just prefer the magmatic power and TE's way of providing MJ

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
Heh I agree it is in need of an update and it isn't, I can usually get IC2 power up quickly but I just prefer the magmatic power and TE's way of providing MJ

I can't agree more with you, it works well but it's starting to get a bit old, yet I personally thinks it's way better than MJ infrastructure.

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
And to answer my own question - MFR is probably a new IC2 (a little less elegant, but with a lot of bonuses), with it's mining lasers as new MassFab.

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
and in what way EU infrastructure is better than MJ?

• Better storage (including a few varieties based on how much you need buffered)
  • Doesn't have to be configured when placed next to an input
  • Cable varieties based on how big your packets are.
  • The ability to hide cables behind CF (in case you don't have any other mods doing that for you)
Just to mention a few, I have only mention power transfer and -storage

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
  • Better storage (including a few varieties based on how much you need buffered)
  • The ability to hide cables behind CF (in case you don't have any other mods doing that for you)
  • TE adds one storage with variable input and output. guess what`s better?
  • again, ability to configure is better than it`s absence.
  • glass fiber everywhere! with occasional HV cables. new buildcraft pipe handle such mechanic better.
  • that`s probably the only advantage of IC2 cables.

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
Sometimes I feel like UE was what was going to step up to the plate and top IC2 completely but then everything just kinda halted in development, mod authors were all over the place and inconsistent and mostly just hard to get in touch with and bring ideas to because few were open to interesting ideas. UE had the texture artists and the ideas and starting code to make a solid replacement, but it just killed itself before it got started.

Now its all in 1.6.2 , and many UE mods are segregated from other modpacks with their permissions.

Electrodynamics seems promising but there hasn't been a change-log update since July 23rd.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Of course EU is going to seem better than MJ if you compare it on EU's terms. But to take your points in turn (assuming Vanilla IC2 for simplicity's sake):
  • IC2 is designed with energy storage in mind. Two of the biggest sources of energy are intermittent, solar and nuclear, so energy storage is important for having a stable power supply (although this is scuppered by having Massfabs which will accept all energy left over, requiring you to throttle your Massfab with a variable amount of MFSUs if you want energy to run your ore processing facility through the night).
  • Its really hard to say which is better, configurable storage or non-configurable storage, because it looks like it comes down to personal preference. I would argue that it is better to be able to configure your storage, as ultimately that block becomes more flexible - and you aren't limited to one output side. Besides, MFSUs need configuration too for redstone behaviour, and its no big deal to set the output of the REC.
  • This isn't a point of superiority for EU over MJ, its a point of difference. Packet size is meant to represent voltage for EU. MJ doesn't seek to emulate voltage and packet sizes are not a big deal. Its just different. Also, Buildcraft has tons of different conductive pipes with different throughput limits, if you want a more complicated cabling experience than provided by the wonderfully user friendly energy conduits.
  • Construction foam is nice but it is only available in 16 forms. Facades work on all buildcraft pipes and there are hundreds of types of facades out there. New mods come along in the Buildcraft ecosystem and they add facades too. Its more flexible. It is a shame that facades don't work on conduits.
And as far as MJ infrastructure in the thermal expansion mould (which many people use over buildcraft pipes) goes: The cables themselves buffer energy and Redstone energy cells offer great flexible storage too, there are more generation methods, including boilers which are extremely efficient. It is also easier to teleport. It is kinder on servers (as far as I have been able to tell anecdotally).

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Why bother. IC2 development has been stagnant for ages. Whoever claims IC2's energy infrastructure is 'better' is just in denial about their 'favorite' mod not being as shiny as it used to be.

You know the project is starting to move again, right?

Reactions: Pokefenn

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
yea, from what I've heard gregtech is a bugfixer and it will be updated some. I hope to an easier and fun degree... I'd really REALLY love an FTB pack to have some form of power transfer, hell I'd even like different engines to produce different power types, get EU to MJ and MJ to EU, and... other forms of power we have? lol I dont remember what the current packs have as far as different types since bluelectric power is gone

Reactions: techno156